The Student Room Group

Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster - who's next?

Scroll to see replies

I think Waterstones will be alright for a few years at least. Don't think it will survive the generation though, with the increasing prevalence of e-books.
Reply 101
I doubt WHSmiths will be next, they still offer things that can't be provided by the internet and offer a range of things; magazines, stationary, books, technology...
Waterstones and The Works may be more likely as they only sell books.

Although I don't think technology will ever completely replace books, I don't think a business will be able to live from purely selling books in the near future. Hence why WHSmiths should be OK because it doesn't only sell books.

At the end of the day these businesses failing are a result of 2 things. Firstly, corporation tax being crippling (also accounting for tax dodging). High corporation tax may seem 'fair' to left wingers, but from a logical point of view it loses the government money.
Secondly it's down to the businesses themselves failing to keep up with the changing markets. HMV had the chance to beat Apple to the online music business and failed to do so. They then refused to get involved in it at all and paid the price for their lack of judgement.
Jessops too failed to do anything about the fact that everyone owns a camera phone and paid the price for it.
It's nothing new. When digital cameras came out various firms went bankrupt for failing to adapt - sticking to film technology (namely Kodak). This isn't just a result of the recession. Markets are constantly changing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ed-
I doubt WHSmiths will be next, they still offer things that can't be provided by the internet and offer a range of things; magazines, stationary, books, technology...
Waterstones and The Works may be more likely as they only sell books.

Although I don't think technology will ever completely replace books, I don't think a business will be able to live from purely selling books in the near future. Hence why WHSmiths should be OK because it doesn't only sell books.

At the end of the day these businesses failing are a result of 2 things. Firstly, corporation tax being crippling (also accounting for tax dodging). High corporation tax may seem 'fair' to left wingers, but from a logical point of view it loses the government money.
Secondly it's down to the businesses themselves failing to keep up with the changing markets. HMV had the chance to beat Apple to the online music business and failed to do so. They then refused to get involved in it at all and paid the price for their lack of judgement.
Jessops too failed to do anything about the fact that everyone owns a camera phone and paid the price for it.
It's nothing new. When digital cameras came out various firms went bankrupt for failing to adapt - sticking to film technology (namely Kodak). This isn't just a result of the recession. Markets are constantly changing.

Books will survive, but most books now are already sold online and that will just increase. I can't see how a high street book chain can possibly survive. It's really noticeable when you go into Waterstones in Bristol where I am how quiet it is compared to how it used to be, the cafe is the main draw. Sure, they sell some stuff, but not nearly enough to keep such a big company going, surely?

Probably new retailers will come in though - just look at the Apple stores for example. I think there will be more "service" shops in the future doing nice things for you. I was in LA last year and they have "blow dry stores" where you get a quick manicure and b/d for example and "style locations" where you get instant advice on your look and they suggest things and you can buy online there and then from their pads and terminals.
The government should be bailing out these British companies (take ownership/part ownership of them), instead of bailing out these American, multinational, tax avoiding banks!
Reply 104
Despite what is said in this thread, I think Argos.
Reply 105
Original post by pandapops
I vote WHSmiths, they've already rebranded their airport shops to 'London News Company' sign of things to come?

Really? :eek: :eek:
Reply 106
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I worry about Boots, because of the fact that the majority of things you can get from there can also be bought from supermarkets or cheaper retailers like bodycare or, to some extent, superdrug.

:yep:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by Funtry
I disagree with those three, I'd say somewhere such as GAME/Gamestation. Too much online, same as Blockbusters/HMV. WHSmith are always really busy, Waterstones are the only big bookshop left (bar Borders) and a lot of people I know who read a lot prefer to buy from such a shop.

Argos are too unique and a lot of people use it :smile:

True about Waterstones though I wish Argos has some more direct comp from Index - any1 remember them? :colondollar:
Reply 108
Think I'd be devastated if Boots closed, everything you need under one roof!

But way overpriced, prefer Superdrugs or Bodycare :colone:
Reply 109
Original post by meenu89
Despite what is said in this thread, I think Argos.

Too popular with the 'lower classes'!

Original post by EnglishmanInLA
The government should be bailing out these British companies (take ownership/part ownership of them), instead of bailing out these American, multinational, tax avoiding banks!

The government shouldn't be bailing out any companies (Hayek beats Keynes).
Although if it's going to bail out anything of course banks are going to take priority over a company that's clearly failing to keep up and adapt to the changing markets.
Reply 110
Original post by Jack93o
pcworld/currys, GAME

soon the high streets would just be clothes retailers, 99p stores and coffee chains

I know what you mean as I thought about this too as Dixons online's closed, but they still have pixmania(sp)?

But they've really kicked advertising up a notch, esp in the last 6 months or so, + they've merged more stores (i.e. Currys/PC World) than seperate stores + closed some stores.

I think PC World should go as Currys sell the same things + others too :biggrin:
Reply 111
What about travel companies? Thomas Cook were in deep water not so long ago

Have they sorted themselves out know? :confused:
Reply 112
Original post by Skip_Snip
Waterstone's is probably okay, as someone else said, many readers like to have books in the flesh. But they have the same owners as HMV, bear that in mind

Not anymore they sold them + I think there concert halls/whatever they're called.

Waterstones is well overprice but love that they're like a high street library for browsing
Reply 113
Original post by je t'aime
I know, bookshops are lovely- always nice to go in when out out shopping just for a quiet moment :smile:

Apparently blockbusters and dixons too! Neither of which surprise me tbh. Oh also, morrison's had a bad Xmas- now that did surprise me!

Why o why don't morrisons come online now, they're really missing out from customers.
Reply 114
I'd have to agree with OP, our business class called HMV and Blockbuster 3 years ago, Argos or WHSmiths are next on our bust list. GAME have just battled through one crisis with EA, it's too soon for them to have another.

To those people saying that Argos is still popular, I worked for them over Christmas 2011. It was so quiet, the whole company was shrinking it's product portfolio and even over Christmas it was basically skeleton staff.
(edited 11 years ago)
I vote WHSmiths, they've already rebranded their airport shops to 'London News Company' sign of things to come?
Perhaps Waterstones might struggle too.

I also have thoughts over the future of Argos since they said they were stopping producing the catalogues and going to focus more on online purchases.

Who do you think is at risk on the high street?

WhSmith make their money from commuters with more money than sense in train stations. The ones in Manchester and Leeds seem busy enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by Architecture-er
I'd imagine it's somewhere that is being encroached on by online retailers, that's been the common theme throughout these stories.

Maplin is probably safe, since they've adapted somewhat by allowing customers to buy online and then collect in-store, but I think in general the electronic hardware guys are going to have a rough time.

+ they're on Tesco Direct as a third party seller, basically Tesco going Amazon/Ebay kind of thing

I really hate Play.com going marketplace only + closing their Jersey base.
Original post by derek1
Sports direct wont go under, ****e shops but they have a lot under their belt to prop them up especially with jjb gubbed

They do some good deals, but they really need to sop overstocking shops. Can't breathe in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by technoo
I know what you mean as I thought about this too as Dixons online's closed, but they still have pixmania(sp)?

But they've really kicked advertising up a notch, esp in the last 6 months or so, + they've merged more stores (i.e. Currys/PC World) than seperate stores + closed some stores.

I think PC World should go as Currys sell the same things + others too :biggrin:

I thought pc world and currys merged as one brand
Reply 119
With the exception of Jessops who I do not know much about , HMV and Blockbuster were never great firms. They overcharge and it is obvious you can get the same goods for much cheaper elsewhere. They're nice stores to browse through but never really good to buy anything from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending