The Student Room Group

2013-2014 Cambridge MPhil in Finance and Economics Applicants

Hello Everybody,

I thought to create this specific thread in order to help each other and share opinions specifically to MPhil in Finance and Economics at Cambridge.

Does anyone know how competitive is MPhil in Finance and Economics course relatively to MPil in Finance and Mphil in Economics in Cambridge?

How many places there are for this course?

What stage of the process is your application at?

Anyone got an offer from this course yet?

How long does it take to hear back on average?

When most of the offers will be given out?

I applied for MPhil in Finance and Economics on 12 of Decemberm Status : Awaiting consideration by the department.

I believe MPhil in Finance and Economics in terms of competitiveness is in between of MPhil Finance and MPhil in Economics. Closer though to MPhil in Economics than MPhil in Finance because people who are eligible to apply should have studeid economics as part of their course.

what do you think?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi evryone,

Today (21/12/2012) my status changed from "Awaiting Consideration by the department" to "Under Consideration by Degree Committee" .

I asssume I passed the department stage.

Do you think to passs the department stage is harder than degre committee?

Many Thanks,

Good Luck.
Reply 2
Hi Kostopintos,

I am currently a student on the MPhil Finance and Economics course. There are currently 35 of us on the course at the moment. To be honest under consideration by the degree committee just means your application is under consideration by the department. Some faculties in cambridge will have 2 committees to consider your application but the economics department just had the degree committee stage.
Reply 3
Original post by fon3736
Hi Kostopintos,

I am currently a student on the MPhil Finance and Economics course. There are currently 35 of us on the course at the moment. To be honest under consideration by the degree committee just means your application is under consideration by the department. Some faculties in cambridge will have 2 committees to consider your application but the economics department just had the degree committee stage.

kosto, would you say that everyone on the programme achieved a first class honors undergrad? Mind sharing your brief academic background as well?

cheers
Reply 4
Original post by drugs
kosto, would you say that everyone on the programme achieved a first class honors undergrad? Mind sharing your brief academic background as well?

cheers

Hi my average BSc Economics (top 50 in UK) 1st yr 71.2%, 2nd 69.4% (in 2nd year top 9% out of 174) , Extraciricular= relevant exp (Student Union president ant the college, Student Staff Comittee Meber, Tresurer of Chess Society, Gold Medalist Jitsu, 6th place chess competition in a team, finance related internship in India)

I would think that majority would get at lease 65% but most likely 70% and a few people below that,, just a guess though.Coz many top student will applly.

What do you think guys?

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Kostopintos
Hi my average BSc Economics (top 50 in UK) 1st yr 71.2%, 2nd 69.4% (in 2nd year top 9% out of 174) , Extraciricular= relevant exp (Student Union president ant the college, Student Staff Comittee Meber, Tresurer of Chess Society, Gold Medalist Jitsu, 6th place chess competition in a team, finance related internship in India)

I would think that majority would get at lease 65% but most likely 70% and a few people below that,, just a guess though.Coz many top student will applly.

What do you think guys?

Thanks

I graduated from the University of Manchester with a BSc Economics. 2nd year average was roughly around 75%. Actually if you do get into the course, the general requirement cambridge will give you is 67% in your final year and second upper honors overall. So it is safe to say 99% of the people in the course have a first class honors
Reply 6
Original post by fon3736
I graduated from the University of Manchester with a BSc Economics. 2nd year average was roughly around 75%. Actually if you do get into the course, the general requirement cambridge will give you is 67% in your final year and second upper honors overall. So it is safe to say 99% of the people in the course have a first class honors

I am wondering what were your extra ciriculars and internships at the time of application for the course?

How would you rate my chances?

Is Cambridge postgrad much tougher than BSc Economics at Manchester?

Do you have students on your course from non top UK universities ?

Do you enjoy the course?

Would be great help if you could spend some of your time and answer those.

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 7
I am wondering what were your extra ciriculars and internships at the time of application for the course?

How would you rate my chances?

Is Cambridge postgrad much tougher than BSc Economics at Manchester?

Do you have students on your course from non top UK universities ?

Do you enjoy the course?

Would be great help if you could spend some of your time and answer those.

Thank you very much in advance.

I did an internship in the economist service in my country and an internship in shanghai with a german company. But to be honest a few of my coursemates have never done an internship before, although there are a few former investment bankers here.

To answer your question on students from non top UK universities, yes there are. I have course mates from universities outside of the Russell group. Cambridge seems to recruit internationally, and there are students from a wide range of american and european universities.

Yes the course is very very tough. It very quantitative. You do not write essays but most of the work is problem solving based. The finance modules are pretty standard but the economics modules are a huge step up from my undergrad. And the passing mark for the course is 60%.

Even though it is very tough, I really do enjoy the course. I am getting a much thorough understanding of economics than I could in my undergraduate. And its pretty amazing to be taught by famous professors and people who wrote your textbooks. The main draw though is the student life in Cambridge. The events you get to experience and the quality of talks by famous academics and people here are amazing. I attended a talk by professor ha-joon chang last semester and had to skip a lecture by former thai prime minister thaksin shinawatra because of a formal.

I hope this answered your questions and all the best for your application. Its a pretty long wait so don't get down if it takes really long. Cambridge is well known to take their time with admissions. I only got my offer after 4 months and I had to E-mail and chase for it.
Reply 8
Hi,

Just a quick question as I was hoping you guys could help me.

I am studying Computer Engineering, similar to a lot of you have gotten decent grades (78% both first and second year averages), an award for my first year results (top 3 of 187), captained a programming team twice, gained three internships in the top investment banks (GS & BAML) and go to a world top 100 university (think its like 60th or so), but I'm in my penultimate year so still have a few months before I start applying for Masters

I was interested in moving into computational economics and would like to (based on my readings so far and some online courses) do a phd in the area eventually combining my interests in both, but a masters first. In particular the two year masters offered at Cambridge. (first year for non-economics graduates)

I was wondering what you thought my chances were, if you had any recommendations for what I should be doing between now and my application, any readings etc? I would be really interested to hear your opinions and advice.

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by fon3736
I did an internship in the economist service in my country and an internship in shanghai with a german company. But to be honest a few of my coursemates have never done an internship before, although there are a few former investment bankers here.

To answer your question on students from non top UK universities, yes there are. I have course mates from universities outside of the Russell group. Cambridge seems to recruit internationally, and there are students from a wide range of american and european universities.

Yes the course is very very tough. It very quantitative. You do not write essays but most of the work is problem solving based. The finance modules are pretty standard but the economics modules are a huge step up from my undergrad. And the passing mark for the course is 60%.

Even though it is very tough, I really do enjoy the course. I am getting a much thorough understanding of economics than I could in my undergraduate. And its pretty amazing to be taught by famous professors and people who wrote your textbooks. The main draw though is the student life in Cambridge. The events you get to experience and the quality of talks by famous academics and people here are amazing. I attended a talk by professor ha-joon chang last semester and had to skip a lecture by former thai prime minister thaksin shinawatra because of a formal.

I hope this answered your questions and all the best for your application. Its a pretty long wait so don't get down if it takes really long. Cambridge is well known to take their time with admissions. I only got my offer after 4 months and I had to E-mail and chase for it.

Thank you very much for the information.
Reply 10
Original post by fitzsija
Hi,

Just a quick question as I was hoping you guys could help me.

I am studying Computer Engineering, similar to a lot of you have gotten decent grades (78% both first and second year averages), an award for my first year results (top 3 of 187), captained a programming team twice, gained three internships in the top investment banks (GS & BAML) and go to a world top 100 university (think its like 60th or so), but I'm in my penultimate year so still have a few months before I start applying for Masters

I was interested in moving into computational economics and would like to (based on my readings so far and some online courses) do a phd in the area eventually combining my interests in both, but a masters first. In particular the two year masters offered at Cambridge. (first year for non-economics graduates)

I was wondering what you thought my chances were, if you had any recommendations for what I should be doing between now and my application, any readings etc? I would be really interested to hear your opinions and advice.

Thanks

I would reccomend you to do GMAT or GRE if you really want to make sure you ll get in.

Obviosly reading basic economic books would be helpfull.

In general, I belive you have a great chance to get in as Economics is relativelly less competitive I belive and your profile is very strong if 78% is the same as 78% in the UK grading system.

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by fon3736
Hi Kostopintos,

Thanks for reply.
Reply 12
I had a feeling that mphil economics is harder to get in than the finance and economics. Also is the standard offer 67 for finance and econ?
Reply 13
Errrm not to be bragging but the MPhil Finance and Economics is harder to get in than the MPhil Economics. There are 35 students on the finance and econ course and roughly 65-70 on the MPhil Economics. The required grade on the cambridge economics faculty website is also higher for the finance and econ course. yes it is generally 67%. So far everyone I met in the 3 mphils (econ research, econ, finance and econ) has been asked for 67% in their final year and 2:1 overall.
Reply 14
I am just wondering if anyone has recieved an offer from Mphil in Finance and Economics in Cambridge for 2013/2014 entry?
Reply 15
I would reccomend you to do GMAT or GRE if you really want to make sure you ll get in.

Obviosly reading basic economic books would be helpfull.

In general, I belive you have a great chance to get in as Economics is relativelly less competitive I belive and your profile is very strong if 78% is the same as 78% in the UK grading system.

Thanks

Thanks for the feed back, I wasn't sure about the GRE / GMAT but will definitely look into it further now!
Reply 16
Original post by fon3736
Hi Kostopintos,

Its been two months after submit, I have got an offer from Msc Finance in IC. Coz I actually quite value the job prospect after the course. Compared to IC's finance which is heavily practical and IB oriented, Mphil in finance and eco in Cam seems like a bit grey. Cam's syllabus simply tells we don't give a damn about you finding a job. What do you think of the career opportunities, are there many your coursemante able to secure an good internship so far??
Reply 17
Original post by FangWei119
Its been two months after submit, I have got an offer from Msc Finance in IC. Coz I actually quite value the job prospect after the course. Compared to IC's finance which is heavily practical and IB oriented, Mphil in finance and eco in Cam seems like a bit grey. Cam's syllabus simply tells we don't give a damn about you finding a job. What do you think of the career opportunities, are there many your coursemante able to secure an good internship so far??

On what date of November did you submit you application, FangWei119? Could you share your profile? I sent my application on 23rd of November, however, haven't get an answer yet.
Reply 18
Original post by Jarver
On what date of November did you submit you application, FangWei119? Could you share your profile? I sent my application on 23rd of November, however, haven't get an answer yet.

Very early of Nov, 2nd I guess? I'm having Eco degree in university of Edinburgh, no gmat, one intern in america(boutique investment firm), 69 average last year(which is exp first in my uni)
Im bit worried if Cam doesn't give me offer within a month, I will have pay the deposit to imperial
Reply 19
theres only one ppl I know who's got an offer from this course so far who submit around same time.... but her grades is simply too impressive( almost 90 average from a top 20 uk university in Finance and eco degree).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending