The Student Room Group

What should I take for Freshers??

Seriously, is there some kind of random thing that I'll need? Like a birth certificate or something for signing up somewhere... Also, seen a lot of people going on fancy dress nights and stuff but not sure if those happen everywhere... so just generally what should I take?

Scroll to see replies

Are you starting in February or are you just early in informing? :P

I wouldn't know, I'll start in the fall at uni!
Reply 2
Original post by blubimnotafish
Are you starting in February or are you just early in informing? :P

I wouldn't know, I'll start in the fall at uni!

Haha no, I don't start until September... I just like to worry about things in advance :tongue: where you off to?
Reply 3
I'll say you definitely need fancy dress, the though you can't really prepare for at this stage :tongue: my uni had a freshers booklet online with all the fancy dress nights so we could buy stuff. But don't worry about it, half the fun is just improvising with what you've got :smile:

Doubt you'll need your birth certificate unless they explicitly state it. Just take a provisional licence or passport :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Alxndra
I'll say you definitely need fancy dress, the though you can't really prepare for at this stage :tongue: my uni had a freshers booklet online with all the fancy dress nights so we could buy stuff. But don't worry about it, half the fun is just improvising with what you've got :smile:

Doubt you'll need your birth certificate unless they explicitly state it. Just take a provisional licence or passport :smile:

Thanks! Haha didn't think I would... just wasn't sure if there was some proper random document or something that I'd need :smile:
Reply 5
MDMA
Reply 6
School tie is a must.

Door stop helps when moving in/first day.

Any products containing ethanol are also good.
Original post by helenjdkrbhg
Thanks! Haha didn't think I would... just wasn't sure if there was some proper random document or something that I'd need :smile:

My uni gave us a guide that told us exactly what we needed to take for our different registrations. Don't worry; they want as little hassle and as few problems as you, so what you need to take, they'll let you know :smile:

I also found out the different fancy dress events from a Facebook group for the Freshers. Your uni/SU will probably do a similar thing :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by feenicks89
MDMA

Haha I had to google that :frown: .... lmao thanks great advice i'll keep that in mind
Reply 9
Original post by desdemonata
My uni gave us a guide that told us exactly what we needed to take for our different registrations. Don't worry; they want as little hassle and as few problems as you, so what you need to take, they'll let you know :smile:

I also found out the different fancy dress events from a Facebook group for the Freshers. Your uni/SU will probably do a similar thing :smile:

okay, that's made me feel better! thanks :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by james22
School tie is a must.

Door stop helps when moving in/first day.

Any products containing ethanol are also good.

Why a school tie?? Ahh thanks I didn't think of door stops :smile: good idea
Reply 11
Passport photos, always come in useful.

Obvious stuff for your room. Extension cable. Formal clothes. Fancy dress, as mentioned. Kit for any hobbies/sports (as generally you can't get this from wilko's on the cheap!). Oh and booze, booze is helpful. Should get some stuff free once you're there (eg. condoms).
okay, that's made me feel better! thanks :smile:

Haha glad to help :smile: They do try to make moving into uni as stress-free as possible and it pretty much is once you've gotten over the nerves of meeting your flatmates :biggrin: My uni even asks you if you want someone to drop by after the first few days to see how you're doing, it's so sweet! :cute:
Reply 13
Why a school tie?? Ahh thanks I didn't think of door stops :smile: good idea

Back to School is probably the most common fancy dress, it was first night of ours this year.
Reply 14
Original post by roh
Passport photos, always come in useful.

Obvious stuff for your room. Extension cable. Formal clothes. Fancy dress, as mentioned. Kit for any hobbies/sports (as generally you can't get this from wilko's on the cheap!). Oh and booze, booze is helpful. Should get some stuff free once you're there (eg. condoms).

I didn't think of passport photos either! I was thinking of taking an alchy supply... wasn't sure if people did that or if they generally went out to drink and I'd just look like a cheap skate lmao:frown:
Reply 15
Original post by desdemonata
Haha glad to help :smile: They do try to make moving into uni as stress-free as possible and it pretty much is once you've gotten over the nerves of meeting your flatmates :biggrin: My uni even asks you if you want someone to drop by after the first few days to see how you're doing, it's so sweet! :cute:

haha that does sound sweet! great, thanks :smile:
Reply 16
I didn't think of passport photos either! I was thinking of taking an alchy supply... wasn't sure if people did that or if they generally went out to drink and I'd just look like a cheap skate lmao:frown:

Out? To drink? Not if you have a vague intention of going to a club that evening. Even my mate with full PhD funding still pre-drinks!

Notable exception of bar crawls. Not sure why, but students are all up for drinking out so long as we A) Get to dress ridiculously and B) Only drink once per establishment.
Reply 17
Original post by roh
Out? To drink? Not if you have a vague intention of going to a club that evening. Even my mate with full PhD funding still pre-drinks!

Notable exception of bar crawls. Not sure why, but students are all up for drinking out so long as we A) Get to dress ridiculously and B) Only drink once per establishment.

lol okay that's reassuring... dressing ridiculously is always good
Reply 18
lots of paracetamol, nothing else. well maybe condoms but that should have you set.
Reply 19
Original post by cl_steele
lots of paracetamol, nothing else. well maybe condoms but that should have you set.

nothing else?? lol I may not have any drink, clothes, books or food but I'll be fine as long as I am headache and pregnancy free! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending