The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by Fornacite
Finished! Remarkably few people have for this late in the day... Awkward questions or the NYE effect?

If gold is the one with pH, look up some equations for pH and pKa, you should notice something :smile:

I have, still nothing.
Reply 1101
Guys, the rg answer is very small, don't get scared by the 10^-8, but I used 0,.........
One other thing, the smaller diameter is 0.4 nm and they want you to use the underwater length of channel tunnel.
Original post by Claudius
Guys, the rg answer is very small, don't get scared by the 10^-8, but I used 0,.........
One other thing, the smaller diameter is 0.4 nm and they want you to use the underwater length of channel tunnel.

Thank you! :biggrin: This post finally got me the answer. They really should have specified...
Reply 1103
Original post by Lutski
I have, still nothing.

In order to work out the answer, you are required to understand the equation the question is alluding to.
Try researching the 'Acid Dissociation Constant' and see if you can find a way of manipulating the equation
I'd just really like to say, silver looks very unimpressive compared to every other challenge. Actually, it would've been much better if they put a dictionary in the background of that periodic table instead of a beehive.

But copper wasn't bad in my opinion. They put water in the background, and every chemist should know the weird things about water. I remember I mentioned it the first time my science teacher explained that solids are denser than liquids

I hope we'll see less wordplay and more chemistry in the next few months.
Reply 1105
Ag was stupid
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1106
Original post by Vinkal
still stuck on entry level
help, hint, anyone

cinnamon
For those who want a fast escape from gold here is the answer:

Spoiler

Done it at last :biggrin: little late, due to NYE celebrations despite being rather ill - not advisable, if anybody was thinking about it...
Yeah, for silver the beehive had me thinking that it was something on the components of honey at first, then I thought maybe it had something to do with ancient egyptian alchemy because of all the elements that were highlighted (then I remembered there was neon and krypton...)

And re: many posts ago, I meant a (2,2) nanotube. Though a (5,1) or a (4,2) would work as well, but the calculation would be unnecessarily complex :wink: If you use a (2,2) nanotube I think it is the length of the entire channel (50500m) but using 0.4nm and the underwater length works as well, I guess....
How do you do Ag, I'm still doing AS unit 2 chemistry, any help?
Original post by lostproton
How do you do Ag, I'm still doing AS unit 2 chemistry, any help?

I must silver is not really chemistry related..... all those elements that are highlighted their names can be made from other elemental symbols eg NeON and just work out/look up on Internet which 3 are missing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Can anyone PM the answer to Silver - I tried Googling, knew exactly what i was looking for (elements spelt using symbols) but couldn't find a website that gave it to me!!!
Thank you SOOOOOOO much whoever PM'd silver!!
Also, could someone explain, step by step, how to do Rg - can't get the right number, despite using correct amount of sig figs???
Looking forward to this!
How do you do Au, I'm still doing AS unit 2 chemistry, any help?
Could someone please help me with the silver question for January? My friends and I have been trying for ages and still have no idea
Original post by picklepanda
Could someone please help me with the silver question for January? My friends and I have been trying for ages and still have no idea

You have type all the names of the elements shown highlighted on the periodic table, and type them into google, and press on the first link :smile:
Reply 1119
Original post by lostproton
How do you do Au, I'm still doing AS unit 2 chemistry, any help?

Research the 'Acid dissociation constant' and find a way of manipulating the equations in order to obtain the answer

Quick Reply