The Student Room Group

Maths AQA C1 revision - 14th January 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dannyb2012
Hi mate, I started it I missclicked and put negative even though its correct and when you do everyone follows lmao. yeah sorry about that. your right by the way it should be 4x^2

Oh ok.
Reply 281
Original post by 394130
1a) Sub in the x value of 7 from (7,k). This proves that k is indeed -4.
1b) -10/6 or -5/3
1c) Can't remember exactly, think I got -5x+3y-21=0
1d) think I got either (12,-7) or (7,-12)

2a) -1.5
2b) 0>-1.5 so the height is decreasing
2c) Ended up as 6-2, 4 for second derivative

3a) root 18 = three root 2
3b) 2/7 i.e. 2 root 2 over 7 root 2 (this is the quick method rather than the convoluted method to get the same answer)
3c) I got 5-root6, but I don't believe it's right.

4a) (x-3)^2+2
4b) 2>0, always above x-axis - no solutions.
4bii) Vertex = (3,2)

Sketch crosses y at +11, vertex at (3,2)

Transformation:

[3]
[2]

5a) Remainder is 16 i.e. -5+21
p(3)=0

p(x)=(x-3)(x-3)(x+2)

Curve crosses x at -2 and kisses x-axis without crossing it at +3

6)a Gradient = 9
y-4=9(x-1)
y=9x-5
6b) Integrate it - 2x^5-2x^3+5x+c
Forgot to actually find c. Whoops.

7) A circle with C(-3,2) has equation x^2+y^2+6x-4y=12
a). x=0 and y=-2, y=6
b). R=5.
Pythagoras - root 34
c) Got wrong answer for this, I am sure. Real answer was apparently root 9 i.e. 3 from root (34-25)=3

8a(ii) show that 4k^2-20k+9>0
b = (2k+1) a = 2 c = (3k+1)
(2k+1)^2 - 4*2*(3k+1) simplifies to 4k^2-20k+9 which factorises to...
(2k-1)(2k-9)>0

1/2, 9/2 are critical values

k<1/2 and k>9/2

For the transformation question we had to transform the curve (x-3)^2+2
to the curve x^2 so i put

[-3]
[-2]

as the vector translation, because that would move the graph -3 in x and -2 in y bringing it back to the x^2 curve.

unless you do it the other way round for some reason? it was definitely translating (x-3)^2+2 to x^2 though, not the other way round. argh i'm unsure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Qwob
For the transformation question we had to transform the curve (x-3)^2+2
to the curve x^2 so i put

[-3]
[-2]

as the vector translation, because that would move the graph -3 in x and -2 in y bringing it back to the x^2 curve.

unless you do it the other way round for some reason? it was definitely translating (x-3)^2+2 to x^2 though, not the other way round. argh i'm unsure.

Theres a similar question in the attached file I attached have a look at it, its (solution.jpg3,2)
Reply 283
Theres a similar question in the attached file I attached have a look at it, its (solution.jpg3,2)

Hmm interesting, are you sure that question is asking to translate from the equation of the curve given to x^2 curve? and the not the other way round? i really dont get how translating it by that vector would get it BACK to x^2?
solu.jpg
Original post by Qwob
Hmm interesting, are you sure that question is asking to translate from the equation of the curve given to x^2 curve? and the not the other way round? i really dont get how translating it by that vector would get it BACK to x^2?

Aaah just check this lol soz 4 quality.
Reply 285
solu.jpg

Aaah just check this lol soz 4 quality.

yep that question is asking about going from x^2 to the equation of the curve given, so in the as exam we did today it will be the opposite way round, going from the equation of the curve given to x^2. hence

[-3]
[-2]

technically a gcse level question
Original post by Qwob
yep that question is asking about going from x^2 to the equation of the curve given, so in the as exam we did today it will be the opposite way round, going from the equation of the curve given to x^2. hence

[-3]
[-2]

technically a gcse level question

It is Gcse grade C but its worded in a diff way which catches us all out.
Reply 287
Original post by 394130

Transformation:

[3]
[2]

Transformation is -3
Reply 288
*Transformation is a translation of [-3,-2] :smile:
Original post by daniya12
Transformation is -3<br />
Original post by GeneralOJB
For 100% UMS:

75 - January 2009
75 - June 2009
75 - January 2010
75 - June 2010
70 - January 2011
75 - June 2011
73 - January 2012
72 - June 2012

The good news is that recently they've been under 75, gives leeway for silly mistakes!
Original post by PrinceyJ
The good news is that recently they've been under 75, gives leeway for silly mistakes!

Yes, that is why I hope the exams are difficult so the boundaries are lower. I have no trouble answering difficult questions, but I have trouble being 100% perfect. I always do better on hard exams than easy exams UMS wise.
Original post by GeneralOJB
Yes, that is why I hope the exams are difficult so the boundaries are lower. I have no trouble answering difficult questions, but I have trouble being 100% perfect. I always do better on hard exams than easy exams UMS wise.

Yeah sometimes you'll lose marks for missed signs and stuff like that and you hate yourself haha.
Reply 292
Original post by daniya12
Transformation is -3

Yeah that question caught soo many people out!
I was nearly caught out too, but in the last 10 minute,s I went back, read it, didn't realise it, but it went into my brain like after 2 minutes and I was like "Oh no!" and changed it just in time :P
Reply 293
Original post by ReviseLastMinute
P1020499.jpgDid people draw this for the graph of x squared +6x+11 with vertex (3,2)

Um that's wrong?? If the equation you've given there is right, which I think it is, then the vertex is -3,2. To work out the vertex you can use completing the square or use -b/2a. You may get a mark or two for the y=11.
Reply 294
It was definitely the minus way round, caught every single person I've talked to out bar 4! Evil tricksters! :P
Reply 295
Original post by JD1234
Um that's wrong?? If the equation you've given there is right, which I think it is, then the vertex is -3,2. To work out the vertex you can use completing the square or use -b/2a. You may get a mark or two for the y=11.

No the graph was y = (x-3)^2+2, therefore solving for x would give you x = 3, so the vertex would be (3,2). but i made the silly mistake of getting the wrong transformation :frown: it was actually: [-3]
[-2]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 296
I didnt work out c at the end i just put +c, and i also wrote the inequality as (something)<k>(something) instead of (something)<k OR >(something) how many marks do you think I'll drop?
Reply 297
Original post by iAkash
No the graph was y = (x-3)^2+2, therefore solving for x would give you x = 3, so the vertex would be (3,2). but i made the silly mistake of getting the wrong transformation :frown: it was actually: [-3]
[-2]

The equation was x^2+6x+11.. so it's (x+3)^2+2....
Reply 298
Original post by iAkash
[-2]

There was a transformation question for that graph!?!?!?!?!?!?
Original post by JD1234
There was a transformation question for that graph!?!?!?!?!?!?

Did you complete the whole paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending