The Student Room Group

Is there really a "special relationship" between the UK and USA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the mezzil
Pretty much summed it up there for why we need to find ourselves some knew allies, the USA evidently doesn't care about the UK, so why should we? The Americans have VOTED for an anti-British president, which pretty much shows the attitude of the Americans towards the British. We really do need to find ourselves some new friends, the Americans are arrogant, ignorant and pretty much uncaring for the world. Not the type of country any "civilised" country wants to be friends with!

Just because Americans voted for an anti British president does not mean they are anti British

There are a lot of reasons people give for voting for Obama but never has his feelings on colonialism ever been a factor when I talk to Obama voters. Anyway isn't Obama britains choice? All the polls said Britons wanted him reelected, even though his views on colonialism are widely known.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Made in the USA
Just because Americans voted for an anti British president does not mean they are anti British

There are a lot of reasons people give for voting for Obama but never has his feelings on colonialism ever been a factor when I talk to Obama voters. Anyway isn't Obama britains choice? All the polls said Britons wanted him reelected, even though his views on colonialism are widely known.

Brits only like him because he is better than that baffoon Mitt Romney. The only reason.
Original post by the mezzil
Brits only like him because he is better than that baffoon Mitt Romney. The only reason.

Better in what sense? I guarantee Romney would have valued the UK/US relationship far more. Republicans are generally more pro British than democrats fwiw
Reply 43
Politically I couldn't possibly say. I suppose there is a sort of mutual understanding of our aims and philosophies, eg any UK government would respect that the USA is generally more right wing than us. However I think that we over-estimate how important the USA thinks the UK is.

Culturally I think both the UK and the US have very stereotypical preconceptions about each other. We think they're all crazy and extreme, gun wielding and obese, religious and hate gays, get botox in their lunch break and do weird things at frat parties.

They think we're quaint, pretty, green, dance round maypoles, have dodgy teeth, wear monocles and bowler hats, talk either like a cockney or the queen, love shakespeare and afternoon tea... I could go on!!

So I think there is definite potential for more cultural exchange between average, normal americans and average normal brits.
Reply 44
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
The Australian and Canadian Armed Forces are pretty damn good, whilst they're not as strong in numbers as the US they are still very competent.

If you combined the entire Canadian Armed Forces and the entire Australian Armed Forces I'm prepared to wager that both their manpower, number of aircraft and total expenditure would still be less than the US Marine Core alone...Whilst I agree that their armed forces are reasonably competent comparing them to America is akin to suggesting that a typical house cat could take a Lion in a fight...
Original post by Democracy
The "special relationship" is more to do with achieving shared goals in global economics and foreign policy rather than ethnic or cultural ties.

You mean, us doing what they want and pathetically caring what they think?

I wish people would just drop the illusion of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending