The Student Room Group

Healthiest way to lose two stone and get fit for summer?

Hi guys,

I currently weigh 9.7 stone, 5 foot 7, average build. My weight always seems to fluctuate, the heaviest I have been is 12 stone, the smallest I have been is 8.5 stone. I really want to get fit and healthy for summer as I never really feel confident getting into a bikini or walking in shorts and a crop top, but this year I want things to change.

My diet is pretty healthy I believe, although I am guessing it could be improved. On an average day I will eat:

Breakfast: Bowl of cornflakes with milk, 2 coffees with milk and sugar.

Lunch: Soup or supernoodles.

Dinner: Usually something from the freezer like breaded chicken, salad, wedges or sausage, beans and chips, or fish + chips, mushy peas.

The exercise I do is usually walking for 40 minutes a day to and from lectures, as I can't find time to go the gym ideally so I try to cut my food intake to make up for that factor.

Any tips or food ideas to lose weight? I want to lose 2 stone and hopefully weigh somewhere around the 7.7 mark.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The real question here is whether or not you losing two stone is healthy in itself!
Original post by FallonSmith
Hi guys,

I currently weigh 9.7 stone, 5 foot 7, average build. My weight always seems to fluctuate, the heaviest I have been is 12 stone, the smallest I have been is 8.5 stone. I really want to get fit and healthy for summer as I never really feel confident getting into a bikini or walking in shorts and a crop top, but this year I want things to change.

My diet is pretty healthy I believe, although I am guessing it could be improved. On an average day I will eat:

Dinner: Usually something from the freezer like breaded chicken, salad, wedges or sausage, beans and chips, or fish + chips, mushy peas.

lolno

sorry but everything from the freezer is going to be relatively unhealthy... you could probably cut out a lot of excess calories by simply swapping the breaded, frozen chicken/fish for fresh stuff... which will also be more nutritious and make the exercise you are getting far more worthwhile

you should also probably swap your staples of wedges and chips for pasta and/or rice...

but i think its the processed meat/fish products that you will find are the most calorific... I'd actually be interested to know how many kcals are in one of these frozen breaded chicken pieces... just for reference, a fresh chicken breast has around 100kcals, as far as i remember lol
Reply 3
I know BMI is like considered all wrong and stuff now, but that means you're going to be pretty underweight. Which isn't healthy, really
Reply 4
Original post by Barden
lolno

sorry but everything from the freezer is going to be relatively unhealthy... you could probably cut out a lot of excess calories by simply swapping the breaded, frozen chicken/fish for fresh stuff... which will also be more nutritious and make the exercise you are getting far more worthwhile

you should also probably swap your staples of wedges and chips for pasta and/or rice...

but i think its the processed meat/fish products that you will find are the most calorific... I'd actually be interested to know how many kcals are in one of these frozen breaded chicken pieces... just for reference, a fresh chicken breast has around 100kcals, as far as i remember lol

I can't afford fresh food as I have the lowest student loan which just about covers my tinned/frozen food. The only fresh food I buy is milk, eggs and butter. The frozen food isn't that unhealthy, the breaded chicken is only around 350 calories which isn't that much for an evening meal. For a snack during the day I have fruit salad.
Reply 5
Original post by crowsy
I know BMI is like considered all wrong and stuff now, but that means you're going to be pretty underweight. Which isn't healthy, really

My BMI is considered healthy now but I have a tubby stomach and fat thighs so I always feel self conscious whatever I wear. When I was just over 8 stone I looked really toned and healthy. Right now this is getting me quite down, I just want my old body back :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Mockery
The real question here is whether or not you losing two stone is healthy in itself!

If you lose it over 5/6 months it is quite healthy :smile:
Reply 7
exercise is key, with a good diet as well.

if you want to lose weight, focus on exercising a lot and cutting down on your meals, but still eating the good stuff

walking for 40 mins? it's not going to be sufficient. you should take up running every other day

you need to keep some fatty foods as well that are good for you e.g. oily fish,
and some carbs at dinner time like rice
also eat meat as well if possible, it has protein

sorry that was all over the place. clearly i'm not an expert, but these are just some good pointers
Reply 8
Original post by AK.tsr
exercise is key, with a good diet as well.

if you want to lose weight, focus on exercising a lot and cutting down on your meals, but still eating the good stuff

walking for 40 mins? it's not going to be sufficient. you should take up running every other day

you need to keep some fatty foods as well that are good for you e.g. oily fish,
and some carbs at dinner time like rice
also eat meat as well if possible, it has protein

sorry that was all over the place. clearly i'm not an expert, but these are just some good pointers

Thank you I will bear this in mind! :smile:
I can't afford fresh food as I have the lowest student loan which just about covers my tinned/frozen food. The only fresh food I buy is milk, eggs and butter. The frozen food isn't that unhealthy, the breaded chicken is only around 350 calories which isn't that much for an evening meal. For a snack during the day I have fruit salad.

It's still about 3 times the calories of the fresh stuff... it is unhealthy.

But tbf, I assumed you were having the chicken and wedges/chips.

I think it's a bit of a myth that eating fresh food is too expensive though.

Rice and pasta are dirt cheap if you buy the value stuff... e.g 1kg of rice for 79p in tesco... definitely beats say... 500g of wedges for £1 :smile:

Can get 500g of fusilli pasta for 30p in most supermarkets...

Onions... 75p for 1kg in Morrisons... (will last ages... even if you use a whole onion per meal!)

Peppers are quite expensive but at £1.50 for 4 small peppers (value/economy range), they can last a week if you eat half a pepper per meal

Fresh meat is comparatively expensive, yes... but if you save on your staples, then that frees up more money (a kilo of rice will last well over a week, probably two.)
Hi guys,

The exercise I do is usually walking for 40 minutes a day to and from lectures, as I can't find time to go the gym ideally so I try to cut my food intake to make up for that factor.

Any tips or food ideas to lose weight? I want to lose 2 stone and hopefully weigh somewhere around the 7.7 mark.

Thanks in advance!

7.7 is too light for your height. You don't need to lose that much. 1-1.5 absolute max I would say.

Supernoodles are total crap. Sorry, but there are alternatives that are 10x as healthy and take like 10 minutes to prepare. I can give you a few ideas if you're interested.

Your diet seems way too carb-heavy. I dont think cutting out carbs is great either, but you could easily reduce your intake and make a decent difference. Swap the breaded frozen rubbish for fresh grilled chicken and you're laughing. Stuff like wedges and chips add way more than you'd think so I'd advise cutting these and swapping for healthy alternatives. Wholemeal pasta and rice, a few new potatoes or roasted vegetables.

As everybody knows, you need a balanced diet combined with exercise. Walking to and from uni isn't really counted in that. Yes, its physical effort, but its not exactly an opportunity for you to push yourself. Cutting the food to compensate for the lack of exercise wont work as well as if you made the effort to do both.

I recently went from 14st5 to under 12st in around 3 months by doing this. Plus cutting out the unnecessary rubbish such as fizzy drinks, chocolate, sweets, crisps etc.

It's not that hard if you are genuinely determined to succeed.
Reply 11
My BMI is considered healthy now but I have a tubby stomach and fat thighs so I always feel self conscious whatever I wear. When I was just over 8 stone I looked really toned and healthy. Right now this is getting me quite down, I just want my old body back :frown:

I meant when you have lost 2 stone. Then you will be quite underweight (I think it's about 16.5 as I used to have the same figures and the doctor shouted at me) which isn't really healthy. You've got about a stone to play with before you'll hit that so why not strive to get that figure back. It just sounds like you are being a little drastic, and if you are of "average build" then it will really start to show.

Maybe start by cutting the crap out of your diet, eating more fresh and healthy foods rather than the processed stuff you seem to be eating in vast quantities now.

Just an opinion though, which is what I assume you came here to get.
Reply 12

You are aiming at 7.5 stone which is well below where you should be. Instead of aiming to lose weight you should be aiming to tone and gain muscle.

Also you can afford healthier food than breaded chicken etc. A pack of 2 breaded chickens or whatever is averagely 1 pound. You can buy 1kg of frozen chicken breasts for just under 3 and that will last me like a week of meals!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
If you lose it over 5/6 months it is quite healthy :smile:

It doesn't matter how slowly you lose it, if I can see your ribs then you are underweight.
Reply 14
Original post by Barden
It's still about 3 times the calories of the fresh stuff... it is unhealthy.

But tbf, I assumed you were having the chicken and wedges/chips.

I think it's a bit of a myth that eating fresh food is too expensive though.

Rice and pasta are dirt cheap if you buy the value stuff... e.g 1kg of rice for 79p in tesco... definitely beats say... 500g of wedges for £1 :smile:

Can get 500g of fusilli pasta for 30p in most supermarkets...

Onions... 75p for 1kg in Morrisons... (will last ages... even if you use a whole onion per meal!)

Peppers are quite expensive but at £1.50 for 4 small peppers (value/economy range), they can last a week if you eat half a pepper per meal

Fresh meat is comparatively expensive, yes... but if you save on your staples, then that frees up more money (a kilo of rice will last well over a week, probably two.)

I try to only have chips twice a week with meals. The rest of the time it's just salad or frozed mixed veg.

I always thought rice and pasta was bad for you because of the carbs. I've cut my bread intake so I only consume it two days a week usually.

Those figures don't sound too bad cheers.
A lot of the weight you think is fat may actually be retained water. The foods you mentioned like from the freezer, Supernoodles and even Cornflakes tend to be high in sodium. Just eat food as close to its natural state as possible.
Reply 16
Original post by M e m p h i s
7.7 is too light for your height. You don't need to lose that much. 1-1.5 absolute max I would say.

Supernoodles are total crap. Sorry, but there are alternatives that are 10x as healthy and take like 10 minutes to prepare. I can give you a few ideas if you're interested.

Your diet seems way too carb-heavy. I dont think cutting out carbs is great either, but you could easily reduce your intake and make a decent difference. Swap the breaded frozen rubbish for fresh grilled chicken and you're laughing. Stuff like wedges and chips add way more than you'd think so I'd advise cutting these and swapping for healthy alternatives. Wholemeal pasta and rice, a few new potatoes or roasted vegetables.

As everybody knows, you need a balanced diet combined with exercise. Walking to and from uni isn't really counted in that. Yes, its physical effort, but its not exactly an opportunity for you to push yourself. Cutting the food to compensate for the lack of exercise wont work as well as if you made the effort to do both.

I recently went from 14st5 to under 12st in around 3 months by doing this. Plus cutting out the unnecessary rubbish such as fizzy drinks, chocolate, sweets, crisps etc.

It's not that hard if you are genuinely determined to succeed.

I never thought of my diet as being too carb heavy but now that you've pointed out what I'm actually consuming it's shocking. I will definitely consider buying fresh chicken to grill, maybe with uncle bens mediterraean rice?

Wow well done you must be so proud to have lost that much weight in such a short space of time!
I have been buy-in frozen skinless chicken breasts thinking that they were healthy, is this not right? only because it was cheaper that fresh and there we're more for the price.
Reply 18
Original post by Emmy101
You are aiming at 7.5 stone which is well below where you should be. Instead of aiming to lose weight you should be aiming to tone and gain muscle.

Also you can afford healthier food than breaded chicken etc. A pack of 2 breaded chickens or whatever is averagely 1 pound. You can buy 1kg of frozen chicken breasts for just under 3 and that will last me like a week of meals!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to lose weight before toning though.

Thanks will defo be considering the fresh meat option in meals now.
Reply 19
Original post by Mockery
It doesn't matter how slowly you lose it, if I can see your ribs then you are underweight.

But I can see my ribs at the moment but that's only because I am big boned naturally but I see your point.

Quick Reply

Latest