The Student Room Group

Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster - who's next?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I have about £50 of Waterstones gift cards. :eek:

£45 here, but they sold it to a billionaire(?) a year ago so it should be ok

*major sigh of relief*
I think this will actually destroy the gift card market. All this publicity is sure to bring an end to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think at least one cinema chain may go/voluntarily sell their premises to another company. Because not as many people go to the cinema, and they're ridiculously overpriced.

Whenever any of my friends go, they always take their own food and drinks now, and only ever go when there's an offer on tickets (I buy food there, but only because I like popcorn rather than because I'm trying to save the economy).
The government needs to tell Amazon to pay tax or leave.

I'd be perfectly happy to not have Amazon in this country. It's very convenient, but the massive void it will leave would be replaced in no time by companies that pay tax, and high street stores will survive by getting a bigger share of online customers.

It's disgusting that a foreign company can knock out all the tax-paying chains without contributing to the economy.
Reply 64
Original post by Funtry
I disagree with those three, I'd say somewhere such as GAME/Gamestation. Too much online, same as Blockbusters/HMV. WHSmith are always really busy, Waterstones are the only big bookshop left (bar Borders) and a lot of people I know who read a lot prefer to buy from such a shop.

Argos are too unique and a lot of people use it :smile:

Hasn't Borders gone under?

:s-smilie:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I think at least one cinema chain may go/voluntarily sell their premises to another company. Because not as many people go to the cinema, and they're ridiculously overpriced.

Whenever any of my friends go, they always take their own food and drinks now, and only ever go when there's an offer on tickets (I buy food there, but only because I like popcorn rather than because I'm trying to save the economy).

Cinema profits have been rising year on year.

Cinema owners should thank James Cameron - 3D prices mean cinemas are doing great business.

Add to that the ridiculous number of huge movies coming out - this year we have another Hobbit, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, a new Wolverine movie, a new Superman movie, a new Star Trek movie...that's just off the top of my head. I don't think there have ever been such a high density of huge-budget and huge-draw films - and this is set to continue for many years.
(edited 11 years ago)
GAME
PC World

and I always wonder about Carpetright. I never see anyone in there.
Original post by paddyman4
The government needs to tell Amazon to pay tax or leave.

I'd be perfectly happy to not have Amazon in this country. It's very convenient, but the massive void it will leave would be replaced in no time by companies that pay tax, and high street stores will survive by getting a bigger share of online customers.

It's disgusting that a foreign company can knock out all the tax-paying chains without contributing to the economy.

Blame the system, not the participant. As humans, we will always try and achieve the best outcome.

It would also be protectionist to stop Amazon trading in the UK and this would breach WTO regulations.
Reply 68
I think us students will keep WHSmith afloat for a while. Game on the other hand - they are not focusing on the PC segment of the gaming market (which is the largest, and still growing segment), which is a massive blow for them. They are too late to compete with Steam, and so console gaming is their only market, and now console games are available via digital download. The only hope game has is that the eighth generation of consoles comes out within the next year and they become more prominent online.
Original post by je t'aime
I know, bookshops are lovely- always nice to go in when out out shopping just for a quiet moment :smile:

Apparently blockbusters and dixons too! Neither of which surprise me tbh. Oh also, morrison's had a bad Xmas- now that did surprise me!

I work in Morrisons and we actually managed to exceed our target over Christmastime. I'm not surprised, it was absolutely packed 24/7! I don't think that the actual company is in too much trouble, just opened a brand new factory near where I work.
Reply 70
Original post by zakkaz

"(Originally Posted by Funtry)
I disagree with those three, I'd say somewhere such as GAME/Gamestation. Too much online, same as Blockbusters/HMV. WHSmith are always really busy, Waterstones are the only big bookshop left (bar Borders) and a lot of people I know who read a lot prefer to buy from such a shop. "

Argos are too unique and a lot of people use it
Hasn't Borders gone under?

:s-smilie:

I know the Borders in Cambridge and London closed years ago, I think they did die :frown: I liked Borders, they had loads of stuff. I don't think WHSmiths is likely to go as they have a range of related things and it is the first place you think of even if their stationary is a bit overpriced!
Original post by Makebelieve15
Blame the system, not the participant. As humans, we will always try and achieve the best outcome.

It would also be protectionist to stop Amazon trading in the UK and this would breach WTO regulations.

We are free to change our laws to drive them out without actually banning them.

Change the system so that if the total tax from a company is less than a threshold percentage of their turnover, tax their transactions instead.
Original post by HotfireLegend
£45 here, but they sold it to a billionaire(?) a year ago so it should be ok

*major sigh of relief*

Yeah well I don't want to spend them until I see books I REALLY want so I'd rather not be rushed to use them. /firstworldproblems :tongue:
I think Carpet Right will go under administration some time soon.

Also shops like Store Twenty One, and Peacocks is already going down...

As for WHSmith, I prefer to own a physical copy of a book rather than an ebook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Yeah well I don't want to spend them until I see books I REALLY want so I'd rather not be rushed to use them. /firstworldproblems :tongue:

Same, though I could always spend it on manga... lol.
I would definately keep my eye on the game stores.
Original post by Hustler-1337
I very much agree with most of what you said :biggrin:. Although it may sound unsavoury to most that major retailers such as HMV, Blockusters, Jessops, Woolworths and the like are closing down causing huge job losses, there is perhaps a greater benefit for the economy in the long run. The reorganisation and realignment of the markets will help create and expand markets which are in demand and naturally decline or put level those which are not so much needed - it's the most greatest thing about the free market. Let's face it guys, having HMV, Blockbusters etc stay open isn't doing them, or most the consumers any favour. They're building up their debt and only fooling themselves in keeping themselves open. It's a sad truth but inevitably there will come a point when they can no longer hold on. Thank the internet for causing most of this 'mess' we see today, it's totally revolutionised the way people shop and how products are priced.

There will still be a market for some products where having physical stores will be handy, but there will only be very few retailers which operate in a particular market. There will be fewer retailers and markets will be in the hands of a few large retailers and corporations. We have already seen how smaller independent shops have gone out of business over the years.

I predict the next major British retailers to go out of business are going to be:

Game/ Gamestation - perhaps Game will operate an online-only store in the future

Currys/PCWorld - may struggle, but being one of the only major retailers in that particular market helps them maintain survival.

Robert Dyas

Sports Direct - possibly

Argos - their prices aren't really competitive at all for most of their products

WHSmith - prices are quite shocking for a lot of their products

Carpet Right

Matalan

Furniture Village

Benson For Beds

Savers

Clarks?

I don't actually think this will result in a few huge megaretailers controlling the market like you say. Maybe in out-of-town shopping centres they will, but I really think/hope - IF RENTS COME DOWN - we will see a proliferation of more individual local shops on the actual high street. It will require co-operation between councils, retailers and everyone else though.

I thought Game had already gone a couple of years ago (though you do still see them) I think they at least culled a load of stores and moved online a bit more.

I think Currys and PC World will be all right, old people are still after big tellies, off-the-shelf laptops, tablets and as you say the only remaining player.

No idea who Robert Dyas even are.

Sports Direct - buoyed by the closure of JJB but I imagine it's only a matter of time

Argos - think they'll be OK, I think the prices are pretty good for what I've got from there, also I think they are making big profits. Argos catalogue is still an institution and people feel comfortable with it.

Smiths have been awful for years I think they deserve to go under.

Carpet shops are needed but that seems to me to be a bit more rough and ready industry, wouldn't call it retail but then I've never bought a carpet...

I think people will start saving cash by buying second-hand furniture (Freecycle) so furniture/bed shops are probably in trouble - also need a lot of square footage for that.

Savers is utter ****e, what is it even meant to be, some sort of pharmacy? It will die off soon I agree.

Clarks I don't think will die, people always need shoes and they need to bethere to try them on, and Clarks is the best established of all the shoe shops.

I've always liked this wry observation from the Hitchhiker's Guide:
Douglas Adams
Many years ago this was a thriving, happy planet - people, cities, shops, a normal world. Except that on the high streets of these cities there were slightly more shoe shops than one might have thought necessary. And slowly, insidiously, the number of the shoe shops were increasing. It's a well-known economic phenomenon but tragic to see it in operation, for the more shoe shops there were, the more shoes they had to make and the worse and more unwearable they became. And the worse they were to wear, the more people had to buy to keep themselves shod, and the more the shops proliferated, until the whole economy of the place passed what I believe is termed the Shoe Event Horizon, and it became no longer economically possible to build anything other than shoe shops. Result - collapse, ruin and famine. Most of the population died out. Those few who had the right kind of genetic instability mutated into birds who cursed their feet, cursed the ground and vowed that no one should walk on it again.
Hopefully McDonalds but I highly doubt considering they're basically untouched by the economic downturn. It's a shame to see shops that because they specialize in something are being closed down, I was especially sad at Jessops going.
Reply 78
Original post by HappyCheesecake
I think Carpet Right will go under administration some time soon.

Surprised Carpet Right haven't been gone years ago? Does anyone even shop in there?
Reply 79
Original post by Superunknown17
Hopefully McDonalds but I highly doubt considering they're basically untouched by the economic downturn. It's a shame to see shops that because they specialize in something are being closed down, I was especially sad at Jessops going.

McDonalds are like Poundland, they do better in recessions as people move to the false charms of "cheap" food.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending