The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English & white - not good if you live in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by oj234
:troll:

It's actually comic that you accuse others of trolling when you start almost every post with some kind of muddle-headed denunciation of the previous poster for something they didn't say or a belief they don't hold, other than in your mind. I think defining you as a "propagandist" is not far off the mark.
It is weird how little white people there are in some areas. in my school there are probably as much indians as white people, and it does feel a bit weird (and im indian myself lmao)
Original post by oj234
How boring.

How so?
Original post by zara55
Is that a brag?

What's the big anxiety about having Asian and Black people living nearby?

Yes of course it is a brag...:s-smilie: Its a comment.
no one said there was.
Original post by Matthew12
Its not racism since Jews come from a variety of different racial backgrounds

"It's not racism, Aryans come from a variety of different racial backgrounds"
Original post by BurkenHair
"It's not racism, Aryans come from a variety of different racial backgrounds"

and your point is
Original post by Parx
I never said I don't want to make non white friends though did I? I said I want to meet more white english people.

But going by what you said why can't black/asian people be friends with non black/asian people? You notice how they're friends with each other in London. Why can't white people not have a right to be friends with each other? Is that illegal??

If black or brown people want to make friends with people of their skin colour, that is stupid in my opinion, just like you wanting to meet white people. I don't think you're racist or what you want to do is racist, I just think it's a good example of HUMAN stupidity, doesn't matter if you're white brown or black, if you seek out friends of the same skin colour I personally think you're daft. It's human nature to be daft so I see why you want to act like you do.
I don't get why people feel the need to make friends of the same skin colour, i've somehow never had the desire to make friends who look like me so I don't really understand the need. I make friends with anyone, I've been around black people, asians and white people and I never really cared so I don't get why others do?
I don't know maybe that's just me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 246
Original post by Theoneoranro
If black or brown people want to make friends with people of their skin colour, that is stupid in my opinion, just like you wanting to meet white people. I don't think you're racist or what you want to do is racist, I just think it's a good example of HUMAN stupidity, doesn't matter if you're white brown or black, if you seek out friends of the same skin colour I personally think you're daft. It's human nature to be daft so I see why you want to act like you do.
I don't get why people feel the need to make friends of the same skin colour, i've somehow never had the desire to make friends who look like me so I don't really understand the need. I make friends with anyone, I've been around black people, asians and white people and I never really cared so I don't get why others do?
I don't know maybe that's just me.

You know, I was starting to think that I was the only person out here who couldn't care less about what race my friends were, or what % of ethnics made up my neighbourhood.
Why is this still an issue to people? Do you walk down the street and see some and think "Oh that person is black/brown/red/blue/white/magenta/etc.". When I meet people for the first time, I don't "label" them to their ancestry, all our ancestors did stupid things, it doesn't make us who we are now. If the person is cool, be friends with them regardless of race/religion/sex/age/height/weight/etc.
Original post by Another
You know, I was starting to think that I was the only person out here who couldn't care less about what race my friends were, or what % of ethnics made up my neighbourhood.

We're a rare breed lol
Original post by Parx
I find London to be a bit of an enigma. On one hand I love how big it is, the anonymity of it. The endless things to do and places to see. To an EXTENT, the cultural aspects and meeting people from different backgrounds etc But having lived abroad in my life I've never had a problem meeting people from other backgrounds. I've known people from all over the world from a young age as I lived abroad.

But then I think to myself how it's difficult to fit in as a white working class English guy sometimes. Honestly, unless you mix in middle class circles you simply don't get the chance to meet groups of white people. The polarisation of rich/poor means you have middle class enclaves mixed in with the poverty, council estate type of areas.

I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.

If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto. The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about. You start to lose your identity. I mean it's only natural. If a black or asian guy/girl was surrounded by 14 white people at work in Pakistan or Nigeria how would they feel?

Get an education ol' boy. The higher up the tree you go, the fewer black people you meet.
Reply 250
Original post by Redreynard
Get an education ol' boy. The higher up the tree you go, the fewer black people you meet.

That's kinda racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenocide
Yeah, sod it OP, come live up here in York. All we have is white peeps :ahee:

Don't know much about York - but Sheffield has a fair number of Asians. Is York the same?
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Don't know much about York - but Sheffield has a fair number of Asians. Is York the same?

Perhaps marginally more so now than 9 years ago when I was starting secondary school, but not a very significant Asian population at all I would say.

The other thing - and I'm not sure if this is peculiar to York or if it's typical elsewhere in the North - is that what relatively few Asians there are aren't generally viewed as a separate community. They simply appear to be as British as the next person, only with brown skin, because they don't isolate themselves. In contrast, I think other cities with greater Asian populations tend to see Asians bunching together and forming their own little communities and not integrating much, which is when Brits tend to get a bit more hostile.
Original post by Parx
I find London to be a bit of an enigma. On one hand I love how big it is, the anonymity of it. The endless things to do and places to see. To an EXTENT, the cultural aspects and meeting people from different backgrounds etc But having lived abroad in my life I've never had a problem meeting people from other backgrounds. I've known people from all over the world from a young age as I lived abroad.

But then I think to myself how it's difficult to fit in as a white working class English guy sometimes. Honestly, unless you mix in middle class circles you simply don't get the chance to meet groups of white people. The polarisation of rich/poor means you have middle class enclaves mixed in with the poverty, council estate type of areas.

I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.

If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto. The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about. You start to lose your identity. I mean it's only natural. If a black or asian guy/girl was surrounded by 14 white people at work in Pakistan or Nigeria how would they feel?

White people are still in the majority in London; almost 60% of London is white british. If you cannot find any white english people in London you are either lying or have not looked hard enough. I'm black, but this is my country too, I was born and bred here. Am I complaining that I am a minority in my own country, no.
Original post by jennaz77
White people are still in the majority in London; almost 60% of London is white british. If you cannot find any white english people in London you are either lying or have not looked hard enough. I'm black, but this is my country too, I was born and bred here. Am I complaining that I am a minority in my own country, no.

Not so. The 2011 census shows that white Britons now constitute 45% of the population of Greater London so despite still being the largest single ethnic group, they are no longer in a plural majority. It's true that white people as a whole are still a majority in London, but that's including Irish, Eastern Europeans, etc.
Reply 255
Original post by jennaz77

Who are you to tell me as a black person that I'm lying or not trying hard enough to meet white people? I'll figure that out for myself thanks.

Also stop hiding behind the fact that this 60% is inclusive of the outer areas of London as opposed to inner, and is inclusive of central London. I would say about 20% are white english in actual London. Don't bull**** around.
Reply 257

This happens with all cultures, no matter who's in majority... ever heard of Westboro Baptist church?
Reply 258
Original post by Another
This happens with all cultures, no matter who's in majority... ever heard of Westboro Baptist church?

Does it now. So you see ordinary white English people going to Muslim areas and saying ' this is a white english zone, get out ... asian girls are dirty slags .... take that burkha off now' etc etc??? No you don't.
Reply 259
Original post by Parx
Does it now. So you see ordinary white English people going to Muslim areas and saying ' this is a white english zone, get out ... asian girls are dirty slags .... take that burkha off now' etc etc??? No you don't.

Well, if they did that, they wouldn't be called ordinary, would they? Nor would they be represetative of the general public.

I can't just say "Hey look, white people are saying that all fags should go to hell, and that God hates them... they must all think like that!"

Latest

Trending

Trending