The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
What are you actually asking here?

It sounds like your irregular eating habits have you in a binge/restrict cycle, if you eat regular healthy meals in about a week you'll probably find you no longer eat in the same irregular manner.

Mostly wanting opinions.
Original post by drbluebox
Hope someone actually answers me this time rather than avoid it!

Anyway

Spoiler

Not really sure what you're asking here but I'd say there was a bit of denial going on if you reckon your weight has increased but your eating 'next to nothing'... four crumpets and a twix is not 'next to nothing', its a fair amout of calories.
However I hope you can sort out the irregularity of your eating habits.
Not really sure what you're asking here but I'd say there was a bit of denial going on if you reckon your weight has increased but your eating 'next to nothing'... four crumpets and a twix is not 'next to nothing', its a fair amout of calories.

I meant amount not calories, I eat because of boredom or to fill myself up and sometimes cravings but the cravings are mostly when I eat little for days.
Did my last exam :smile: feel rough as, but so glad I managed to stay focused for those 3 hours and get it out of the way! Can concentrate on getting better for a little while now.
Good luck to anyone else doing January exams atm!

Still under the daily recommended allowance though...
Reply 5125
Hope someone actually answers me this time rather than avoid it!

Anyway

Spoiler

I meant amount not calories, I eat because of boredom or to fill myself up and sometimes cravings but the cravings are mostly when I eat little for days.

Hiya mate :smile:

I'm a little confused about what you're looking for. Do you want us to offer how to carry this on? Obviously no-one's going to encourage disordered habits here. Do you want us to help you find out the physical side of the problem?

Spoiler

I'd be interested to know what makes you feel like you don't deserve to have regular patterns of eating as well, because the irregularity concerns me. Do you not feel good about yourself and neglecting yourself in general? Or maybe everything's in a rush and it feels like there's no time to eat or relax? How do you feel before you decide to skip a meal/eat a large takeaway and how do you feel after? If you pay attention you'll probably find you're saying some bad things about yourself that knock you down and make it seem pointless. You probably need to add some more self-love and time out with simple things, like sitting down for a proper meal. It can be your own 'me'-time to let your thoughts wander or reflect on your day, or family and friend time to catch up with those you care for.

If you're eating because you're bored, you might want to look into other things to fill your day with. Any favourite hobbies? Someone, somewhere you want to go visit? The sky's the limit :smile:
Just some thoughts.
Take care of yourself, buddy. :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5126
Hoping everyone's exams are going OK? :smile:

Things are slowly getting better, I'm talking to more people in the real world and doing more of my old things again :smile: but I'm not sure how to handle things with my friend who's recovering from anorexia.

Spoiler

Reply 5127
Riku, your friend, does she know you've also got a psychological eating disorder?

If not, perhaps mention to her that you do, and more often than not even strict anorexics become a bit more tactful. Truth is, we are experts in not just the obsession with food and intake, but experts in detracting if food is the topic at hand!

My two pennies? More than likely she's EXPECTING fixation on the intake/,outgoing foodwise, as anorexics thrive off "oh you're getting gaunt!" or "oh, you poor thing, you look ill"; she was more likely digging for a response like "Are you kidding, you're still wafer thin!!"

Don't say that though. You're feeding the bad part. Mention you're also a bit discomforted by all this talk of food, and it as a topic is -no pun intended- off the table!
Hey guys, I hope you're all okay and coping well with exams. xx
Original post by Riku
Hoping everyone's exams are going OK? :smile:

Things are slowly getting better, I'm talking to more people in the real world and doing more of my old things again :smile: but I'm not sure how to handle things with my friend who's recovering from anorexia.

Spoiler

Riku, I know that this person is your friend but you're not 100% recovered yet and this is the last thing you need.

Spoiler

x
Reply 5130
Original post by TotoMimo
Riku, your friend, does she know you've also got a psychological eating disorder?

If not, perhaps mention to her that you do, and more often than not even strict anorexics become a bit more tactful. Truth is, we are experts in not just the obsession with food and intake, but experts in detracting if food is the topic at hand!

My two pennies? More than likely she's EXPECTING fixation on the intake/,outgoing foodwise, as anorexics thrive off "oh you're getting gaunt!" or "oh, you poor thing, you look ill"; she was more likely digging for a response like "Are you kidding, you're still wafer thin!!"

Don't say that though. You're feeding the bad part. Mention you're also a bit discomforted by all this talk of food, and it as a topic is -no pun intended- off the table!

She does Toto, it came out fairly early on. she couldn't avoid noticing and mentioning some of the things I was eating...I'm not sure whether she's trying to egg on my recovery through her own, but there's certain limits which I'm not yet comfy with that she might have passed already in another way? To be honest it's slightly annoying because she's being a bit of a mum figure and I reckon she's in a worse place than me now-I think that's a way to take attention off herself though, and the questions about her gaining are traps. But I could be wrong.
Good pun all the same :P

Original post by jazzykinks
Riku, I know that this person is your friend but you're not 100% recovered yet and this is the last thing you need.

