The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 (approaches and research methods) 15th January 2013 EXAM!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mcbzr
How can you compare the Social Approach with the Psychodynamic Perspective?

Idiographic (psychodynamic) vs Nomothetic (social) as psychodynamic tends to focus on just one unique individual such as Eve and Little Hands and their unique characteristics such as phobia and multiple personality disorder whereas the social approach uses large samples and studies people as a whole, for example in Piliavin's study, the 4000 participants where studied in general in how they reacted to the victim and model but not individually.

They both collect detailed qualitative and quantitative data. For example, Reicher and Haslam performed many psychometric tests garnering how participants were feeling and (I think) they also made video diaries. They were also tested for cortisol levels. In the same way, Eve was tested using psychometric tests, EEGs and interviews.
Reply 61
Does anyone know any controls which I should look out for whilst doing the 13+6 question? I've got things like researcher bias and confounding and extraneous variables but does anyone know of another useful ones? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Briefly outline the individual differences approach to psychology (4)

The individual differences approach is the idiographic approach as it studies those who the other approaches do not, as they do not fit the mould, such as thigpen and cleckly studied Eve white, who had mutiple personality disorder, a disorder that is rare and very unique. It suggests that individuals differ in their psychological characteristics.

Describe two pieces of research that use the individual differences approach to psychology (8)

One piece of research that uses the individual differences approach is Thigpen and Cleckley's study of eve white, Thigpen and cleckley used a case study that collected lot's of information about eve, both qualitative and quantitative, this is typical of the individual differences approach. Thigpen and Cleckley also used triangulation as they used many types of psychometric, psychological, physiological tests and interviews and observations etc, this is used in the individual differences approach as it allows lot's of different data to be collected about the participant. Thigpen and Cleckley also documented the first case of mutiple personality disorder, this is typical of the individual differences approach as they generally provide a basis for other research to be done.

Another piece of research that uses the individual differences approach is Rosenham's study of sane in insane places. Rosenham also used a case study that collected a lot information about the stickiness of labels in a psychiatric hospital, this is typical of the individual differences approach. Rosenham also used triangulation as participant observation was used as well as note-taking, this is used in the individual differences approach as it allows lots of different types of data to be collected. Rosenham also looked at individuals, he looked at sufferers with schizophrenia and other mental conditions, these are individuals and differ in their psychological characteristics, which are typically studied by the individual differences approach.

Strengths and weaknesses question (12)

One strength of the individual differences approach is the research method used. The individual differences approach mainly uses case studies, this enables a lot information, both qualitative and quantitative to be gathered about the participant, it also shows how participants change over time, for example, in Thigpen and Cleckley's study of eve white, a case study was used, and it showed how over time, a new personality came out, Jane.

Another strength of the individual differences approach is that it is useful. The individual diffferences approach is useful as it can explain and help those suffering with mental conditions, such as, in Rosenham, he showed how the labels of mental illness can make any behaviour seem abnormal, this means precautions can be taken by those diagnosing and looking after those with mental illnesses.

A weakness of the individual differences approach is that as the samples are generally small, there is a lack of generalization. For example Thigpen and Cleckley only studied one participant and therefore the results may only be true for females, in the USA, and they may not be representative of other sufferers of MPD.

A final weakness of individual differences approach is that it is difficult to gain objective measurements as qualitative data is mainly used. For example, Griffiths studied verbal utterances, however Griffiths formed a difficult coding system which only he could understand. The difficult lies in quantifying the qualitative data.

Any corrections I HATE individual differences
Preparing for Q8 but if Individual Differences comes up I think I might have to risk Q9 instead. I just can't grasp the approach!
Reply 64
Original post by breakeven
Preparing for Q8 but if Individual Differences comes up I think I might have to risk Q9 instead. I just can't grasp the approach!

Me too!
Original post by stoppy123
Me too!

Is it bad that part of me still has the slightest glimmer of hope that we might get cognitive?
Reply 66
Original post by breakeven
Is it bad that part of me still has the slightest glimmer of hope that we might get cognitive?

Cog, phys, developmental would be SO nice
Reply 67
3 Hours 44 minutes to go to the exam :redface:
Reply 68
Original post by stoppy123
Briefly outline the individual differences approach to psychology (4)

The individual differences approach is the idiographic approach as it studies those who the other approaches do not, as they do not fit the mould, such as thigpen and cleckly studied Eve white, who had mutiple personality disorder, a disorder that is rare and very unique. It suggests that individuals differ in their psychological characteristics.

Describe two pieces of research that use the individual differences approach to psychology (8)

One piece of research that uses the individual differences approach is Thigpen and Cleckley's study of eve white, Thigpen and cleckley used a case study that collected lot's of information about eve, both qualitative and quantitative, this is typical of the individual differences approach. Thigpen and Cleckley also used triangulation as they used many types of psychometric, psychological, physiological tests and interviews and observations etc, this is used in the individual differences approach as it allows lot's of different data to be collected about the participant. Thigpen and Cleckley also documented the first case of mutiple personality disorder, this is typical of the individual differences approach as they generally provide a basis for other research to be done.

Another piece of research that uses the individual differences approach is Rosenham's study of sane in insane places. Rosenham also used a case study that collected a lot information about the stickiness of labels in a psychiatric hospital, this is typical of the individual differences approach. Rosenham also used triangulation as participant observation was used as well as note-taking, this is used in the individual differences approach as it allows lots of different types of data to be collected. Rosenham also looked at individuals, he looked at sufferers with schizophrenia and other mental conditions, these are individuals and differ in their psychological characteristics, which are typically studied by the individual differences approach.

Strengths and weaknesses question (12)

One strength of the individual differences approach is the research method used. The individual differences approach mainly uses case studies, this enables a lot information, both qualitative and quantitative to be gathered about the participant, it also shows how participants change over time, for example, in Thigpen and Cleckley's study of eve white, a case study was used, and it showed how over time, a new personality came out, Jane.

Another strength of the individual differences approach is that it is useful. The individual diffferences approach is useful as it can explain and help those suffering with mental conditions, such as, in Rosenham, he showed how the labels of mental illness can make any behaviour seem abnormal, this means precautions can be taken by those diagnosing and looking after those with mental illnesses.

A weakness of the individual differences approach is that as the samples are generally small, there is a lack of generalization. For example Thigpen and Cleckley only studied one participant and therefore the results may only be true for females, in the USA, and they may not be representative of other sufferers of MPD.

A final weakness of individual differences approach is that it is difficult to gain objective measurements as qualitative data is mainly used. For example, Griffiths studied verbal utterances, however Griffiths formed a difficult coding system which only he could understand. The difficult lies in quantifying the qualitative data.

Any corrections I HATE individual differences

Just one that I can see - Rosenhan used participant observation, not case study.
Reply 69
Good luck guys! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Does anyone know if for the 13+6 question if you had to link your study to emotion or if that was the example in the box?

Posted from TSR Mobile
KNEW OBSERVATION WOULD COME UP, KNEW IT! What did you all say for section B? I chose question 9. I hope it went ok!!
Reply 72
Original post by hannahkathleen
KNEW OBSERVATION WOULD COME UP, KNEW IT! What did you all say for section B? I chose question 9. I hope it went ok!!

i did question 9 too! i thought it was weird that question 8 wasnt an approach :s
Original post by qs2xo
i did question 9 too! i thought it was weird that question 8 wasnt an approach :s

Yeah, we've had reliability come up in class and I could NEVER get my head around it. What studies did you use? (If you can remember, for some reason I forget everything immediately after an exam haha)
Reply 74
Original post by hannahkathleen
Yeah, we've had reliability come up in class and I could NEVER get my head around it. What studies did you use? (If you can remember, for some reason I forget everything immediately after an exam haha)

Used pilavin, milgrim and a bit of r+h for situational and for individual I used brunner, raine, and loftus and palmer.
Reply 75
Omg well that was a curveball OCR. I did question 9 too and used for situational milgram and bandura and for indiviual thigpen and cleckley and griffiths. I couldn't answer the 6 mark question in section A about strengths and weaknesses of nominal data :'( gutted.

I have a feeling that the grade boundaries will be quite low though (fingers crossed!)
Did anyone else hate this exam?
section A wasn't so bad I thought it was weirdly worded though (but that could be because I really didn't want observation to come up)
section B sucked!!!!! Everyone that took the exam was gutted, we had someone throw up another cried in the exam. It was horrible, I did reliability but struggled with finding limitations for it.
Reply 77
Original post by Fluffy socks
Did anyone else hate this exam?
section A wasn't so bad I thought it was weirdly worded though (but that could be because I really didn't want observation to come up)
section B sucked!!!!! Everyone that took the exam was gutted, we had someone throw up another cried in the exam. It was horrible, I did reliability but struggled with finding limitations for it.

Omg tell me about it! :eek: I spent literally all of yesterday revising approaches and perspectives... Which turned out to be so irrelevant to the exam. :unimpressed: And I did reliability as well, my whole school did I think! Hahaa. Knew observation was gonna come up, would've been nice if we knew what you get actual marks for since it's never came up we don't know. :frown: Anyways hope you did well! :biggrin:
Damn it, my teacher deceived me. :tongue: Luckily, I did practise doing an observation practical project a few nights ago which helped a lot in terms of remembering details that needed to be included.

You've got to give OCR their due - they weren't as predictable as they sometimes have been with past exams. :congrats: Was fully expecting either individual differences or one of the two perspectives to come up, or at least a bloody approach or perspective :tongue:, so was kind of mortified to find that neither of the 2 Section B questions were to do with approaches or perspectives. The individual/situational explanations one wasn't bad though I hated parts d) and e) as my mind went blank when I tried to think of studies to support individual explanations of behaviour (and yes I know, there are loads.....pressure does strange things to the mind)! :pinch:
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh god that exam was awful!! Think I've completely messed up Section A because my observation was really to do with facial expressions or emotions. It was just mobile phone usage and how many times because use their phone >.<

Also for Section B I did reliability and basically wrote about experiments a lot :L Arghhhh nasty exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending