The Student Room Group

Sum up modern Britain in one image!

Scroll to see replies

sheffield_1769914c.jpg
My Image represents a young internet savvy generation who by circumstance have become politicised where previously they have been a relatively neglected part of the electorate, they must now be listened to.
Reply 61
Original post by Harry Callahan
So we're a better country to live in than Germany, Canada, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, Holland, France, etc., are we?

In my opinion, yes.

Where do you live now?
Where do you think is the best country in the world to live?
Though really I guess things could only be explained through song:

pound-sign-eyes-230x142.jpg
Reply 64
Original post by The Socktor
Yeah, like this guy:

Precisely, we're even tolerant of ***** like that!
Original post by py0alb
In my opinion, yes.

Where do you live now?
Where do you think is the best country in the world to live?

I live in Lancashire. And one of the countries I mentioned, most probably.
Individual preference makes the best country in the world. For example, Netherlands scores high on living standards, economic climate, life expectancy, yet some may wish to go to America because it speaks to them for other reasons.

Personally, I don't think England is the best.

The top ten best places to be born in 2013:
1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong*

“material wellbeing” as measured by GDP per head (in $, at 2006 constant PPPS)
life expectancy from birth
quality of family life, based primarily on divorce rates
state of political freedoms
job security (measured by the unemployment rate)
climate (measured by two variables: the average deviation of minimum and maximum monthly temperatures from 14 degrees Celsius and the number of months in the year with less than 30mm rainfall)
Personal physical security ratings (based primarily on recorded homicide rates and ratings for risk from crime and terrorism)
quality of community life (based on membership in social organizations)
governance (measured by ratings for corruption)
gender equality (measured by the share of seats in parliament held by women)

Human Development Index (HDI):
1. Norway 0.943
2. Australia 0.929
3. Netherlands 0.910
4. United States 0.910
5. New Zealand 0.908
6. Canada 0.908
7. Ireland 0.908
8. Liechtenstein 0.905
9. Germany 0.905
10. Sweden 0.904
Original post by py0alb
I was about to ask how many of those countries you have lived in to be able to make an informed opinion, but I can guess the answer. :rolleyes:

And how many other countries have you lived in?
Reply 68
Original post by The Assassin
Individual preference makes the best country in the world. For example, Netherlands scores high on living standards, economic climate, life expectancy, yet some may wish to go to America because it speaks to them for other reasons.

1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong*

1. Norway 0.943
2. Australia 0.929
3. Netherlands 0.910
4. United States 0.910
5. New Zealand 0.908
6. Canada 0.908
7. Ireland 0.908
8. Liechtenstein 0.905
9. Germany 0.905
10. Sweden 0.904

HDI is only relevant in separating highly developed countries from less developed ones. Its not nearly nuanced enough to be able to tell a difference between say, the UK and the US.

Treat those numbers with an error margin of +/-0.1.

The "best places to be born survey" was just an opinion piece written by some temp in the Economist office. They didn't even bother publishing their rationale, nevermind a methodology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Economist Bryan Caplan: "Scandinavia comes out on top according to the HDI because the HDI is basically a measure of how Scandinavian your country is."
Reply 70
And how many other countries have you lived in?

One more than you.
Original post by py0alb
One more than you.

So what entitles you to make a judgement?
Reply 73
So what entitles you to make a judgement?

What entitles me to hold my own opinion? Is that even a serious question?

Regardless I've lived in every region of the UK, in villages, towns, small cities, big cities and in the countryside; I've lived abroad and know what its like to live in another country. I've also visited all the countries you mentioned apart from Japan. Meanwhile, you're 16 years old and have probably never been away from your parents for more than a few days.

1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong*

1. Norway 0.943
2. Australia 0.929
3. Netherlands 0.910
4. United States 0.910
5. New Zealand 0.908
6. Canada 0.908
7. Ireland 0.908
8. Liechtenstein 0.905
9. Germany 0.905
10. Sweden 0.904

Take the HDI with an extremely large pinch of salt, like any ranking, like the university rankings. For example, a quick glance will show you that Germany jumped from 22 in 2009 to... 5 in 2010. I mean, come on. And in 2010, Ireland was listed as 5, while Japan was listed as 11. Gimme a break.

To the OP - you can't sum up an entire country with one image, not even the country's flag. This country has beautiful countryside, run down city centres, beautiful city centres, lots of beautiful historic buildings, lots of terrible buildings, lots of intelligent people, lots of idiots. Lots of rich people, lots of poor people, and many many middle class people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
What entitles me to hold my own opinion? Is that even a serious question?

Regardless I've lived in every region of the UK, in villages, towns, small cities, big cities and in the countryside; I've lived abroad and know what its like to live in another country. I've also visited all the countries you mentioned apart from Japan. Meanwhile, you're 16 years old and have probably never been away from your parents for more than a few days.

You claimed before that you need to live in a country to make an informed opinion, yet you've lived in two.

I've visited loads of places and have done well travel-wise, particularly considering my parents aren't at all well-off.

Did you get your nigh-on 17,000 posts in five years while you weren't travelling? :rolleyes:

1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong*

1. Norway 0.943
2. Australia 0.929
3. Netherlands 0.910
4. United States 0.910
5. New Zealand 0.908
6. Canada 0.908
7. Ireland 0.908
8. Liechtenstein 0.905
9. Germany 0.905
10. Sweden 0.904

Think you're taking this a bit too seriously :h:

serious_turtle.jpg
Original post by py0alb
The biggest problem with society is all the people convinced there is a problem with society.

It ain't perfect, our present government is **** for example, but its still the best country in the world to live in.

Its the playground of the rich, a great place to be middle class, and there are many, many worse places to be poor.

Germany, Norway, Denmark? The UK wouldn't even make most peoples' top 10.

EDIT: I've now looked at the rest of the thread. No need to restart here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Think you're taking this a bit too seriously :h:

serious_turtle.jpg

Huh o_O? Not quite sure what you mean... and I don't suspect you do either :lol:

Was it just an excuse to post that awesome looking turtle?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
x.

Pot and kettle spring to mind.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending