The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
Lies. The best bit is in my sig :yep:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hm, why Selena Gomez? The best thing she ever did was dump Bieber.
Original post by danny111
Hm, why Selena Gomez? The best thing she ever did was dump Bieber.

Means Jessica Alba. Yno, the person that was actually in Sin City.
Original post by Colonel.
Means Jessica Alba. Yno, the person that was actually in Sin City.

Are you kidding me?

I was asking why he has Selena Gomez in his sig. And so much of her. Not why she was the best thing about a movie she didn't star in...
Saw Warrior yesterday... Wow!!! It could have been such a generic film, but it was inventive at every turn. Especially loved the disjointed narrative. Nick Note completely stole the show for me, best performance I've seen in years.
Original post by Abiraleft
Gosford Park?

Ok. You got me there.

Fine film. Fine performance by Mr Owen.
Reply 8105
Original post by Colonel.
Clive Owen is the best bit about Sin City.

Shame he won't be in the new one really, I thought they'd keep him and give him a mask or something.
Josh Brolin will do the job well though I'm sure, looking forward to seeing JGL in it too.
Original post by Mo-Amin
Shame he won't be in the new one really, I thought they'd keep him and give him a mask or something.
Josh Brolin will do the job well though I'm sure, looking forward to seeing JGL in it too.

Indeed, I watch movies just because of him even if they aren't really my thing (500 days of summer).
Reply 8107
Indeed, I watch movies just because of him even if they aren't really my thing (500 days of summer).

I've yet to see that, should probably get round to it!
Original post by Mo-Amin
I've yet to see that, should probably get round to it!

It's actually pretty decent, not your typical love story, and I did enjoy watching it in the end.
Original post by Mo-Amin

Yeah. I mean, it's understandable as he did get a new face.

Still...love a bit of Clive Owen. Might just watch Shoot 'Em Up to get over it.

I do the same with Zooey Deschanel, going as far as to suffer through the abominable film, 'Your Highness'. I've watched the pilot for New Girl too, though not gone any further into that show, I've heard it's terrible.
Reply 8111
Re-watched Oldboy again last night, still as good as I remember, with one of the best endings ever.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I do the same with Zooey Deschanel, going as far as to suffer through the abominable film, 'Your Highness'. I've watched the pilot for New Girl too, though not gone any further into that show, I've heard it's terrible.

I've seen the entire first season. It's actually pretty funny. You gotta remember it's not the 40 minutes a drama is which I find means you can overlook some parts if you are entertained for 20 minutes. Schmidt in it is probably my favourite comedy character atm and he can pull an episode along imo.
Reply 8113
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

I happened to catch a little bit of that on TV a month or so ago, and thought it was pretty excruciating. :sadnod: I've heard that it gets better as you go on, but it isn't really in my priorities at the moment to find out. :p:
Reply 8114
Just watched Killer Joe, have any of you seen it and if you have what did you think?

It was underwhelming for me, I went in with pretty high expectations admittedly and the only thing that stood out for me were the performances, I would give it a 7/10 at a push. Everyone one of my housemates completely hated it though. And that scene near the end has got to be one of the most ****ed up things I've seen.
Original post by Deshi
Just watched Killer Joe, have any of you seen it and if you have what did you think?

It was underwhelming for me, I went in with pretty high expectations admittedly and the only thing that stood out for me were the performances, I would give it a 7/10 at a push. Everyone one of my housemates completely hated it though. And that scene near the end has got to be one of the most ****ed up things I've seen.

Well seeing Juno Temple's tits was nice.

Don't know what else to say about that film.
Reply 8116
Well seeing Juno Temple's tits was nice.

Don't know what else to say about that film.

What would you give it out of 10?

For me, the plot was just really thin (I know it was a character driven film but still), annoyed that I didn't enjoy it more.
Original post by Deshi
What would you give it out of 10?

For me, the plot was just really thin (I know it was a character driven film but still), annoyed that I didn't enjoy it more.

I totally agree, I really thought the plot was stupid and that the characters were the more important aspect. And I have really come to appreciate Matthew McCounoughy recently.

But didn't make up for it. 6/10 maybe 7 if I look more at the performances.

edit: yea just checked I got it at 6 on IMDB
Original post by Deshi

I thought it was pretty good actually. Certainly 8/10 for me. Most of all for the astonishing revelation that Matthew Mahogany can do more than merely drippy romcom characters. He acts his socks off in this and is genuinely scary.

In other news, saw Killing Them Softly last night. Boy oh boy, what a dark and seedy take on the gangster movie. Never before have I seen such an un-glamorised view of the criminal underworld. Just about everyone in it is stupid, scummy and pathetic. A very long way from the gloss of say Goodfellas.

Recommended (although can Brad Pitt please - just once - wear something other than long hair and a goatee in a movie FFS!)
(edited 11 years ago)

I read a book about the guy this is based on a few years ago and Michael Shannon is exactly the kind of creepy needed for it.

Quick Reply