The Student Room Group

What should I take for Freshers??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by helenjdkrbhg
what are they??

Electrolyte tablets. Basically essential salts that you lose via sweat/ dehydration.

Honestly i've not had a single hang over other than tired-ness since i started using them, cheep as well!

Give them a whirl and you'll thank me later haha
Do you think you'd have less fun if you decide to stay home instead of accommodation for freshers week? I feel I might have missed the deadline for accommodation or I probably won't get it as I live so close!
Reply 42
Original post by dave_123
Electrolyte tablets. Basically essential salts that you lose via sweat/ dehydration.

Honestly i've not had a single hang over other than tired-ness since i started using them, cheep as well!

Give them a whirl and you'll thank me later haha

ooh interesting, I definitely will try that!
im not entirely sure what this freshers flu thing is but it doesnt sound good.... is it like man flu?

People from all over the country/world come together into a close environment, you're coming into contact with loads of viruses you'll never have encountered before so realistically will go down with some sort of cold/flu thing fairly quickly. Combination of new germs and putting your body through stuff it's not really used to! It's not too nasty, normally, but worth being prepared for!

Having said that, in first year I didn't get it at all, got a cold about 6 weeks in but I think that was just a cold. And then this year I went and got glandular fever instead. :sigh:
Reply 44
Original post by hannahchan
Do you think you'd have less fun if you decide to stay home instead of accommodation for freshers week? I feel I might have missed the deadline for accommodation or I probably won't get it as I live so close!

hmm I dunno, I reckon you'd still go out and stuff but the only way you'd know everything that was going on if you were like there if you know what I mean... but I obviously wouldn't know. And of course you haven't missed the deadline! Most people haven't even started applying yet :smile: worth a try isn't it?
Reply 45
Original post by ChopinNocturne
People from all over the country/world come together into a close environment, you're coming into contact with loads of viruses you'll never have encountered before so realistically will go down with some sort of cold/flu thing fairly quickly. Combination of new germs and putting your body through stuff it's not really used to! It's not too nasty, normally, but worth being prepared for!

Having said that, in first year I didn't get it at all, got a cold about 6 weeks in but I think that was just a cold. And then this year I went and got glandular fever instead. :sigh:

lol I was just jokin... but thanks! argh glandular fever is not nice to say the least :frown: unlucky
Reply 46
Seriously, is there some kind of random thing that I'll need? Like a birth certificate or something for signing up somewhere... Also, seen a lot of people going on fancy dress nights and stuff but not sure if those happen everywhere... so just generally what should I take?

I would say most common fancy dress is school disco so take a shirt and tie, most of the time you can improvise though. Also a few forms of ID (passport and driving licence for example) and your NI number are a good idea in case you decide to get a job. And at least one piece of ID is essential as you may need it for registering at uni and for going out.
im not entirely sure what this freshers flu thing is but it doesnt sound good.... is it like man flu?

Worse. Usually a fortnight of feeling like death, and its the reason why for the first 3 weeks of semester, you can hardly hear your lecturers speak.
Haha no, I don't start until September... I just like to worry about things in advance :tongue: where you off to?

Haha, I get where you're coming from. I've already got 3 packed boxes for when I have to move to uni :tongue:

I haven't heard back from any of the uni's yet, so I'm still anxiously awaiting their answers... One of them asked a portfolio, but I still have to send that in :P
Reply 49
Your NHS number/card thingy would be useful for registering with a GP :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by blubimnotafish
Haha, I get where you're coming from. I've already got 3 packed boxes for when I have to move to uni :tongue:

I haven't heard back from any of the uni's yet, so I'm still anxiously awaiting their answers... One of them asked a portfolio, but I still have to send that in :P

It's always good to be prepared :tongue: a portfolio? what courses are you applying for?
Reply 51
Original post by twinlensreflex
Your NHS number/card thingy would be useful for registering with a GP :smile:

I have a NHS card thingy?? This is news to me :frown:
It's always good to be prepared :tongue: a portfolio? what courses are you applying for?
English with/and Creative Writing (:
Reply 53
I have a NHS card thingy?? This is news to me :frown:

Well I do haha :tongue:
Reply 54
Original post by feenicks89
MDMA

Well wasn't expecting to see that here. However I would not recommend MDMA for freshers unless its a big night and you don't mind that you have a chance you will get thrown out (let's face it they will see your on it straight away)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest