The Student Room Group

Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster - who's next?

I vote WHSmiths, they've already rebranded their airport shops to 'London News Company' sign of things to come?
Perhaps Waterstones might struggle too.

I also have thoughts over the future of Argos since they said they were stopping producing the catalogues and going to focus more on online purchases.

Who do you think is at risk on the high street?

Scroll to see replies

I worry about Boots, because of the fact that the majority of things you can get from there can also be bought from supermarkets or cheaper retailers like bodycare or, to some extent, superdrug.
Reply 3
I disagree with those three, I'd say somewhere such as GAME/Gamestation. Too much online, same as Blockbusters/HMV. WHSmith are always really busy, Waterstones are the only big bookshop left (bar Borders) and a lot of people I know who read a lot prefer to buy from such a shop.

Argos are too unique and a lot of people use it :smile:
Phones 4 u
Reply 5
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I worry about Boots, because of the fact that the majority of things you can get from there can also be bought from supermarkets or cheaper retailers like bodycare or, to some extent, superdrug.

Think I'd be devastated if Boots closed, everything you need under one roof!
Reply 6
pcworld/currys, GAME

soon the high streets would just be clothes retailers, 99p stores and coffee chains
Reply 7
What about travel companies? Thomas Cook were in deep water not so long ago
Reply 8
Original post by pandapops
I vote WHSmiths, they've already rebranded their airport shops to 'London News Company' sign of things to come?
Perhaps Waterstones might struggle too.

I also have thoughts over the future of Argos since they said they were stopping producing the catalogues and going to focus more on online purchases.

Who do you think is at risk on the high street?

Definitely not Argos - my dad works at their head office at a commercial director and there's certainly no issues after their excellent Christmas- Christmas Day was actually one of their biggest ever sales online and things are looking surprisingly good despite their rough patch over the last few years. Homebase has picked up a bit too. Also there's a new catalogue out like next week so I'm not sure about them cutting down.

I was talking about who's next with my dad last night and he agreed with you on waterstones which is such a shame- soon everything will be online only :frown:

He also reckoned Carphone warehouse are on their last legs
Reply 9
Original post by je t'aime
Definitely not Argos - my dad works at their head office at a commercial director and there's certainly no issues after their excellent Christmas- Christmas Day was actually one of their biggest ever sales online and things are looking surprisingly good despite their rough patch over the last few years. Homebase has picked up a bit too. Also there's a new catalogue out like next week so I'm not sure about them cutting down.

I was talking about who's next with my dad last night and he agreed with you on waterstones which is such a shame- soon everything will be online only :frown:

He also reckoned Carphone warehouse are on their last legs

Ah good to hear about Argos would be a shame to see it go.
Yeah, would be sad about Waterstones, I love it in there. Leather armchairs, really helpful staff, so quiet and relaxed, I love it!
Agree with Carphone Warehouse
i really like WHsmith, but they need to sort their prices out:angry:
Reply 11
Original post by MetropolisBoy
i really like WHsmith, but they need to sort their prices out:angry:

Agreed. £4.99 for an A5 notebook, my jaw nearly hit the floor
Reply 12
Waterstone's is probably okay, as someone else said, many readers like to have books in the flesh. But they have the same owners as HMV, bear that in mind
Waterstones? I hope not.
Reply 14
Original post by pandapops
Ah good to hear about Argos would be a shame to see it go.
Yeah, would be sad about Waterstones, I love it in there. Leather armchairs, really helpful staff, so quiet and relaxed, I love it!
Agree with Carphone Warehouse

I know, bookshops are lovely- always nice to go in when out out shopping just for a quiet moment :smile:

Apparently blockbusters and dixons too! Neither of which surprise me tbh. Oh also, morrison's had a bad Xmas- now that did surprise me!
Reply 15
Original post by Skip_Snip
Waterstone's is probably okay, as someone else said, many readers like to have books in the flesh. But they have the same owners as HMV, bear that in mind

Nope, HMV sold Waterstones in 2011.
Reply 16
I know, bookshops are lovely- always nice to go in when out out shopping just for a quiet moment :smile:

Apparently blockbusters and dixons too! Neither of which surprise me tbh. Oh also, morrison's had a bad Xmas- now that did surprise me!

I think out of the big 4 supermarkets, Morrison's is the one I'd least like to shop in, I don't really know why, there's just something about it, but hopefully they'll be ok - losing a supermarket would cause catastrophic job losses.
I'd imagine it's somewhere that is being encroached on by online retailers, that's been the common theme throughout these stories.

Maplin is probably safe, since they've adapted somewhat by allowing customers to buy online and then collect in-store, but I think in general the electronic hardware guys are going to have a rough time.
I think this is a huge opportunity for our high streets. It's the free market at its most ruthless - and its most revolutionary. I'd rather have the dross and the zombie chains cleared out so they can be replaced with shops that consumers actually want to use, stimulating our economy.

Most of these shops have been obsolete for a decade, dead men walking, it's just the recession that's dealt the final blow. The problem with a failing business model that nevertheless has a lot of capital is it's kept running for as long as possible with higher and higher prices while being asset-stripped behind the scenes. This rips off consumers, erodes working rights and enriches fat cats.

It's also a huge ****-you to the real-estate speculators who charge shops such high rent, the same people who ensured it was only chains who could afford the rents on our high streets. I'd welcome some of the air coming out of that bubble. It might even open up more space for residential housing in the city centre, in this era of housing shortages and expensive commuting.

Our high streets will never be empty. There are three sectors that will never leave the high street:
- Bargain bins (charity shops, 99p shops)
- Things where your body has to be there (tanning salons, coffee shops, cafes)
- Shops which offer an "experience" or a unique environment

The third one means the more unique the shop, the more likely it is to survive. That bodes well for the reinjection of some local character into your town centre.

It could also be a golden opportunity for co-operatives and local currency schemes, stuff like that, if high street shops can get together more and work together more to draw consumers away from the Internet and the shopping centres that already use this co-operative model.

By a bad Xmas, they mean 'bad' in relation to the 950m pre tax profits they made during jan 2011 - jan 2012. They are still earning ridiculous profits!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending