Reply 141
area.pngThats what i did
log2(x-3) - log2x = 4
log2(x-3)/x = 4
(x-3)/x = 2^4
(x-3)/x = 16
(x-3) = 16x
-1/5 = x

Reckon I'd get a few method marks even though the final answer is most likely wrong?
Reply 143
Original post by olivers16
Can someone please explian how on Q9 i) the 4/x^2 integrated and put the 2a and a into becomes 2? Thanks.

I'll try my best to help!

Basically:

You need to integrate between 2a and a: (2x3 -5x2 - 4)x-2

Which equals 2x - 5 - 4x-2

Integrating it makes it become [x2 -5x + 4x-1] between 2a and a

So therefore (4a2 - 10a + 4/2a) - (a2 - 5a + 4/a)

does that help?
Reply 144
For 6:
just sub in values to U1 U2 and U3 to get x=15/2
put x in to find 8 works
ar/a=ar^2/ar=r
So (x+4)/2x=(2x-7)/(x+4)
goes to x^2+8x+16=4x^2-14x
3x^2-22x-16=(3x+2)(x-8)
Reply 145
9 has been answered by someone else :smile:
I could really do with someone going through the very last parts of 1 and 9, for both of those I used the quadratic formula and ended up with two answers.
Reply 147
Original post by cleverslacker
I could really do with someone going through the very last parts of 1 and 9, for both of those I used the quadratic formula and ended up with two answers.

a=1 is a root, so therefore f(-1) must equal zero.

Then divide the cubic by (a - 1) to get a quadratic

By using the quadratic formula you can then find the roots of the quadratic :smile:

You should get two answers from the quadratic formula for 9 ii) but one of them was negative - remember in the question it says that a is positive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 148
Original post by stirkee
I'll try my best to help!

Basically:

You need to integrate between 2a and a: (2x3 -5x2 - 4)x-2

Which equals 2x - 5 - 4x-2

Integrating it makes it become [x2 -5x + 4x-1] between 2a and a

So therefore (4a2 - 10a + 4/2a) - (a2 - 5a + 4/a)

does that help?

Ahh, yes it does :smile: Thank you. I found I got the first two values but not the +2
Reply 149
Original post by stirkee

By using the quadratic formula you can then find the roots of the quadratic :smile:

Makes more sense to use completing the square as they want exact answer and is quicker tbh, only (1-sqrt7)/3=a as it said a was a positive constant
Reply 150
what did everyone get for 6iib) ?
Original post by stirkee

thanks but it was when trying to find the roots of the quadratic that I had the problem. it says "other possible value" not "values", but I got two: (1/3)+(1/3)sqrt(7), (1/3)-(1/3)sqrt(7)
Anyone else get this?
Reply 152
thanks but it was when trying to find the roots of the quadratic that I had the problem. it says "other possible value" not "values", but I got two: (1/3)+(1/3)sqrt(7), (1/3)-(1/3)sqrt(7)
Anyone else get this?

See my edit :smile:

it said in the question that a is a positive constant.
Reply 153
Original post by mossss

My earlier post:

Original post by Selvey

Not sure if the below 'x' values are right (I can't remember them exactly), but this is the method I used.

a=2x
ar = x+4
ar2= 2x-7

Therefore, as 'ar
2'÷'ar' = r, that can be set equal to 'ar'÷'a'.Therefore (2x-7)÷(x+4)=(x+4)÷(2x). From there I cross multiplied and solved; and as one of the solutions was 8, I knew the other one was correct.(If I remember correctly x was -2/3).
Original post by Lstigant
Makes more sense to use completing the square as they want exact answer and is quicker tbh, only (1-sqrt7)/3=a as it said a was a positive constant

Oh bugger I didn't realise it said "positive" constant. Dya guys think I'll get like 5/6 marks?
Thanks for all your help in this thread :smile:
btw. I think you mean a=(1+sqrt7)/3, that would be the positive one
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 155
Original post by mossss

ar/a=ar^2/ar=r
So (x+4)/2x=(2x-7)/(x+4)
goes to x^2+8x+16=4x^2-14x
3x^2-22x-16=(3x+2)(x-8)
x=8 or x=-2/3
Reply 156
Oh bugger I didn't realise it said "positive" constant. Dya guys think I'll get like 5/6 marks?

I'd imagine that putting both roots from the quadratic would only lose you 1 mark yeah, with the rest of the working being correct!
Original post by stirkee
See my edit :smile:

it said in the question that a is a positive constant.

Original post by stirkee
I'd imagine that putting both roots from the quadratic would only lose you 1 mark yeah, with the rest of the working being correct!

Cool, thanks.
Not looking tooo bad for me, will have to check Mr. M's for silly mistakes though.
Reply 158
Cool, thanks.
Not looking tooo bad for me, will have to check Mr. M's for silly mistakes though.

Hopefully you do well!

I know I've lost 2 marks (maybe 3 depending on how many working marks I get) so hopefully I've made few/no stupid mistakes..

From what I've seen in this thread, a lot of the answers that I got (and can remember..) are being repeated so fingers crossed!!
Reply 159
Original post by KRJACK
What did anyone get for the value of k?

2/3 rings a bell? Or it might have been 3/2? Can't remember if I got +/- either?
Sorry, im not very helpful
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending