The Student Room Group

what is the point of the DM?

Scroll to see replies

The point of the daily mail is that it is a cross between a tabloid and a broadsheet. It attracts people who want something a bit more high brow than the Sun or the Express which don't even pretend to be decent newpapers, but not full braodsheet. It uses traditional populist ideas like scaremongering and the EU to have a narriative designed to make people angry while imparting a significant amount of non-partisan infomation as well.

Granted, they aren't brilliant, but the fact is that it isnt like people who were otherwise going to read the guardian or the economist are deciding to read the mail instead. If they weren't reading the Mail it would be the Mirror, Sun or the Express and, like it or not, the Mail is actually a 'better' news source than them.

I also think there is an element of snobbery and class prejudice here. People who read the Mail tend to be either lower or upper middle class and conservative, so the mail tailors to their views, so gets a lot of abuse on that political basis from people who either think they are smarter or more classy by reading other newpapers. They then get the warm, fuzzy feeling that they're better than Mail readers so get all of the mental benefits of racism and prejudice without the social stigma.
Reply 21
I go on there to read the entertainment "news" if you can even call it that and ridiculously silly stories.

Why are people all about banning things they think are stupid or don't agree with? *sigh* I, for one, like having stupid things around because it caters to a certain market and it means I can differentiate between utter rubbish and someone that can inform me.
The Daily Mail just sucks. Yeah The Guardian sucks at times, but the Daily Mail just sucks full stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Straight from the horse's mouth: 'Make them laugh, make them cry or make them angry'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/des-kelly-my-life-in-media-519169.html
Reply 24
Original post by The Gentle Giant
The point of the daily mail is that it is a cross between a tabloid and a broadsheet. It attracts people who want something a bit more high brow than the Sun or the Express which don't even pretend to be decent newpapers, but not full braodsheet. It uses traditional populist ideas like scaremongering and the EU to have a narriative designed to make people angry while imparting a significant amount of non-partisan infomation as well.

Granted, they aren't brilliant, but the fact is that it isnt like people who were otherwise going to read the guardian or the economist are deciding to read the mail instead. If they weren't reading the Mail it would be the Mirror, Sun or the Express and, like it or not, the Mail is actually a 'better' news source than them.

I also think there is an element of snobbery and class prejudice here. People who read the Mail tend to be either lower or upper middle class and conservative, so the mail tailors to their views, so gets a lot of abuse on that political basis from people who either think they are smarter or more classy by reading other newpapers. They then get the warm, fuzzy feeling that they're better than Mail readers so get all of the mental benefits of racism and prejudice without the social stigma.

I agree, but is the Express really any worse than the Mail? They're pretty similar papers, Mail is just far more popular as it's more established.
Reply 25
Original post by Barksy
A lot of smugness right here. I guess you're the same left wing vermin that claim the Guardian is an insightful read? Daily Mail bashing is old, get over it.

Original post by Barksy
same left wing vermin

Original post by Barksy
vermin

Original post by Barksy
vermin

Welp.
Original post by Advanced
I agree, but is the Express really any worse than the Mail? They're pretty similar papers, Mail is just far more popular as it's more established.

Considering the Express has single handedly been running the Diana conspiracy and spent a record 100 straight issues on Madeline Mccann, with 88 of them with her on the front page, as well as the quite wonderful islamic man trying to kill the pope saga, I would say that the Mail is pretending to be a broadsheet and so has to remain within the realms of logical discourse even if its in the crazy end of it. The Express doesn't even care.

Plus, for some reason they spend a massive amount of time and effort promoting channel five shows. I'm certain that it is in no way, shape or form caused by the fact they share an owner...
I go on their site mainly to look at the comments like other people.
Original post by almost_instinct
Agreed with you up until this point. Racism, xenophobia and poor-punctuation are not exclusively working-class traits. Also, it's widely known that the paper is targeted towards the middle-class.

The lower middle class. Lower middle class middle aged women to be precise.
Reply 29
Original post by The Gentle Giant
Considering the Express has single handedly been running the Diana conspiracy and spent a record 100 straight issues on Madeline Mccann, with 88 of them with her on the front page, as well as the quite wonderful islamic man trying to kill the pope saga, I would say that the Mail is pretending to be a broadsheet and so has to remain within the realms of logical discourse even if its in the crazy end of it. The Express doesn't even care.

Plus, for some reason they spend a massive amount of time and effort promoting channel five shows. I'm certain that it is in no way, shape or form caused by the fact they share an owner...

Fair enough. It was probably closer to the Mail before it was purchased by Desmond, now it seems to be moving closer to the red-tops.
Reply 30
because some of its stories and most of its readers comments are hilarious to read! Its like a slightly more serious version of viz!
What is the point of any newspaper?

Answer that question and you will also answer yours.
Reply 32
The point of the DM is to

a) make money
b) promote the political affiliations of the editor and board of directors

The means by which they achieve this is through a cunning mixture barefaced lies, barely-concealed falsehoods, manipulated statistics and gross exaggerations.
Reply 33
oh no, not another 'look how cool i am i hate the DM' thread.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending