The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
I did :tongue:

Thank you so much for such a helpful and insightful post.

As for telling Cambridge..... every year I consider whether to contact them and have a chat with them about how dreadful this process is. Maybe I should email the CAO with a link to this thread (and the ones from previous years) and a couple of very large question marks. I have no doubt that admissions tutors work long and hard during the Pool and that they do their best to make the process as fair as they can. What I do take issue with is how there is no consistent (and enforced) standard for the timing and nature of communications with the applicants, so that - for instance - some colleges are allowed to be so cavalier in their attitudes towards applicants that it's been known for news of a rejection to turn up on Track before the unfortunate has received their personal letter. That, in my view, after everything that these applicants have been through, is totally shameful and not worthy of a world-class university - well, actually, not worthy of any university at all.

/rant :biggrin: :biggrin:

Do it (or... I'm happy to do it. This is awful, it's definitely not a good system!)
Original post by Minerva
I did :tongue:

Thank you so much for such a helpful and insightful post.

As for telling Cambridge..... every year I consider whether to contact them and have a chat with them about how dreadful this process is. Maybe I should email the CAO with a link to this thread (and the ones from previous years) and a couple of very large question marks. I have no doubt that admissions tutors work long and hard during the Pool and that they do their best to make the process as fair as they can. What I do take issue with is how there is no consistent (and enforced) standard for the timing and nature of communications with the applicants, so that - for instance - some colleges are allowed to be so cavalier in their attitudes towards applicants that it's been known for news of a rejection to turn up on Track before the unfortunate has received their personal letter. That, in my view, after everything that these applicants have been through, is totally shameful and not worthy of a world-class university - well, actually, not worthy of any university at all.

/rant :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry to go against general anger here, but what's wrong with finding out on Track? You only find out on Track from other unis. (And other unis don't do you the courtesy, which Cambridge does, of giving you notice that you will find out on a given day if you are a straight rejectee or offeree.)
Original post by shamika
Do it (or... I'm happy to do it. This is awful, it's definitely not a good system!)

I would join in, if I got a rejection through track then I would take it as an insult personally :sadnod:

I've been lurking this thread for a few days now, I still have my fingers crossed for everyone waiting :h:
I haven't received an answer so far. Does this mean that the window for offers to be made has been closed? :frown:
Wether admission Tutor asks a Secretary to type a rejection letter or he /she uploads it on Track... does it really matter? Both are initiated by the college. :rolleyes:
Reply 5245
Original post by Dumb Economist
Wether admission Tutor asks a Secretary to type a rejection letter or he /she uploads it on Track... does it really matter? Both are initiated by the college. :rolleyes:
Yes.

Applicants put in a huge amount of extra effort for an application to Cambridge, compared with any other university except, possibly, Oxford. Attending for interview costs money, which some people may find difficult. The LEAST the university can do is to ensure that their communications are properly sequenced so that pooled applicants receive their rejection letters well before Track is updated. End of, frankly.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Sorry to go against general anger here, but what's wrong with finding out on Track? You only find out on Track from other unis. (And other unis don't do you the courtesy, which Cambridge does, of giving you notice that you will find out on a given day if you are a straight rejectee or offeree.)

Original post by Dumb Economist

My issue is with the general waiting around by colleges rather than who tells you. Colleges have made up thier minds in most cases, so they should let people know and put them ou of thier misery. I agree with what you're saying about Track.
Original post by Minerva
Yes.

Applicants put in a huge amount of extra effort for an application to Cambridge, compared with any other university except, possibly, Oxford. Attending for interview costs money, which some people may find difficult. The LEAST the university can do is to ensure that their communications are properly sequenced so that pooled applicants receive their rejection letters well before Track is updated. End of, frankly.

I agree to some extent that letters are better, but I had 4 interviews at 4 different universities, two required an overnight stay and the other two were 4 days apart so due to distance I had a 4 night stay in Edinburgh. I had to travel 500 miles return for each of these ( each journey took 4 and a half hours each way as I am in Scotland). This was at considerable cost...I was notified of the result on track (one rejection and 3 acceptances) ! And I would rather have known earlier than wait for a letter to arrive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5248
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Everything.

May I respectfuly suggest that you don't know what we are talking about? You got an offer, and you were not a poolee. Your comments are therefore deeply insensitive.
Original post by Minerva
Everything.

May I respectfuly suggest that you don't know what we are talking about? You got an offer, and you were not a poolee. Your comments are therefore deeply insensitive.

A bit harsh I think. My son is still involved and personally all he wants, and is going to take in for a few days, from either a letter/email/phone call/track is YES/NO, IN/OUT, OFFER/REJECTION. Some expansion and feedback might be nice for future reference but changes little in the here and now.

It is the outcome he wants to know, ultimately the rest is dressing and social nicety.

Others may want it delivering more gently I agree, but the post you were responding is a valid opinion , even if not the same as yours or others.
Reply 5250
Original post by stalkingparent
A bit harsh I think. My son is still involved and personally all he wants, and is going to take in for a few days, from either a letter/email/phone call/track is YES/NO, IN/OUT, OFFER/REJECTION. Some expansion and feedback might be nice for future reference but changes little in the here and now.

It is the outcome he wants to know, ultimately the rest is dressing and social nicety.

Others may want it delivering more gently I agree, but the post you were responding is a valid opinion , even if not the same as yours or others.

I think TimmonaPortella phrased it very insensitively, and this is what Minerva is responding to.

Many (though clearly not all) other Unis are forced by sheer number of applicants vs admissions staff to treat applicants as academic sausages in the sausage machine. In contrast, throughout the applications process, Cambridge emphasise that every applicant is treated like an individual.

More so, they require the applicant to put in extra effort specified by the college - submit work, take tests, fill out extra application forms - all under the headline "We need this stuff to find out as much as possible about YOU, a real human being."

When they deliver news via Track, the impression is that the applicant is no longer a real person, but just a discarded sausage.

For some (not all by any means) people this would be a very jarring experience in which they have been downgraded from interesting individual to non-person, by virtue of not quite making the grade for an offer. They are unlikely to know this is what they are experiencing, at least initially, they'll just feel extra rejected. They might also be cross with themselves for being so attached to a place at Cam, when it's quite possible that actually they're more shocked by the loss of the respect that Cam had previously shown them.

Delivering the news via email just before updating Track would be a simple courtesy that would make a big difference. In real terms it changes nothing, but it allows the continuation of the current psychological relationship between the applicant and the college. Breaking off that relationship simultaneous with the rejection would amplify it for most people.

So - I don't think it's about gentle / not-gentle, it's about 'we still think of you as a person' vs 'you are just a UCAS number to us now'.

I have no doubt that the overall admissions people at Cam would be quite fed up with colleges that don't even manage to dispatch a templated rejection email simultaneous with updating Track.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5251
OMG track update!!

Cambridge updated my rejection on UCAS. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
After 11 (very long) days in the pool, just made an offer by Hughes Hall for affiliate theology! :biggrin:

I'd just like to say a massive thanks to Minerva for this thread, and best of luck for all my fellow fishes (drowned or otherwise) in all their future endeavours :h:
Still nothing from cambridge today.
Reply 5254
Original post by swraysford
After 11 (very long) days in the pool, just made an offer by Hughes Hall for affiliate theology! :biggrin:

I'd just like to say a massive thanks to Minerva for this thread, and best of luck for all my fellow fishes (drowned or otherwise) in all their future endeavours :h:
Congratulations :biggrin:
Reply 5255
just got my rejection letter.
Reply 5256
Original post by stalkingparent

Stray has explained it much better than I. I acknowledge that your son - as well as others - wants to know ASAP, one way or the other. However, my point is that the colleges that are letting decisions turn up on Track before a letter has been received - whether by snail mail or email - could and should be acting more promptly, and affording the courtesy of a letter need not delay things at all.

Here's hoping that everyone will know where they are very soon.
What is the 'b' thing people are talking about
Reply 5258
Original post by .Username.
What is the 'b' thing people are talking about
Colleges are allowed to fish one applicant from the Pool per college per subject, to hold in reserve to compare with re-interviewed candidates, provided no other college has said they will make them a definite offer or re-invite them for interview. The code used for such an applicant is 'B'. There are not many applicants so coded.

It is, however, a group that is likely to be waiting longer than most for a final decision.
Has anyone else not heard back from reinterviews yet...? Loads of poolees seem to have and I havent :frown:
Minerva- Does this mean I should give up hope and await the rejection letter?

Latest

Trending

Trending