The Student Room Group

Possible questions for the Government and Politics exam January 2013 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure if this thread is specific to a particular route but is anyone doing 3C?
Reply 41
Original post by Superunknown17
Not sure if this thread is specific to a particular route but is anyone doing 3C?

Yes! How's revision? Do you have any predictions?
Original post by apple1
Yes! How's revision? Do you have any predictions?

It's ok, I feel semi-confident haha, erm Hispanics I've been told, other than that can't think of anything, I'm hoping for like broad based coalitions for the 45 marker or the nomination process, wbu?
Reply 43
Doing Unit 3C as well, apparently party decline and renewal hasn't come up recently so hoping for that... Some more prediction would be nice though, hardly anyone does Unit 3C at all.
Reply 44
Party decline last came up in June 2011 but if its already come up once will it come up again? Because there's so much they still haven't asked.
I'm hoping nothing comes up on Congressional elections, what do you think the chances are of there being a 45 marker on the 2012 election?
Reply 45
I heard that the chief examiner said that something along the lines of 'Why did Obama win' would be 'too easy.'
I'm trying to look through all the past papers to try and see what hasn't been asked but I don't have access to the Juna 2012 one so does anyone know what topics came up there?
Reply 46
Hmmmmmm, that's true but then could there be a question on presidential elections as a whole? One came up a few years back relating to campaign finance in presidential elections, i'm not sure how else they would link another factor in though.

I know there was a 45 mark question on the Electoral College in june 2012, so that's unlikely to come up again and the only topic that didnt come up was pressure groups for 45 mark questions but I'm not sure what exactly the other two were! There was a 15 marker on iron triangles as well
Reply 47
I think campaign finance was said to never be a 45 on its own so we're safe there :P But I know FECA and BCRA like the back of my hand so I wish it was...

Ahh that's better than nothing! going to cram pressure groups now since it's my weakest topic... When was the last question on affirmative action? If there wasn't one recently it's a safe bet there will be as it's the only thing in Race that can be a 45er... Hoping for something about differences within and between the parties too...
Reply 48
I doubt anything specifically about the 2012 elections results would come up just because the exams were made before that I think, maybe for the summer exam. Haven't revised for race that much, its the hardest for me. Feeling fairly confident but still very nervous. Good luck guys :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Fukubei
Hoping for something about differences within and between the parties too...

Hoping for this one too!! Or anything on minor parties :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by vdoto
Hoping for this one too!! Or anything on minor parties :smile:

Minor parties came up Jan 2012 as a 15 marker, unsure if they could be a 45er... Get the feeling they may not as minor parties aren't very relevant at the moment now that Nader and perot are gone... Though at least I know them if I need them :P

I feel sooooo unconfident though, like I know nothing. I know it's going to go horrible tomorrow so I think I'll start revising again afterwards to prepare for my resit haha
Reply 51
I like differences between/within as well and I think you're right it may come up! but i don't think i could write a 45 marker on it as i don't feel that i have enough notes on it or enough to say for an essay that long at all! does anyone have an essay or notes that on it that they could possibly send me?
Reply 52
Does anyone else think a 45 marker about success of pressure groups will come up? Also I have a feeling party decline/renewal may be a 15 marker!
Reply 53
Original post by mxjc278
Does anyone else think a 45 marker about success of pressure groups will come up? Also I have a feeling party decline/renewal may be a 15 marker!

Yes this exactly! i really want to do something on race or elections for a 45 marker as they are my strongest topics but i'm so worried!
Reply 54
Original post by apple1
Yes this exactly! i really want to do something on race or elections for a 45 marker as they are my strongest topics but i'm so worried!

Hmmm so where do you think affirmative action will pop up? I was thinking maybe a 45 marker about the success? I've also read around about focusing on hispanics.

Either way im completely screwed for this, just way too much to learn at this time of the year imo, barely even started the US politics course LOL!
Reply 55
Original post by Fukubei
Minor parties came up Jan 2012 as a 15 marker, unsure if they could be a 45er... Get the feeling they may not as minor parties aren't very relevant at the moment now that Nader and perot are gone... Though at least I know them if I need them :P

Yeah, it probs won't come up then. :frown:

Original post by mxjc278
Does anyone else think a 45 marker about success of pressure groups will come up?

Hmm, I don't know enough points for a 45 marker on that, only a 15 marker. I have the feeling something about hispanics is going to come up, maybe how influential they are in elections... Not too sure how I would answer that.
Reply 56
Original post by vdoto
Yeah, it probs won't come up then. :frown:

Hmm, I don't know enough points for a 45 marker on that, only a 15 marker. I have the feeling something about hispanics is going to come up, maybe how influential they are in elections... Not too sure how I would answer that.

That they're predicted to overtake whites as the dominant race in 2050? About the border states and how they are massive voting blocks, with 30-40% of the population? Stuff to do with them usually voting republican as they're catholic but being turned off because of racist remarks and harsh immigration e.g Sb1070? Also that 72% voted in favour of Obama
Maybe bring up Marco Rubio and how he could sway hispanics to the Republican side

We did more on hispanic voting than black voting I swear...
Reply 57
Original post by Fukubei
That they're predicted to overtake whites as the dominant race in 2050? About the border states and how they are massive voting blocks, with 30-40% of the population? Stuff to do with them usually voting republican as they're catholic but being turned off because of racist remarks and harsh immigration e.g Sb1070? Also that 72% voted in favour of Obama
Maybe bring up Marco Rubio and how he could sway hispanics to the Republican side

We did more on hispanic voting than black voting I swear...

My mind went blank :colondollar: I know those examples as well. Obviously need to revise a bit more.
Anyone wanna discuss the exam?
Reply 59
Original post by President M.E.
Anyone wanna discuss the exam?

I don't think any exam discussion is allowed until the next day.

For Edexcel: morning exams may not be discussed until 12:00 midnight (UK time) and afternoon exams until 4:30 AM (UK time).
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending