The Student Room Group

Books to read before applying to medicine. Interested in Neuroscience.

Hi,

I'm interested in neuroscience and am wondering if any of you could suggest any books to do with that. I've read books like Mountains beyond mountains and Complications so i'm interested not so interested in whats its like to be a doctor. More of the science behind it. Any suggestions?

Dominic
The Private Life of the Brain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
There's plenty of time to learn the science (especially neuroscience, it isn't exactly super exciting page-turning stuff) when you're studying, stick to pop science things that try and make it a bit more interesting... 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat' by Sacks is a good pop neuroscience book. 'Hallucinations' is a new book by him as well, it's new and I haven't read it but going by his previous books it should be interesting.
Reply 3
What Beska said.
Reply 4
Check out Susan Greenfield :smile:.

And "A short introduction to the brain" :smile:
There's some excellent reads on this subject in the pop science genre, 'private life of the brain' by Susan Greenfield and pretty much anything by Oliver Sachs are probably the best.

Also, not neuroscience but check out 'bad science' by Ben Goldacre.
Enjoy finding neuroscience interesting now because that will be drilled out of you in short measure.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Enjoy finding neuroscience interesting now because that will be drilled out of you in short measure.

Q.F.T.
Reply 8
Original post by Mushi_master
Also, not neuroscience but check out 'bad science' by Ben Goldacre.

I think his new one, Bad Pharma, is even more of a must read for any medic/future medic. Not taking anything away from the Bad Science recommendation though. It's worth it for the Gillian McKeith chapter alone.
Reply 9
To quote one of my neuroscience lecturers...
'There is a reason Ladybird Books never published Baby's First Neuroscience Book'
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kinkerz
I think his new one, Bad Pharma, is even more of a must read for any medic/future medic. Not taking anything away from the Bad Science recommendation though. It's worth it for the Gillian McKeith chapter alone.

Totally forgot that existed, cheers for reminding me!
Reply 11
Phantoms in the Brain. I found it to be a very interesting read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending