The Student Room Group

Tattooed Girls?

Hi everyone, was just wondering what everyones opinion was on females who get tattoos? I've heard some pretty varied thoughts on this and have actually started doing a sort of research project on where women seem to stand in tattoo culture, interested in what everyone here thinks!

Do you think it is 'unfeminine' for women to get ink (not my opinion) or do you think that in this day and age it shouldn't be an issue?

Girls, do you have any tattoos/want any?
Guys, would it change your opinion of a girl if she was tattooed?

may also post in society so sorry if you come across both :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know a lot of people like it, but I don't really unless it's a particular tattoo that has a significance behind it, or is somehow minimal and suggestive. Large tattoos I don't tend to like so much.

Of course it's just an aesthetic thing and I realise the reasons for having the opinion I do are completely arbitrary, so I try not to let it move my decisions too much. It wouldn't put me off a woman really unless they were really ugly tattoos in some way.
Reply 2
I would love a tattoo on my thigh and have always wanted one. Most tattoos are pretty subjective and down to personal taste anyway, and so I don't mind if some guys don't like them.
Reply 3
I do have a tattoo and plan on getting more, and I don't consider myself unfeminine at all. I don't really care if tattoo's are 'meaningful' or have some deep significance behind them, as long as they're drawn well and are tasteful. Some people simply like them for the art.

I'd like to think my tattoo's wouldn't put anybody off, but at the end of the day, I don't get them for anybody else but me, and if you overreact that much (seriously.. it's only a tattoo!) then you're not the kind of person I'd want to associate with anyway. :mmm:
Reply 4
Depends what kind of tattoo it is. A lot of girls get tattoos of butterflies and stuff like that on their shoulder, and to me that just looks Jeremy Kyle. However, a well-done tattoo in a good style is incredibly sexy. I remember seeing this photo from my university's Facebook page and thinking how hot the girl's tattoo looked.
Reply 5
I have tattoos (two quite large and two smaller) and definitely plan on getting more.

Most people don't expect me to have tattoos and they are usually very surprised. When I show them I usually have a positive reaction and people are interested in them. They are not usually visable. Three of my four tattoos are very meaningful to me, but I wouldn't rule out a getting a tattoo just because I love the artists work.

I don't think they are unfeminine at all (surprise, surprise), and feel a well done tattoo with the right placement can enhance a person. Ill thought out tattoos done by people without the artist talent required are seldom attractive on anyone.
i don't personally have any tattoos, i dont think they're unfeminine in any way, (unless its some really butch tattoo :L its down to the person and what they choose to get inked. fairplay i often think about getting a small one, maybe on my thigh or hip or somthing...

but im one of those people who change their minds far too often to be comfortable with getting a permenant tattoo :mmm:

i have seen some lush tattoos though. i think its a matter of the right place and how well done it is :smile:
I have a small tattoo on my foot of a dove with a small heart next to it. I think it's fine it's when girls plaster their body in tattoos like sleeves, throat and whole back tattoos.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It really depends on the tattoo(s) the girl has and it also depends on the girl. Some girls suit tattoo's where as with other girls it makes them look chavy and unattractive.
Original post by scorpion95
It really depends on the tattoo(s) the girl has and it also depends on the girl. Some girls suit tattoo's where as with other girls it makes them look chavy and unattractive.

Are there any particular traits which you think make a girl 'suit' tattoos?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends on the tattoo. I have three (got two done when i was 16) and only like one of them. I now have to go through tattoo removals!!! Argh!

Any tattoo that does not include, roses, barb wire, quotes, musical notes, and butterflies look great on us ladies, i definitively want one, but i think with the likes of tumblr in like 50 years our generation will have such similar tatts!
Original post by x.KimberleyB.x
Are there any particular traits which you think make a girl 'suit' tattoos?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't really say to be honest as is hard to describe, but I think the style of the girl also makes a difference such as rock chicks and similar are more likely to suit tattoo's than say your barbie type girls
XD I'm getting one this year, and will definately get more through my life. If a guy was that bothered about them, I probably wouldn't want to go out with them anyway. I love tattoos, as long as they're well done.
It really depends on the tattoo itself, i suppose. I think larger and for example 'sleeve' tattoos are kind of unfeminine but what does it matter? surely the only thing that matters is the person underneath.
Reply 15
One issue here is that fashion these days is all about change. Whereas tattoos, you are stuck with them.

I noticed this hot model called Aisling Grace, and she had been on the front cover of some tattoo magazine. However, if you have large tatttos, once you've shown them once, that is it. Whereas if you are modelling clothes, changing your hair and makeup, the permutations are infinite. And some of those permutations might not go with tattoos.

This is me talking about a model - do people feel this is relevant to everyday life?

Don't get me wrong, tattoos on a hot girl can be a real turn-on, but in the long term I prefer a girl without tattoos or with minimal discrete tattoos.
I don't have any and personally wouldn't want any. I simply don't like the idea of anything long lasting. I'm not mad about them but it depends on the design. They can look very pretty.
I love tattoos. Though, I'm not really a fan of really daft ones - like a joke picture or something like that. I don't think it makes a girl less feminine... There are plenty of feminine tattoo options out there.

I have a tattoo myself, but it's just a small quote on my side. I would love a thigh tattoo though!
Original post by Aries1992
I think it depends on the tattoo. I have three (got two done when i was 16) and only like one of them. I now have to go through tattoo removals!!! Argh!

Out of interest are the ones you are removing the ones you got at 16? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x.KimberleyB.x
Out of interest are the ones you are removing the ones you got at 16? x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. Really regret them now :[

Quick Reply

Latest