The Student Room Group

A-Levels for Medicine ??????

:confused: I am considering choosing Chemistry , Biology , Home Economics and psychology for my A-Levels. Do you think these are suitable A-Levels for the course ( I know they are ) but are they good ones ? Which ones would you change which may give me better a better chance of getting into university (Particularly Queens, Belfast or Trinity College Dublin ) and better prospects of finding a job as a Doctor in later life ? Thank-you very much for reading this and I really appreciate any comments as I have to have my A-Levels finalised by next Tuesday . Thank you again :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by emmalav
:confused: I am considering choosing Chemistry , Biology , Home Economics and psychology for my A-Levels. Do you think these are suitable A-Levels for the course ( I know they are ) but are they good ones ? Which ones would you change which may give me better a better chance of getting into university (Particularly Queens, Belfast or Trinity College Dublin ) and better prospects of finding a job as a Doctor in later life ? Thank-you very much for reading this and I really appreciate any comments as I have to have my A-Levels finalised by next Tuesday . Thank you again :smile:

I'd change Home Economics - are there any others you would consider as an alternative?
Reply 2
Original post by emmalav

Those A levels are, as you said fine. AFAIK there aren't any A levels that would give you an advantage over other candidates (I think maths might give you an advantage at one or two unis). If you're unsure but check their websites for entry requirements and see what's required.

Whatever you choose to take, just make sure you can get 3 A's at A2, and then focus on getting experience and a good score on the UKCAT/BMAT. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by erniiee
I'd change Home Economics - are there any others you would consider as an alternative?

Thanks I was also considering Religion , that might tie in with religious ethics.
Reply 4
Original post by Ingenting
Those A levels are, as you said fine. AFAIK there aren't any A levels that would give you an advantage over other candidates (I think maths might give you an advantage at one or two unis). If you're unsure but check their websites for entry requirements and see what's required.

Whatever you choose to take, just make sure you can get 3 A's at A2, and then focus on getting experience and a good score on the UKCAT/BMAT. Hope this helps :smile:

Ok thank you , some people are taking on maybe all three sciences and maths as well , and as you said maths is an adv of a few points (25 i think) but would it not make a difference , as long as you meet the universities requirements ! thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by emmalav
Ok thank you , some people are taking on maybe all three sciences and maths as well , and as you said maths is an adv of a few points (25 i think) but would it not make a difference , as long as you meet the universities requirements ! thanks :smile:

A lot of people choose to take three sciences, but all you really need is Chemistry and for most places Biology. I took maths because I was good at it and enjoyed it, not because I needed to- I also took politics AS for the same reasons, and haven't yet found a uni that wouldn't accept that combination of subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by emmalav
Thanks I was also considering Religion , that might tie in with religious ethics.

Yea, to be honest it really depends on where you want to apply, but in general having Biology and Chemistry keeps most of your options open. I'd then choose 2 subjects you're very good at and enjoy. E.g. I took Fine Art as my fourth. Maths was my third as it can give a slight advantage (I hear).

Do your research, and good luck!
Reply 7
If you want a blunt and honest opinion, you're A-levels are far from appropriate.

Medicine is an extremely competitive field to get into and although "MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS" state your opinions are "TECHNICALLY FINE", there are a sheer amount of people that exceed these. Usually 3 sciences is competitive (as in Chemistry, Biology, Physics OR Maths). The fourth subject should really be a respected subject (Philosophy, History, RS, MFL, Latin, Further Maths, English LIT etc) OR take a fourth science.

4 sciences = Strong candidate, strong at sciences, will be appropriate and suitable for most unis, apart from UCL and Peninsula who 'prefer', not demand, a contrasting subject.
3 Sciences + respected contrasting subject = Just as strong, shows versality, will put you no great advantage or disadvantage from 4 science candidates.

Home Economics - A complete and utter doss subject, no real skill, no real respect AND a medicine candidate should never be studying it as it gives the impression you're very non-academic and not suitable for such as demanding and complex career.

Psychology - this is somewhat acceptable for your fourth subject, but, unless you have a raging 'passion' for it, don't take it and go for more academic contrasting subjects.
Reply 8
I've taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology and hopefully getting straight A grades for AS
but I don't know whether to drop maths or psychology?!
Reply 9
Original post by 99dm04
I've taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology and hopefully getting straight A grades for AS

definately psycology
Original post by 99dm04

i took the same subjects and got 4 As at AS level and just carried all 4 on because i couldn't choose which of maths and psychology to drop, so far its worked out fine, just something to think about :smile:
Reply 11
I was chatting to my doctor when I was choosing my A Levels and he said "no good medical school will accept you unless you do at least three sciences at AS", this does NOT include psychology despite many of the students at my school claiming this is so. According to all unis, however, they all require you take chemistry and one other science (inc maths). It's good to have a 'diversifying subject' though, but rather than home ec for a medicine degree, you'd be better choosing a more traditional subject.
Reply 12
Short answer: no they're not suitable.

Change home ec for maths, as others have said home ec won't look good on your application and maths is a requirement for some unis I think, anyway it will help you a lot with biology and chemistry.
Switch psychology unless you really like it because it isn't quite as reputable as other subjects but is very hard from what I've heard from friends.
As for applying for Trinity Dublin... If you're a UK resident it is incredibly hard to get in, they have a very awkward points system that isn't easy to work with if you are doing uk a levels. Have a look online at the Ireland app system- it equates to needing like 6 a levels to get enough points.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Avor
If you want a blunt and honest opinion, you're A-levels are far from appropriate.

Medicine is an extremely competitive field to get into and although "MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS" state your opinions are "TECHNICALLY FINE", there are a sheer amount of people that exceed these. Usually 3 sciences is competitive (as in Chemistry, Biology, Physics OR Maths). The fourth subject should really be a respected subject (Philosophy, History, RS, MFL, Latin, Further Maths, English LIT etc) OR take a fourth science.

4 sciences = Strong candidate, strong at sciences, will be appropriate and suitable for most unis, apart from UCL and Peninsula who 'prefer', not demand, a contrasting subject.
3 Sciences + respected contrasting subject = Just as strong, shows versality, will put you no great advantage or disadvantage from 4 science candidates.

Home Economics - A complete and utter doss subject, no real skill, no real respect AND a medicine candidate should never be studying it as it gives the impression you're very non-academic and not suitable for such as demanding and complex career.

Psychology - this is somewhat acceptable for your fourth subject, but, unless you have a raging 'passion' for it, don't take it and go for more academic contrasting subjects.

Well no, if they meet the minimum A level requirements that the uni states then it doesn't matter whether they exceed them or not unless if they have specifically stated that their selection procedures take into account A level grades beyond the minimum. Also, having 2 sciences (as long as they're bio and chem) along with 2 other subjects is generally fine as well, you don't need 3 sciences for the vast majority of unis.

@OP I'd definitely choose Biology and Chemistry but I'd avoid home economics, some unis don't accept subjects which they deem to be "soft" so I'd go for a more typical A level
Please take everything previous posts have said with a grain of salt. Medical schools do not care what subjects you take beyond Chemistry and usually Biology, in fact UCL favours people with a contrasting subject. That being said from a practical perspective taking maths or physics can be helpful if you royally mess up in Biology or Chemistry for some uni's which accept maths or physics instead of one of those. From the perspective of being interviewed, Home Ec is a better choice as if they ask you about why you choose it you're going to have a compelling reason which won't make you sound more interested in another science discipline. Psychology is absolutely fine, it'll give you some things to talk about in your PS and at interview too.

Also just to add that for Irish uni's the A level requirements are very high and iirc you will need to take 4 A levels and get A's or above in all of them, you'll also need to ace the HPAT. This is because they admit people purely on academics whereas the UK system focuses on the suitability of the person to get through medical school and be a doctor.
Reply 15
Psychology is often seen as a secondary science. I really would recommend maths at as at least because its really easy to get an a if you practise it well.

If you are applying to Ireland you definitely need at least 1 language gcse I believe and they prefer 4 a levels, but check this.
This is a list of acceptable subject combinations http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604. Psychology is listed as a subject for limited suitability for arts and Home economics is only suitable as a fourth choice. whilst these subjects will allow you a chance, you will be immensely disadvantaged. For medicine it is best to take 4 subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, and Physics.
Most of the people I know have done 3 sciences and Maths in A levels. If you are super keen, you may try Further maths. If you are not keen on doing three sciences then you could probably change one of them with psychology but I believe chemistry is one of the most important subject that is required. Also, the subjects are important but make sure you have plenty work experience as well. Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Internet Troll
This is a list of acceptable subject combinations http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604. Psychology is listed as a subject for limited suitability for arts and Home economics is only suitable as a fourth choice. whilst these subjects will allow you a chance, you will be immensely disadvantaged. For medicine it is best to take 4 subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, and Physics.

Original post by Happiness11
Most of the people I know have done 3 sciences and Maths in A levels. If you are super keen, you may try Further maths. If you are not keen on doing three sciences then you could probably change one of them with psychology but I believe chemistry is one of the most important subject that is required. Also, the subjects are important but make sure you have plenty work experience as well. Hope this helps. :smile:

Many Unis count Further Maths and Maths as one A level, so unless if you're really keen on maths and are willing to take 5 AS levels it's not recommended to take Further Maths.
Hey, I would also love to do medicine.
I am definitely taking Chem, Bio, History and will chose either Eng Lit, Spanish or Economics. I am probably best at Eng Lit, but would like to know what you think will be the better option to get into the best medical schools in the country! Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest