The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xotol
This is stupid.

I've had about five emails today from random sites I signed up to years ago saying 'happy birthday!', and every time I almost had a heart attack because I thought it could have been from Cambridge. :sigh:

Its a horrid feeling, i keep getting continuous emails from youtube and confused.com :angry::angry::angry:
Original post by ma-anna
Yeah well I thought my first set of interviews went quite well and obviously i didnt get a place so hopefully its the reverse of what you think!!! my essay was an absolute disaster.... and talking about the prose was less bad. but overall it was terrible :frown:

Yeah same, I do hope I'm wrong!

I'm really really hoping that we will get an email tomorrow...whatever it may say, I just want to KNOW

Ooh, just remembered that the girl doing the essay at the same time as me had brown hair - that wasn't you by any chance was it? I was in the preparation room 9-10.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OFFER from Girton for 2014 post reinterview received by e-mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO SO SO happy!!!!!

I just want to say a HUGE thank you to Minerva for being so helpful and kind and amazing and patient on this thread. We have all loved your wise words of wisdom and we are so grateful that you give up your own time to keep us sane :smile:

Also I really want to thank all of my fellow fishes, drowned or fished. We kept each other going on this thread, fishy puns and all! If you've been fished, congrats and you will now and I will now UBER appreciate my plaice more than I could've ever done before without going through this. To those that have drowned, you'll be brilliant wherever you choose to go and it's Cambridge's loss :P

Okay I think that's it... just about :P I'm off to plan my GAP YAH now :P
Original post by iamsherlocked
MY FEELINGS PRECISELY! It felt kind of like they just wanted to get the interview finished as quickly as possible. It's a relief to hear it wasn't just me they were like that to! ...I suppose, if they were uninterested in all 6 people that they interviewed, they have still got to give the places to some people. But tbh, I keep wondering, if they are like that to their students as well as to interviewees, would we really want to go there? a question to which I do not know the answer

You weren't by any chance the blonde girl who came in just as I was leaving, were you? :smile:

I... I may have been that blonde girl... :P was said blonde girl wearing dark navy shirt and black skirt & tights?
EDIT - my hair's kind of in between blonde and brown so I may even have been in the same prep room as you haha, I know when I came in to prep there was a dark-haired girl there with me doing the interview preceding mine.

I am also a fellow Churchill English re-interviewee... though I had a interview with Fitzwilliam on the same day too.

Don't shoot me for this - but I thought both interviews went really well, I found the interviewers approachable and likeable, though Fitz probably went better than Churchill. The Churchill interviewers seemed very happy and impressed until we got to the unseen poem - then they didn't seem too convinced by my interpretation, seemed to be pushing for something more.

Did you guys agree to consider a deferred place?? I did but now I'm definitely regretting it a bit... would hate to have to wait ANOTHER year :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MissMedic
Rejection from Emmanuel,Medicine :frown:

noooo :frown:( did you get a reinterview?
Reply 5485
Original post by stalkingparent
Sorry to hear about that for your son, I'm sure he'll do very well wherever he chooses to go to now.

I hope you do not mind me asking - but was it Robinson that emailed you or Peterhouse the original college?

Email was from Peterhouse.
Original post by _Georgie
OFFER FROM GIRTON POST RE-INTERVIEW :biggrin:
Came by letter

Yay! I was hoping your blossoming romance with Lord of the Flies wouldn't come to an abrupt end :tongue:

(I spend too much time on this website :colondollar:)
Thanks Minerva! Just got saved by the Sidney Sussex lifeboat!
Original post by win butler's son
thanks minerva! Just got saved by the sidney sussex lifeboat!

congratz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
Reply 5489
Original post by shamika
Yay! I was hoping your blossoming romance with Lord of the Flies wouldn't come to an abrupt end :tongue:

(I spend too much time on this website :colondollar:)

Oh wow, I'm afraid you may have got the wrong impression! :rolleyes:
Reply 5490
Original post by cath1509
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OFFER from Girton for 2014 post reinterview received by e-mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO SO SO happy!!!!!

I just want to say a HUGE thank you to Minerva for being so helpful and kind and amazing and patient on this thread. We have all loved your wise words of wisdom and we are so grateful that you give up your own time to keep us sane :smile:

Also I really want to thank all of my fellow fishes, drowned or fished. We kept each other going on this thread, fishy puns and all! If you've been fished, congrats and you will now and I will now UBER appreciate my plaice more than I could've ever done before without going through this. To those that have drowned, you'll be brilliant wherever you choose to go and it's Cambridge's loss :P

See you at Girton in 2014! Congrats :biggrin:
Original post by ohlittlewolf
I... I may have been that blonde girl... :P was said blonde girl wearing dark navy shirt and black skirt & tights?
EDIT - my hair's kind of in between blonde and brown so I may even have been in the same prep room as you haha, I know when I came in to prep there was a dark-haired girl there with me doing the interview preceding mine.

I am also a fellow Churchill English re-interviewee... though I had a interview with Fitzwilliam on the same day too.

Don't shoot me for this - but I thought both interviews went really well, I found the interviewers approachable and likeable, though Fitz probably went better than Churchill. The Churchill interviewers seemed very happy and impressed until we got to the unseen poem - then they didn't seem too convinced by my interpretation, seemed to be pushing for something more.

Did you guys agree to consider a deferred place?? I did but now I'm definitely regretting it a bit... would hate to have to wait ANOTHER year :/

I have no idea what anyone was wearing. What time was your interview? I was in the prep room 9-10, probably leaving the interview at about 10.30.

"Impressed" is not a word I would use to describe the Churchill interviewers - but then that's my fault for being unimpressive! The ginger guy was nice enough, although I felt like he kept trying to hurry the interview forwards rather than letting me give developed answers. The other guy, the Director of Studies, seemed to kind of dislike me, I think that stemmed from the point where I had nothing to say about the prose passage...

Yes I did, I'm now beginning to wonder whether they were secretly interviewing us for deferred entry without telling us that... Yes I would be a bit annoyed to be given a deferred place, but I would be glad to have a place at all! And I guess I would just make the most of taking an unexpected gap year. When you say "ANOTHER" - are you already on a gap year then? Don't worry about it though, your answer to whether or not you will consider a deferred place is not SUPPOSED to affect your chances of getting a place this year - so chances are that if they do make you an offer for deferred place, they wouldn't have made you any offer at all if you hadn't said that you'd consider deferred. ...But let's not get ahead of ourselves! :smile:

please please please churchill send me an email tomorrow i am begging youuuuu
Reply 5492
Original post by cath1509

well done you!
im also taking a gap year so see you in 2014.
although I wasn't pooled. I have followed all your journeys am have so much respect for you guys, I think you're right Bout appreciating your place even more, but I feel similarly just accompanying you all on this thead ..... Obviously to a much lesser degree. So good to see good news on the thread, congratulations again x
Oh wow, I'm afraid you may have got the wrong impression! :rolleyes:

I was kidding. Massive congrats. Come over to the STEP thread, hopefully we'll get you all into Cambridge.

I work with someone who is a Girton mathmo grad. One of the nicest people in the world :smile: Aaaaaaaaaand my cousin also went to Girton. It really is a beautiful place
Original post by Hopscotch23
Rejected by track for History at Murray Edwards after a re-interview. I'm just so glad this god awful process is over and we can finally have some closure regardless of the outcome !

:frown: Rejecting by track seems a bit insensitive. At least you can finally move on with life though! I'm sure you'll do great wherever you go :smile: can I ask, when were you reinterviewed at Murray Edwards? I was placed in the pool, and also reinterviewed, but still waiting :s-smilie:...
See you at Girton in 2014! Congrats :biggrin:

Aha yes I will!!!!! Glad you got in too, congratz!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Xotol
This is stupid.

I've had about five emails today from random sites I signed up to years ago saying 'happy birthday!', and every time I almost had a heart attack because I thought it could have been from Cambridge. :sigh:

Happy birthday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5497
Original post by shamika
I was kidding. Massive congrats. Come over to the STEP thread, hopefully we'll get you all into Cambridge.

I work with someone who is a Girton mathmo grad. One of the nicest people in the world :smile: Aaaaaaaaaand my cousin also went to Girton. It really is a beautiful place

Haha I will do as soon as my exams finish next weds! Or sooner, as C3 doesn't really count. I was planning on learning M3-M4 for the mechanics section but I'll probably come seeking advice, I'm the type that likes a long term plan of action haha :tongue:
I didn't look round Girton much when I had my interview because I didn't want to get my hopes up! I will make a proper visit in Feb but it looked lovely and must be amazing to have such big grounds.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Noonoo
well done you!
im also taking a gap year so see you in 2014.
although I wasn't pooled. I have followed all your journeys am have so much respect for you guys, I think you're right Bout appreciating your place even more, but I feel similarly just accompanying you all on this thead ..... Obviously to a much lesser degree. So good to see good news on the thread, congratulations again x

Thank you so much :smile: :smile: :smile: are you at Girton too?
Original post by iamsherlocked
I have no idea what anyone was wearing. What time was your interview? I was in the prep room 9-10, probably leaving the interview at about 10.30.

"Impressed" is not a word I would use to describe the Churchill interviewers - but then that's my fault for being unimpressive! The ginger guy was nice enough, although I felt like he kept trying to hurry the interview forwards rather than letting me give developed answers. The other guy, the Director of Studies, seemed to kind of dislike me, I think that stemmed from the point where I had nothing to say about the prose passage...

Yes I did, I'm now beginning to wonder whether they were secretly interviewing us for deferred entry without telling us that... Yes I would be a bit annoyed to be given a deferred place, but I would be glad to have a place at all! And I guess I would just make the most of taking an unexpected gap year. When you say "ANOTHER" - are you already on a gap year then? Don't worry about it though, your answer to whether or not you will consider a deferred place is not SUPPOSED to affect your chances of getting a place this year - so chances are that if they do make you an offer for deferred place, they wouldn't have made you any offer at all if you hadn't said that you'd consider deferred. ...But let's not get ahead of ourselves! :smile:

please please please churchill send me an email tomorrow i am begging youuuuu

nooo I'm in year 13, I'm just super impatient to get to uni haha >.< i guess all our speculation really doesn't mean much, from what I've heard almost everyone who gets in thought their interview went terribly so despite having come away with a good feeling, I'm not setting my hopes too high.

oh god me too.... This is literally getting unbearable. I am the last person in my college to still have not heard back from Oxbridge... almost at the end of my tether. Let's hope for a quick response! And hopefully good news for both of us :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending