The Student Room Group

Order in which to learn further maths at home

SO im basically learning further maths at home( and if i'm okay with it then additional too), and was wondering if anyone would change the order i was thinking of learning it in. My order was:
c1,c2,d1,s1,m1,fp1,c3,fp2,c4,fp3,s2,m2,
is that alright, also is there any other combination people would find less challenging or maybe more interesting. Preferably interesting even if more challenging.
Edexcel btw
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do c3 and c4 before fp1, c4 is required for fp2 btw, i sggest looking at the specification.
Reply 2
You could learn FP1 a lot earlier than you think, it is not a hard module at all. Fun really.
I am not self taught but the modules that I have done so far are:

Year 12
C1, C2, S1, C3, C4, M1
Year 13
FP1, DE, D1, FP2, S2, M2
Reply 3
Original post by Keynesian
You could learn FP1 a lot earlier than you think, it is not a hard module at all. Fun really.
I am not self taught but the modules that I have done so far are:

Year 12
C1, C2, S1, C3, C4, M1
Year 13
FP1, DE, D1, FP2, S2, M2

yeah, i've been looking a lot at fp1 on ExamSolutions and haven't found it challenging at all. All I've found is that once you know the notations it's all relatively easy.
I was thinking about scrapping statistics and doing m3 and m4 instead, but heard they're really hard, and as i won't have a teacher to ask for help, would you recommend staying with stats?
Reply 4
Original post by JJMS
SO im basically learning further maths at home( and if i'm okay with it then additional too), and was wondering if anyone would change the order i was thinking of learning it in. My order was:
is that alright, also is there any other combination people would find less challenging or maybe more interesting. Preferably interesting even if more challenging.

You are planning on doing 12 Modules !. I should start with Core 1 and 2 and see how it goes.

Have your looked at the A-Level Specification ?

Reply 5
Original post by FloydRix
do c3 and c4 before fp1, c4 is required for fp2 btw, i sggest looking at the specification.

When you say c4 is required for fp2, why is that? I've heard people say stuff like that but have never fully understood it, is it like before you can start like gcse or something you have to be able to add and multiply :biggrin:?
Reply 6
Original post by JJMS
When you say c4 is required for fp2, why is that? I've heard people say stuff like that but have never fully understood it, is it like before you can start like gcse or something you have to be able to add and multiply :biggrin:?

some of the questions/content will be from the other modules.
Reply 7
[C1, C2, S1] [C3, C4, M1] [FP1, S2, M2] [FP2, FP3, M3]
Universities will love these modules!
Reply 8
Original post by steve2005
You are planning on doing 12 Modules !. I should start with Core 1 and 2 and see how it goes.

Have your looked at the A-Level Specification ?

I only decided to do the 12 because i know at a lot of colleges, in the first few days people decide whether or not to take further maths and if they do choose to it requires 12 haha. although if i'd learned 6 and struggled horrendously i would obviously stop and take the as level. Would my first 6 be alright for an as level or are they in the wrong order maybe?
Reply 9
Original post by LShirley95
[C1, C2, S1] [C3, C4, M1] [FP1, S2, M2] [FP2, FP3, M3]
Universities will love these modules!

Why's that?
Original post by JJMS
I only decided to do the 12 because i know at a lot of colleges, in the first few days people decide whether or not to take further maths and if they do choose to it requires 12 haha. although if i'd learned 6 and struggled horrendously i would obviously stop and take the as level. Would my first 6 be alright for an as level or are they in the wrong order maybe?

Why don't you read the Specifications? The Edxcel Specification document is 40 pages long and is packed with information.
Reply 11
Original post by steve2005
Why don't you read the Specifications? The Edxcel Specification document is 40 pages long and is packed with information.

I have skimmed it, but most of the time i find getting info from people informally, with their own opinions more helpful. The spec, for example, isn't going to say that,i dunno, d1 is painfully boring, but perhaps someone on here will...
Reply 12
Original post by JJMS
Why's that?

I have visited a lot of top universities, and they all say they prefer Mechanics and Pure modules where possible, but some grounding in Statistics is necessary. None of them like Decision (bringing the grand total of people who like decision up to 0). I was tempted to put M4 rather than S2 but that would be extremely brave!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
I have visited a lot of top universities, and they all say they prefer Mechanics and Pure modules where possible, but some grounding in Statistics is necessary. None of them like Decision (bringing the grand total of people who like decision up to 0). I was tempted to put M4 rather than S2 but that would be extremely brave!

Oh right, i was thinking the same about m3 as you said about m4 tbh, but i do find mechanics a lot more interesting than stats anyway. Why is it people find m3+m4 so hard anyway?
Reply 14
Original post by JJMS
Oh right, i was thinking the same about m3 as you said about m4 tbh, but i do find mechanics a lot more interesting than stats anyway. Why is it people find m3+m4 so hard anyway?

Generally bigger number = harder module. Statistics 2 is much more interesting than Statistics 1, so don't necessarily rule stats out. In general stats is easier to get good grades in than mechanics anyway. But quite frankly I would just do the first two blocks before starting to worry about what to do next.
Reply 15
Generally bigger number = harder module. Statistics 2 is much more interesting than Statistics 1, so don't necessarily rule stats out. In general stats is easier to get good grades in than mechanics anyway. But quite frankly I would just do the first two blocks before starting to worry about what to do next.

Thanks haha, i'll start to look over the blocks, and see what the content is in each module in much more detail haha, I would give you a positive rating as you've been really helpful but apparently there's a limit to how much of that i can do !:colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by JJMS
Edexcel btw

I'm only doing AS Further Maths with A2 Maths on Edexcel, but the order I'm learning them is:
Year 12: C1, D1, S1, FP1, C2, D2
Year 13: C3, either M1/S2, C4
Reply 17
Original post by lizz-ie
I'm only doing AS Further Maths with A2 Maths on Edexcel, but the order I'm learning them is:
Year 12: C1, D1, S1, FP1, C2, D2
Year 13: C3, either M1/S2, C4

Are you doing this at home r in college?
Reply 18
Original post by JJMS
yeah, i've been looking a lot at fp1 on ExamSolutions and haven't found it challenging at all. All I've found is that once you know the notations it's all relatively easy.
I was thinking about scrapping statistics and doing m3 and m4 instead, but heard they're really hard, and as i won't have a teacher to ask for help, would you recommend staying with stats?

I have only just started M2 so cannot comment on the overall difficulty but have heard horrible things about M3-4.
Reply 19

I think it's fair to say that S2 is easier than S1, especially with MEI

Quick Reply

Latest