The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston and maintenance loan?

This is probably a really stupid question, but I've applied for Kingston as one of my University choices, but I'm a little bit confused where it actually is.
Obviously I know geographically where it is, but when googling it, there seems to be a lot of confusion on whether it is classed as London or Surrey... or both.

I was wondering which maintenance loan Kingston fits into? As I know there are different maximum amounts depending on whether you are going live in London or not.

Edit: though I guess the Kingston website says "Kingston University - London"... haha.. I just want to double check because the accommodation fees for Kingston aren't as much as usual London Unis.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
:holmes:

I've sent a message to one of the heads of the student union asking.
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by Seaton
:holmes:

I've sent a message to one of the heads of the student union asking.

Thanks, please let me know if you find out :smile:
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about it though, I felt quite silly asking.
lool
its in south west london mate, it is also known as kingston-upon-thames but no one calls it that lool, probably around 20 mins from raynes park
Reply 4
Original post by LeonTheMystery
lool
its in south west london mate, it is also known as kingston-upon-thames but no one calls it that lool, probably around 20 mins from raynes park

The Student Finance website is very vague, it simply asks whether you are in London or outside of London, it should specify Greater London/county specific and what not.
have you looked at the kingston accomodation website? they show you the price bands and having looked at other unis located in central london i think kingston seems quite reasonable especially seeing as a lot of them are ensuite.

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/accommodation/halls-of-residence/room-types-and-costs/

obviously depends on where you study and what you study but yeah.

(in case you were wondering about actual prices and if it varied)
yh, well anywho the university of kingston is classed as london
Reply 7
Original post by LeonTheMystery
yh, well anywho the university of kingston is classed as london

I guess if the website says it's London then it must be otherwise the whole process would be a bit messed up. I was just wondering because I know it's not central London, it's on the outskirts and the boundaries are often changed backwards and forwards from Surrey to London, the accommodation is also the same as that of a university outside of London, which seems odd as I'd have like half of my maintenance loan/grant left.
Reply 8
Original post by sweetiepie
have you looked at the kingston accomodation website? they show you the price bands and having looked at other unis located in central london i think kingston seems quite reasonable especially seeing as a lot of them are ensuite.

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/accommodation/halls-of-residence/room-types-and-costs/

obviously depends on where you study and what you study but yeah.

(in case you were wondering about actual prices and if it varied)

The fact it's so cheap is one of the reasons why I was confused, it's prices are the same as any university outside of London, and I know Kingston is classed as greater london/surrey, so I thought it may have not counted due to it not being central.
the uni is in london, but just to make sure maybe you should contact them and ask.
Original post by Kaytiekins
The fact it's so cheap is one of the reasons why I was confused, it's prices are the same as any university outside of London, and I know Kingston is classed as greater london/surrey, so I thought it may have not counted due to it not being central.

i completely misread your post for some reason :s

yeah kingston is in london i applied there, the relatively small accomodation costs are just a perk :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks, please let me know if you find out :smile:
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about it though, I felt quite silly asking.

She also said most likely London, but if you are still not entirely comfortable just give Cooper House (the uni finance department) a call and they will be able to answer you.
Reply 12
Original post by Seaton
She also said most likely London, but if you are still not entirely comfortable just give Cooper House (the uni finance department) a call and they will be able to answer you.

Okay, thank you :biggrin:
I go to Kingston Uni and it is classed as London for maintenance loan.
Reply 14
Original post by MissDavies
I go to Kingston Uni and it is classed as London for maintenance loan.

I was hoping a current student would respond, thank you for clarifying :biggrin:
Kingston is London as it is a Royal Borough in Greater London.
Reply 16
This is probably a really stupid question, but I've applied for Kingston as one of my University choices, but I'm a little bit confused where it actually is.
Obviously I know geographically where it is, but when googling it, there seems to be a lot of confusion on whether it is classed as London or Surrey... or both.

I was wondering which maintenance loan Kingston fits into? As I know there are different maximum amounts depending on whether you are going live in London or not.

Edit: though I guess the Kingston website says "Kingston University - London"... haha.. I just want to double check because the accommodation fees for Kingston aren't as much as usual London Unis.

you get more maintenance loan if you're living away from parental home and studying in london
Reply 17
can you get student grants at kingston if your dad gets paid more than 70k a year and is supporting another child in an university abroad?

Hi!
Sorry for the late reply. Kingston is in the county of Surrey and is part of Greater London. It is in zone 6 of London so you will receive the London maintenance loan.

Emily :smile:Student ambassador
Original post by sws1
can you get student grants at kingston if your dad gets paid more than 70k a year and is supporting another child in an university abroad?

Hi!
The grants are dependent on lots of things. Here's a link which will give you all the information you need http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/bursaries/

Emily
Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending