The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi Minerva,

I decided to email Girton and i just got a reply from the admissions tutor. She said that the files for medicine had not been returned to the college yet. What does this mean? Could it mean that my application is still under consideration by another college? I doubt it is tbh because surely if it was they would've informed me by now. Other than being considered for an open offer, what other options are there?

Thanks
Original post by jamil78613
Hi Minerva,

I decided to email Girton and i just got a reply from the admissions tutor. She said that the files for medicine had not been returned to the college yet. What does this mean? Could it mean that my application is still under consideration by another college? I doubt it is tbh because surely if it was they would've informed me by now. Other than being considered for an open offer, what other options are there?

Thanks

When did you receive that email? today?
Rejected for HSPS post-reinterview at Selwyn College. Awell, I don't think Oxbridge was really for me. I especially got the feeling after one of the professors asked me "If you were to come here do you think your accent would improve?" During the interview. ... I don't think I would have fitted in lol. I had an amazing time, and otherwise found the whole application process really enjoyable. Best of luck to everyone else still waiting. And a big emotional thank you to everyone who's helped along the way.
Has anyone been pooled at Girton? Really anxious to find out when they are going to let me know, and by what method!!
Reply 5144
Just been fished by Selwyn!! This has been such an amazing experience and I am so glad I can end it on a high after such an up and downhill ride :smile:
Just drowned or rather, asphyxiated by being thrown out of the pool.....expecting it for a while though so I feel fine and really no different :smile: already my sights were set on Durham anyway so hopefully by March.....:biggrin: Thank you everyone for being supportive and generally a good laugh over this troublesome time. Best of luck to you all! xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kamijyo touma
When did you receive that email? today?

Yeah, are you a fellow medic?
Reply 5147
Original post by Northern_Ireland
I especially got the feeling after one of the professors asked me "If you were to come here do you think your accent would improve?" During the interview. ...

You should give that as feedback to the admissions secretary of the college - making it clear that you're not complaining, just letting them know.

I'm pretty sure that would be one of the types of questions that they really aren't supposed to ask, even if they mean them with the best of intentions. You're a UK&NI citizen, and your accent is as valid as any other region of the country. You're not speaking English as a 2nd language!

Commiserations, and good luck in whatever comes next for you.
Reply 5148
Original post by Northern_Ireland
Rejected for HSPS post-reinterview at Selwyn College. Awell, I don't think Oxbridge was really for me. I especially got the feeling after one of the professors asked me "If you were to come here do you think your accent would improve?" During the interview. ... I don't think I would have fitted in lol. I had an amazing time, and otherwise found the whole application process really enjoyable. Best of luck to everyone else still waiting. And a big emotional thank you to everyone who's helped along the way.
I completely agree with Stray here -that is not an appropriate question, whether kindly meant or not.

Very best of luck with your next steps - there will be plenty of good things along the way, I'm sure.

Original post by Stray
You should give that as feedback to the admissions secretary of the college - making it clear that you're not complaining, just letting them know.

I'm pretty sure that would be one of the types of questions that they really aren't supposed to ask, even if they mean them with the best of intentions. You're a UK&NI citizen, and your accent is as valid as any other region of the country. You're not speaking English as a 2nd language!

Commiserations, and good luck in whatever comes next for you.
I have to say, my reaction on reading the above post was :eek:
Original post by amg_22
Just been fished by Selwyn!! This has been such an amazing experience and I am so glad I can end it on a high after such an up and downhill ride :smile:

Wow, congratulations. When and how did you hear? Also, were you re-interviewed?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Minerva,

Thanks

On the basis that no one in this thread appears to have had a post-pool medicine rejection (judging by the document Minerva has made) I would assume that none of the unsuccessful files have returned. Perhaps they are all kept until the open offers are resolved... i.e. everyone goes into consideration for them but they have some criteria to reduce the number of potential open offer receivers.
Reply 5151
Yippee, just got an offer from homerton, for Nat Sci bio, after reinterview.
Sounds like a friendly place, and I can walk on the grass!!
Reply 5152
Wow, congratulations. When and how did you hear? Also, were you re-interviewed?

like a couple hours ago and yes :smile:
Reply 5153
Hey everyone, I decided to send an email to my original college to ask whether the decision for my application had been made, as I did not get an interview and have not been contacted since the 4th. I applied to Fitzwilliam to read History of art and they answered that they should know a final decision on my application by the 25th January. What could this mean? I just find it strange they would answer that given the fact they finalized their decisions about a week ago...
Yeah, are you a fellow medic?

Yeah. Pooled by Robinson and still waiting. I guessed from the email you have got they have yet to make the final decision, hopefully? Good luck.
Original post by cath1509
Congrats!!!!!!! Pembroke is amazing! Was it today?? :biggrin: we needed a moral boost in the pool of fish :biggrin:

Sorry, I got the letter last week, I'm new to TSR, I just signed up.
Original post by JimJohnnyJones
On the basis that no one in this thread appears to have had a post-pool medicine rejection (judging by the document Minerva has made) I would assume that none of the unsuccessful files have returned. Perhaps they are all kept until the open offers are resolved... i.e. everyone goes into consideration for them but they have some criteria to reduce the number of potential open offer receivers.

So do you think that those who haven't heard are in that category? Girton have around 9 spaces, they give out about 3-4 direct offers and the rest are pooled applicants. I was just hoping that after the reinterview stage they may have reconsidered my application. However seeing as though they don't even know where my application is, it seems very unlikely. I think my only hope left is the open offer. In 2011, applicants that were being considered for an open offer were sent emails and made to wait until February. I don't think all pooled applicants were sent that email and even then i think very few actually got an offer. Do you have any idea what the chances are?
Original post by clarakrz
Hey everyone, I decided to send an email to my original college to ask whether the decision for my application had been made, as I did not get an interview and have not been contacted since the 4th. I applied to Fitzwilliam to read History of art and they answered that they should know a final decision on my application by the 25th January. What could this mean? I just find it strange they would answer that given the fact they finalized their decisions about a week ago...

It might be because you've been pooled and another college has marked you under the fabled "B" category - they are waiting to complete second-round interviews before making a decision on you.
Reply 5158
Original post by The Polymath
Thanks :tongue: I keep getting excited when my phone buzzes... but I'm repeatedly disappointed :frown:

Hi, is there a 'last realistic day' after which I am unlikely to get a post-interview offer?
I don't know for certain, but I would have thought that for MML you would have heard by the end of the week if it's good news.
Original post by Minerva
I don't know for certain, but I would have thought that for MML you would have heard by the end of the week if it's good news.

Thanks. And for Econ... :colone: (I think we can safely say it's not going to happen)

Latest

Trending

Trending