Spoiler

x

I don't think I could let myself do that to her right now, Jazzy : / I'm not entirely sure she has many other friends, she's only got me and one other on Facebook and she mentions them all the time, but I've never seen them or heard anyone else who knew them. They were supposed to come to the pictures with us for weeks and then were apparently busy last minute. I don't know. I'm a little worried for her.
What confuses me is the way she'll play mind-games, it's like she'll pretend to be working towards recovery and use it as a weapon against me. I know it's bad enough telling anyone a straight answer to 'does this make me look fat', let alone an anorexic.
Hope we can find some mid-way point. x

Original post by diamonddust
Hey guys, I hope you're all okay and coping well with exams. xx

Same to you, Diamond! :hugs: x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Riku

I don't think I could let myself do that to her right now, Jazzy : / I'm not entirely sure she has many other friends, she's only got me and one other on Facebook and she mentions them all the time, but I've never seen them or heard anyone else who knew them. They were supposed to come to the pictures with us for weeks and then were apparently busy last minute. I don't know. I'm a little worried for her.
What confuses me is the way she'll play mind-games, it's like she'll pretend to be working towards recovery and use it as a weapon against me. I know it's bad enough telling anyone a straight answer to 'does this make me look fat', let alone an anorexic.
Hope we can find some mid-way point. x

I know how you feel -- I had the same thing. There were people in hospital that I knew weren't particularly great for me mentally but I couldn't exactly give up on them. I'm not saying you absolutely have to but maybe place some boundaries? As you said, that would be a mid-point. She's wrong to put you in the position where you have to say whether she's fat or not! The problem about her playing mind-games is the fact that she's still not thinking straight and the illness is still quite strong within her. Just try and talk to her and lay down some rules, in a sense. x
Well I don't know what to do!!!!

I'm 13 years old and have a BMI of 15.9 :s-smilie:

I keep on getting pains in my stomach and i eat loads of food but never put any weight on ?? can anybody help me please?????:confused:
Okay, so I've been doing pretty well lately..but today I feel really awful. I don't even know where it come from, I feel fat - I know I'm not fat, but I feel I'm carrying extra weight. When I look at my stomach it's as though I'm seeing flab that wasn't there the previous day. Went to read a book I'm enjoying and I couldn't even read, I literally feel too low to read.
Original post by MelissaJayne
Okay, so I've been doing pretty well lately..but today I feel really awful. I don't even know where it come from, I feel fat - I know I'm not fat, but I feel I'm carrying extra weight. When I look at my stomach it's as though I'm seeing flab that wasn't there the previous day. Went to read a book I'm enjoying and I couldn't even read, I literally feel too low to read.

oooh, babes -cuddles- I was like this yesterday, paranoid i've put ****tonnes of weight on over xmas,

Spoiler

so thats messing with my head, all of my really slim flatmates are complaining they've put on loads of weight and i have AGES until my exams. I just want them over and done with tbqh, before bad things happen i.e that i think not eating is a good idea.

My tutor CANNOT know about this, he already knows about my panic attacks and all that jazz, and i can't give the university another reason they can use to get rid of me. I shouldn't even be here in the first place, i missed my offer at A level and for some reason they went 'we'll take her anyway'
Original post by sophiachick1999
Well I don't know what to do!!!!

I'm 13 years old and have a BMI of 15.9 :s-smilie:

I keep on getting pains in my stomach and i eat loads of food but never put any weight on ?? can anybody help me please?????:confused:

This sounds more physical than mental, and I think it's best you see a doctor; it's probably got more to do with your thyroid/metabolism or other underlying illness rather than an eating disorder.
Make an appointment and put your mind at rest :smile:
urgh. that anon was me...
oooh, babes -cuddles- I was like this yesterday, paranoid i've put ****tonnes of weight on over xmas,

Spoiler

so thats messing with my head, all of my really slim flatmates are complaining they've put on loads of weight and i have AGES until my exams. I just want them over and done with tbqh, before bad things happen i.e that i think not eating is a good idea.

My tutor CANNOT know about this, he already knows about my panic attacks and all that jazz, and i can't give the university another reason they can use to get rid of me. I shouldn't even be here in the first place, i missed my offer at A level and for some reason they went 'we'll take her anyway'

Thank you, I think it's probably a case of the January blues. I don't think only us with an ED go through these thoughts. And regarding exams, if you want to do well..you need to FEED your brain. It would be the worst time to fall back into that trap, and don't think when you finish them you can restrict either. It's a endless cycle that you need to break out of for good, don't look to it as a comfort blanket or a familiar place. Because if ED was a blanket, it would be rougher than sandpaper, full of spikes and laced with stinging nettles. And who wants to sleep with that?
Reply 5138
It's weird because... Listen to this.

After hard recovery I am..

8st1.
5'7.
bmi18.4.
Bf%12.5.

I have a healthy body fat but not frame, yet my uncle said I was " looking like ye've been enjoying yer cakes".

your body is desperate to regenerate, and pussyfooting around with "trying to recover" will result in "desperate regeneration" which isn't great.

Heal yourself PROPERLY.

PAPA TOTO HAS SPOKEN.
****ting myself about going home tomorrow and weighing myself. Before I left I was at my lowest weight (NOT an unhealthy weight) and I've tried to spend this week eating when I want as a 'stuff you' gesture to the thoughts in my head but now it's the time where I'll see the damage I've done and probably see a gain of about 6lbs on the scale. It's been so cold in my uni house that I've been eating near constantly just to take my mind off the freezing conditions...

Couldn't fit into my nice jeans this morning, eurgh. I hope this will go better than I think.

:hugs: Hope you're all ok.

Quick Reply

Latest