The Student Room Group

Is £17,000 - £20,000 a year good?

I've been asked to apply for a job role for "Video Editor" (that I really want and is something I'm interested in) that is based around 2 hours away from my home and it is £17,000 - £20,000 a year.

Is this a good salary? Is it worth it?

Edit:
I have previous experience before but they were never permanent. So graduating, this is my first opportunity to apply for a permanent role I want to do. Since it is a long way from home it would be necessary for me to move out. Obviously it would be much better if the role is closer (1 hour maximum).
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If its your first ever job that is pretty nice!! Go for it!! Now!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Its a good starter in life, but I think you should look at your spending and ask yourself if its enough + will i have a little saved up every month for rainy days.
Reply 3
Totally depends on the job your applying for does it not? Also it depends whether you are a uni graduate or not. You havent given us much details so we can't say much to be honest.

Do you plan to travel 2 hours each way when you work or do you plan to move closer because I can tell you 2 hour travel journeys will eventually get to you. Depending on your mode of travel it might also eat right into your salary too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Compare it to retail work which is usually no more than 12k if you're a normal worker, than yes, that's a very good starting salary and you can work your way up higher.
Reply 5
You really want to spend 4 hours commuting a day?

The salary is very good for a first job.
Reply 6
depends on:

where you live - ie. salaries should be higher in london due to higher living costs
what industry/type of job it is
your level of education - up to degree/A levels/GCSE etc

Can you provide any more details?
Original post by MAINE.
depends on:

where you live - ie. salaries should be higher in london due to higher living costs
what industry/type of job it is
your level of education - up to degree/A levels/GCSE etc

Can you provide any more details?

Creative/film/video industry.

Film, 2:1.
Congratulation for your first permanent job. If you want to build your career with a good salary then you have to struggle. So it shouldn't matter that the way is around 2 hours away from home.. Think like this: It's just 2 hours away.. chill!
Original post by lalalalalalamember
I've been asked to apply for a job role (that I really want and is something I'm interested in) that is based around 2 hours away from my home and it is £17,000 - £20,000 a year.

Is this a good salary? Is it worth it?

Edit:
I have previous experience before but they were never permanent. So, since finishing university, this is my first opportunity to apply for a role I want to do. Since it is a long way from home it would be necessary for me to move out. Obviously it would be much better if the role is closer (1 hour maximum).

Sounds good for a first job.

It's actually what I would like to study too:smile: It's a good salary. Go for it!

Original post by Seanm1994
No, that's an embarrassing salary.

*Cough* Working class *Cough*

You are embarrassing.
Reply 10

That industry is highly competitive so congrats on finding somewhere that is offering you an actual salary! In that industry thats probably about right if not a little better than average as normally you have to start out as a runner on minimum wage.
Reply 11
Decent starting wage if you can work your way up pretty quickly. If not then it's not great
It depends on a lot of things but as a rough guide, the average salary in the UK is around £26,500 if I recall correctly.
The average graduate salary is around £22,500.

Obviously I don't know anything about you or the job you are applying to so there is little more I can add.
Reply 13
Its a low salary. What is the field of the job? Engineering? Law?
Reply 14
Oil and gas engineering pays, 30-40k. so the salary is poor.
Reply 15
Original post by sharp910sh
Its a low salary. What is the field of the job? Engineering? Law?

It's film so he/she is lucky to even find a job to honest. It's a highly competitive industry.
Reply 16
Original post by sharp910sh
Oil and gas engineering pays, 30-40k. so the salary is poor.

Nice work if u can get it! But some money is better than no money !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would be very happy just living on 15k for the rest of my life. That's about double my current pay per year and it would be comfortable as **** (considering I'll never have a family).
Reply 18
Original post by Dragonfly07
I would be very happy just living on 15k for the rest of my life. That's about double my current pay per year and it would be comfortable as **** (considering I'll never have a family).

Are you a graduate? Also it depends where you live.
Reply 19
It's a decent starting salary, not great but you don't need great if there are promotion prospects or support and development so you can look elsewhere in a few years.
The commute does sound horrendous though - I've had to deal with an 8.30-5 day with some 6 or 7 finishes, and a 45minute+ commute. Make sure you know what you're in for before you commit to that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending