The Student Room Group

What GCSE grades will i need to become either a pharmacist or a nurse?

I am currently in year 9 and we're soon going to choose our options, i am thinking of becoming a pharmacist or a nurse if you have some information please could you inform me. thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
You should take health and social and if you get a C or above you'll be set, it's more about what you take in collage. You should probably take triple science too. It's a lot of work but it's worth it.
Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
You will definately need chemistry. If you want to go to oxbridge, then 3 science/maths will be good. If you only want to do 2 sciences, then do biology and chemistry.

I don't think health and social is a good idea at all :s-smilie:

and as above - triple science would be great, but I think double is okay, and try an get C and above in everything escecially B and above in sciences maths and english.
Whatever you do, try to go for the subjects with most Science (so triple science would be of use, plus it will broaden your options for you) and you should probably aim for B's if not A's because if you want to do Chemistry and Biology at A level (which you will need to do if you want to study Pharm/Nursing) then most Colleges/Sixth Forms require you have a minimum of B grades in Science and Maths.
Reply 4
Triple or double science will not give you a significant advantage or disadvantage, if you can do triple then do it, if not then don't worry yourself.
Reply 5
A levels is what matters, not GCSES.
Reply 6
Thanks guys for the advise i think i now know more about what i should chose for what grades i will need to become either a pharmacist or a nurse :smile:
Original post by bieberfever25
Thanks guys for the advise i think i now know more about what i should chose for what grades i will need to become either a pharmacist or a nurse :smile:

My little sister is in Year 9 and she's going to be deciding her options soon too, I know that a lot of people say GCSE's mean little compared to A levels but because you're thinking things through one step at a time right now and not jumping from Yr 9 to Uni then you need to ensure you get a place on your desired A level courses, and they also have entry requirements. Sometimes if you know the teachers (especially for the sixth form attached to your school) they will let you on to, I dunno maybe Chem with a Grade C but that won't help you, you need to have a really good understanding of your GCSE subjects to be able to even cope with A levels so just make sure you don't take GCSE's too lightly! :biggrin:
Reply 8

Oh and in like 3 years time, pharmacy jobs will be extremely low, I head it on the radio :/
Reply 9
Original post by Confusing_Chem
My little sister is in Year 9 and she's going to be deciding her options soon too, I know that a lot of people say GCSE's mean little compared to A levels but because you're thinking things through one step at a time right now and not jumping from Yr 9 to Uni then you need to ensure you get a place on your desired A level courses, and they also have entry requirements. Sometimes if you know the teachers (especially for the sixth form attached to your school) they will let you on to, I dunno maybe Chem with a Grade C but that won't help you, you need to have a really good understanding of your GCSE subjects to be able to even cope with A levels so just make sure you don't take GCSE's too lightly! :biggrin:

Yeh i'll make sure i won't take GCSE's too lightly and thanks for the advise :smile:
Reply 10
I've just got on a nursing course and you need to have a c in English, maths and science at GCSE so they do have an effect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently in year 9 and we're soon going to choose our options, i am thinking of becoming a pharmacist or a nurse if you have some information please could you inform me. thanks :smile:

Heyyyy!! :biggrin:
btw I know that lots of universities allow applicants to apply if they only do additional science rather than triple, but the fact is tht it is better for you to do triple especially if u wanna do science A-levels as you have a deeper understanding of the topic.
I want to do medicine, in year 10 I chose economics and for yr 11 I am doing history (we only got 2 options cuz we have to do geography, french, triple science, RE and english literature)...
anyways good luck!!
:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I wouldn't worry about your choice of GCSE's just pick the ones you like and enjoy and are more likely to get a great grade in and make sure you get the best grades you can in English, Maths and Science. Cause then when you to go to pick your alevels you'll be in a great position... then you can pick science based Alevels, like chemistry and Biology, or maybe health and social care and so on :smile:
Good Luck!
Cs thats what quite a few unis want but youll really need Bs at least in maths/english to widen your choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
HELLO

Quick Reply

Latest