The Student Room Group

David Cameron refuses to face UKIP in tv debates

xx
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The article gives pretty much all the reasons. The biggest being that even if UKIP were to maintain their current poll ratings into the election, they'd still be lucky to even win a seat, never mind have any role in the making of a government.

Even if we ignore that, suppose UKIP do get lucky and win a couple of seats. Let's suppose that either Labour or the Tories are just short of a majority, and that those UKIP seats would give them it. Both major parties would be able to find coalition partners who they could concede far less to than UKIP - the Tories would probably turn to the Northern Irish unionists, Labour to SNP/Plaid Cymru.

What I'd personally like to see is one debate between all the parties running candidates in more than half the constituencies (in other words, all the parties that could theoretically win a majority), and then another just between the two leaders who might actually end up as Prime Minister. But that's not going to happen.
Reply 2
Good.

As a Tory who does not like Ukip's stance on several issues he has done the correct thing for the party.
Reply 3
Coward.
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21
Good.

As a Tory who does not like Ukip's stance on several issues he has done the correct thing for the party.

Presumably he doesn't like Labour's stance on more than several issues?
Reply 5
Original post by Hopple
Presumably he doesn't like Labour's stance on more than several issues?

Yes but Ukip are more likely to take any benefit from the Tories than they are any other party.
Reply 6
Original post by kevin6767
x

His gamble. He could look like he's running scared from them, but the TV debates aren't a constitutional requirement by any stretch and he can refuse to do them or refuse to do them unless only certain people are in, if he wishes. Last time there was just a coincidence that all 3 leader believed they could gain from them, but if they don't think that this time they won't do them. Be a shame though.
Reply 7
It would be a joke for him to be involved. If UKIP win more than 10 seats then maybe let them debate next election. As it stands, they have no seats and the joke of a party called the Greens is a bigger party than UKIP.

It would also be embarrassing to hear him answer every question in the same way.

"What do you think our energy policy should be?"
"Well, the problem with Europe..."

"How can we fix the economy?"

"What should we do with education?"

"What is your stance on gay marriage?"
Reply 8
Ignoring them won't make them go away.
Coward. He knows he wouldn't have a chance against Farage's superior intellect. Plus a good debate would encourage more to vote for UKIP.
Reply 10
Original post by kevin6767
Exactly why I said for those who refuse to turn up there should just be an empty podium. True there is no constitutional requirement but I think people will want to see them.

Problem there could be you end up with the two key podiums empty. If Cameron said no I believe Miliband would too. Sharing a platform with a load of parties with no hope of an overall majority will allow Cameron to appear as statesmanlike, rising above the petty squabbling of the parties to deal with THE BIG ISSUES, one of the privileges of incumbency.

However, Miliband wouldn't really be seen as running scared if he were to back out too. At that point his main rival's already done it and none of the other candidates are likely to take a lot of votes from him, given most left wingers who voted Lib Dem last time wouldn't dream of it now and the likes of the Greens aren't going to make a serious impact on his polling numbers, nor do they have the media support UKIP does.

This would leave just UKIP, the Greens, Lib Dems, SNP and so on debating about how they'll run the country when they don't get in, which people won't be that interested in.
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
Yes but Ukip are more likely to take any benefit from the Tories than they are any other party.

Then say that's his reason, not merely that he doesn't like their stance on some issues.
Reply 12
Original post by Hopple
Then say that's his reason, not merely that he doesn't like their stance on some issues.

Oh you misunderstood, i agreed with his decision because i do not like the Ukip stance on some issues. The reasons he did so i don't know.
Original post by Harry Callahan
Coward. He knows he wouldn't have a chance against Farage's superior intellect. Plus a good debate would encourage more to vote for UKIP.

Don't you mean his populist intellect?
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21
Oh you misunderstood, i agreed with his decision because i do not like the Ukip stance on some issues. The reasons he did so i don't know.

Ah, I thought the "Tory who does not like Ukip's stance on several issues" was him, not you :tongue:
Reply 15
How can people back UKIP? I really don't understand, despite the problems with Europe we'd be in trouble without them. Isolating ourselves from mainland Europe would be a huge error, economically and politically, we might escape some of their bureaucracy but the price would be far too high.

For all this talk of Farage being of superior intellect, all of the seated or well supported party leaders except George Galloway are very intelligent people, it just comes down to their debating skills and the ideological standpoint which they take as to who the people vote for. UKIP getting even 1 seat isn't really on the cards so they would be out of place in any debate. Equally Respect, Green and I would say the Lib Dems too shouldn't be involved just let Ed and Dave argue the toss because then people aren't distracted by parties which would never get into power.
Original post by Alex_Jones
Don't you mean his populist intellect?

All parties are populist. Farage is the brightest figure in British politics, and UKIP will get an awful lot of votes next election.
Reply 17
All parties are populist. Farage is the brightest figure in British politics, and UKIP will get an awful lot of votes next election.

I'm not saying he isn't bright, but there are some people with hefty academic weight behind them on all sides (eg. Kwarteng, Balls, Cable) who I think in a straight battle of intellect could out duel any of the party leaders, though that doesn't mean they are better politicians by any stretch.
UKIP will get an awful lot of votes next election.

Nowhere near as many as nobody.

Also in response to the OP, I'm pretty sure the PM has more important things to do.
He just wants to keep the debate confined to the main parties, but I don't want to see us stick to a two party system for ever. I think it shouldn't be restricted to the three main parties at all. Definitely get some of the other party leaders up there. It wouldn't do any harm and it would promote democracy and fairness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending