The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jamaica categorically opposes the merger if no self-determination is employed through a referendum.
Original post by Rhysanator
Jamaica categorically opposes the merger if no self-determination is employed through a referendum.

The Russian Federation is dismayed at your response especially as it is by the will of the people, it is clear you have not paid attention to the discussion thus we are not going to say anymore... relations on the other hand may be ever so slighted affected... :tongue:
Reply 122
South Africa believes that the decision to merger Belarus into the Russian Federation is entirely that of the Belarusian and Russian people and their respective governments. This should not be a matter decided by other countries through a general assembly vote, as quite frankly it has nothing to do with them. As a result we refuse to vote on this issue or even abstain.
Nigeria would like to know whether there was a referendum on this issue?
Original post by jakemittle
Nigeria would like to know whether there was a referendum on this issue?

According to the Belarusian representative, the people were asked.
Original post by Qwertish
According to the Belarusian representative, the people were asked.

Has he proved prove? Because there are still segments of Belarusian society that would like to protect its belarusian heritage and I am not so sure if they would be extremely happy at the thought of their nation becoming part of Russia again.
Original post by jakemittle
Has he proved prove? Because there are still segments of Belarusian society that would like to protect its belarusian heritage and I am not so sure if they would be extremely happy at the thought of their nation becoming part of Russia again.

No, Belarus haven't proved it. Russia says that the Belarusian heritage will be preserved. It's not really Australia's place to comment on this.

OOC: Nope, and the people probably haven't been consulted, knowing the way both of these nations work IRL.
Norway is supportive of this measure under the provision of both parties' willingness to proceed. Norway appreciates Belarussian dependence upon Russia economically and therefore agrees that the merger is of benefit to Belarus. Although Norway is somewhat sceptical as to the benefit Russia will receive, Norway sees no logical reason why the merger should be opposed by the international community.
Turkey gives its assurances that the Russian and Belarussian peoples should be free to determine their destinies.
However this decision, as the delegate has made clear, is a purely unilateral decision between Russian and Belarus. We believe the future of the region lies in pan-European cooperation, and this move will only antagonise the European Union.
We were the first to recognise Belarus as it threw off the Soviet iron-fist, and will be the first to recognise this union, should it come to pass. We abstain.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tehFrance
we will change our intent and invade Poland if you wish :colonhash:

Turkey does not appreciate the Sovietesque threats of imperialism shown by the Russian Federation towards its near neighbors.
Turkey is disturbed by the Russian delegations seeming eagerness for conflict during this motion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
China broadly supports the idea of integration, and should the political and national will exist in both countries sees no reason why this should not go ahead.

Ukraine welcomes the overtures of friendship involved in this union but is also concerned that this may lead to a second Soviet coalition with the similar excesses of the first.
Original post by SunderX
Ukraine welcomes the overtures of friendship involved in this union but is also concerned that this may lead to a second Soviet coalition with the similar excesses of the first.

The Russian Federation can assure Ukraine that there will be no new Soviet empire unless the people of certain countries vote to be within the Russian Federation and even then we may deny them.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
The Republic of Turkey has seen no evidence of any democratic vote in this matter, and therefore cannot support this resolution, nor will we recognise the new union between The Republic of Belarus and The Russian Federation for the immediate future.

OOC: excuse me, what, I'm Turkey
The Republic of Finland recognises that links between Belarus and the Russian Federation are stronger than that of Belarus and the European Union, so finds no problem with this merger taking place so long as this is what both parties in the union desire.

--

The Hellenic Republic (Greece) concurs with the view of the Finnish representative.
The United Mexican States concurs with the opinions of the Finnish and Greek representatives above.
Original post by Lacking Gravitas
OOC: excuse me, what, I'm Turkey

OOC: Weird, I got a PM from Birchington a few hours ago confirming I was the rep for Turkey. Seems to be a bit of a mix up here...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
OOC: Weird, I got a PM from Birchington a few hours ago confirming I was the rep for Turkey. Seems to be a bit of a mix up here...

OOC: Lollzz
This resolution has passed.

Latest

Trending

Trending