The Student Room Group

how long do you wear contact lens everyday?

My friend just told me that im wearing my contact lens for too long and im a little terrified now. I have been wearing contact lens from 12(6 years) and wear them from when I wake up till I go to bed and sleep in them occasionally after a long night or when im barely going to sleep at all. Is this bad? I thought this is normal practice...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My optician told me it's fine but I should preferably give my eyes a rest one day a week and just wear glasses for that day.
Reply 2
Original post by nic1
My friend just told me that im wearing my contact lens for too long and im a little terrified now. I have been wearing contact lens from 12(6 years) and wear them from when I wake up till I go to bed and sleep in them occasionally after a long night or when im barely going to sleep at all. Is this bad? I thought this is normal practice...

It is long

I assume to have your eyes checked regularly so if all is ok and your optician knows how long you are wearing them there are no worries

I say this as someone who has had serious eye damage from lenses
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
It is long

I assume to have your eyes checked regularly so if all is ok and your optician knows how long you are wearing them there are no worries

I say this as someone who has had serious eye damage from lenses

Actually I have not visited the optician recently lol because I had a year supplies of dailies but used each pair till they felt uncomfortable about 2 wks-a month then they would get blurry and would not stay then I would change them...figured out why waste them?
Yeah, that's far too long! Lol, I thought I was pushing it, I wear mine for about 10-12 hours and I wouldn't dream of sleeping in them.
Reply 5
Original post by nic1

I used to be the same, until I started University and now I wear my glasses 3/4 days of the week due to studying.

Initially, my optician told me that I needed to wear my glasses 1-2 days a week, so that I could let my eyes recover from them being dry. When they get seriously dry, that's when the damage really kicks in.
Reply 6
Original post by nic1
Actually I have not visited the optician recently lol because I had a year supplies of dailies but used each pair till they felt uncomfortable about 2 wks-a month then they would get blurry and would not stay then I would change them...figured out why waste them?

You are wearing a pair of daily lenses for 2-4 weeks?

You are foolish and could be causing serious damage

See an optician to check your eyes now
Reply 7
I wear mine for 10-12 hours MAX! Your eyes need a rest from the lenses, they can dry your eyes out. I wear my lenses when im at sixth form but wear glasses on the weekends if im not going out- gives my eyes a rest!
Reply 8
Original post by Debdener
I used to be the same, until I started University and now I wear my glasses 3/4 days of the week due to studying.

Initially, my optician told me that I needed to wear my glasses 1-2 days a week, so that I could let my eyes recover from them being dry. When they get seriously dry, that's when the damage really kicks in.

How do you know when your eyes become seriously dry?
Reply 9
Original post by nic1

Whenever I pop to the Optician for an examination.
Sometimes I feel it, as they go a little bit stiff and I have to repeatedly blink to retrieve the moisture.
Reply 10
From 2 to 12 hours, usually around 6. And i don't wear them everyday.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Using dailies for more then a day is really bad. They start changing their structere after a while and once they are out of your eye they are changing the structure too.

Reply 12
I wear mine for around 10 hours a day during week days.

Original post by nic1

When my eyes are dry when wearing contact lenses my eyes begin to form tears and I keep wanting to rub my eyes. That's when I know to take my contact lenses out and switch to glasses. Maybe use eye drops too.
Reply 13
Original post by Kathy89
Using dailies for more then a day is really bad. They start changing their structere after a while and once they are out of your eye they are changing the structure too.

Yes. Daily lenses are not as thick as monthly lenses I've found. One of my friends who was using daily lenses for over a week at a time had one split in his eye.
Reply 14
Original post by nic1

What? That is crazy! Just get month ones, don't use dailies for more than a day, really bad for your eyes.

OP, I usually keep mine in from when I wake up then take them out if i'm not going out anywhere in evening, or just until I go to bed. The longest i've kept them in was from 7am until 4am the next day, it's not recommended but once in a while i'm sure it's fine :dontknow:
Reply 15
I have monthlies, wear them from when I wake up to when I go to bed. So probably 8am till 12pm which isn't really recommended I suppose.

I once slept with them in which was a complete accident, just woke up with them kinda dry but easy to take out. Wouldn't do it again on purpose though.

I would never wear daily lenses for longer than a day. They're made of different material to the monthly ones and the cleaning solutions aren't made with that in mind.
Original post by nic1

Don't do that like the first time I did it I was terrified then I started to get lazy and all that and would wear them for like a week or two when until protein built
up and got blurry. When I did take them out my eyes felt bumpy when I blinked it. felt scratched not to mention standing up (I'm short sighted) I can't see my feet so it had made my vision worse. Looking at peoples faces I couldnt see eyes noses or eye brows or anything just a blurred face.

Popped into my opticians couldn't read the first big letter on the screen :frown: did a few tests like you know when you have to stare at a dot and he brings a light line over your eye, I saw about 4 dots moving and more than one line... It's like what 18th of Jan and I've been to the opticians like 4 times today was meant to be my 5th but I had an exam as he's coudnt correct my vision... :frown:

Well he has know and I can wear lenses but they're monthlys and are sooo uncomfortable. Don't get lazy with them it causes long term damage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
You certainly shouldn't sleep in them, but when I get up and get ready, I put them in, and generally have them in until the early hours.
Reply 18
12 hours per day. Best way is to use 6-6 with several hours break in between.
Reply 19
Original post by Timikji
Yes. Daily lenses are not as thick as monthly lenses I've found. One of my friends who was using daily lenses for over a week at a time had one split in his eye.

:O mine had never split..and they feel good for about two weeks so I calculated why waste my allowance...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending