The Student Room Group

Pharmacy at Aston University

Happy new year everyone!!!
I have an offer from Aston to do Pharmacy in September 2013.
Are there any TSR users that are doing pharmacy at Aston??
How is the teaching like and is the support from staff any good??
and overall how is the campus life like???

I would really appreciate a response,
Thanks
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessie.xx
Happy new year everyone!!!
I have an offer from Aston to do Pharmacy in September 2013.
Are there any TSR users that are doing pharmacy at Aston??
How is the teaching like and is the support from staff any good??
and overall how is the campus life like???

I would really appreciate a response,
Thanks
:smile:

Hi Jessie.

Sorry for the late reply I have just seen your message. I study Pharmacy at Aston uni. I am in my first year of the MPharm course.

The teaching is fantastic. They lectures really do teach the materials well and most of them (not all though!) would be happy to help if you have any questions. Most of the lectures are friendly and approachable.

Course wise: If you are good at Maths/ enjoy it. First year will be a breeze, f however, you are not so good at it you may struggle a little but if you keep up with the work all shall be fine. The first term will be quite hectic and generally exhausting, well for me it was anyways.

Campus wise: I don't really know since i live at home. However, some friends of mine that do live on campus either hate it or love it. It really depends on the type of people you live with.

Hope that this helps a bit. All the best with you A-levels.

Pharmacy in general is quite awesome, but just make sure that you don't leave everything till last minute it will really become a bit too much for you to handle. Something that I will defo learn from and not make the same mistake in June or ever again... :frown: Haha
Reply 2
Thank you!! :biggrin: That really helped, I didn't think anyone was going to reply :s-smilie:

I enjoy maths so I don't think I will have a problem with that, BUT I don't do biology.

I really didn't enjoy biology at AS because I didn't like the whole plants and evolution rubbish, to a switched to another course. I do enjoy human biology. Do you think I will struggle a lot?? I am planning to teach myself some of the human biology from the A level syllabus during the summer when the exams are over.

Are you doing work placement in our first year?? If so do you get to pick the location or is it arranged by the school??

This might be an awkward question but is there a good mix of people from different backgrounds on the course?? I get a bit tired of people asking me why I want to do Pharmacy as it an ''Asian course'' (I'm black by the way) Don't get me wrong!! I like hanging with different people from different cultures, but I don't want to be left out :frown:

Good luck with your exams and any assessments coming out!! :smile:
Reply 3
*up
Reply 4
Hey ! I'm not at Aston but I'm a first year Pharmacy student. Human Biology makes life easier as it under pins the clinical modules.Friends of mine who didn't do Human Biology struggled a bit in some aspects of one of my first semester modules which is meant to prep us for Physiology in 2nd semester. The fact that I did Human Biology makes me understand things better, not need yo learn somethings all over again and I enjoy the course more cuz' I can see where it links to the later courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rayore
Hey ! I'm not at Aston but I'm a first year Pharmacy student. Human Biology makes life easier as it under pins the clinical modules.Friends of mine who didn't do Human Biology struggled a bit in some aspects of one of my first semester modules which is meant to prep us for Physiology in 2nd semester. The fact that I did Human Biology makes me understand things better, not need yo learn somethings all over again and I enjoy the course more cuz' I can see where it links to the later courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No college in my area offers the human biology A level which is quite weird and I didn't enjoy the typical A level bio but I think it's worth to go over the basics and the human body systems cuz I'm scared about being behind at Uni. Which Uni are you in if you don't mind me asking?? :smile:
Reply 6
No college in my area offers the human biology A level which is quite weird and I didn't enjoy the typical A level bio but I think it's worth to go over the basics and the human body systems cuz I'm scared about being behind at Uni. Which Uni are you in if you don't mind me asking?? :smile:

I don't like Pure Biology either-the exact bits you mentioned above bur U love Human Biology :biggrin: As long as you're willing to work hard you'll be fine and make sure If you don't understand anything you clarify it immediately. Do enjoy your holiday cuz' when you get into uni, Pharmacy will make you work hard. I'm at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7

Also make sure you start working on getting experience in Pharmacy from first year.I'm doing the same and it'll make you stand out in future.
If you've got any questions now and in the future-lol- feel free to ask me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by rayore
I don't like Pure Biology either-the exact bits you mentioned above bur U love Human Biology :biggrin: As long as you're willing to work hard you'll be fine and make sure If you don't understand anything you clarify it immediately. Do enjoy your holiday cuz' when you get into uni, Pharmacy will make you work hard. I'm at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.

Thank you for the advice :biggrin: A lot of people have said the same but if it's a course you want to do then you have more drive to push yourself. Oh that's completely out of my zone, I live in Essex :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by rayore
Also make sure you start working on getting experience in Pharmacy from first year.I'm doing the same and it'll make you stand out in future.
If you've got any questions now and in the future-lol- feel free to ask me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you soo much for the help!!!
loool I will :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you soo much for the help!!!
loool I will :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 11
Thank you for the advice :biggrin: A lot of people have said the same but if it's a course you want to do then you have more drive to push yourself. Oh that's completely out of my zone, I live in Essex :smile:

Yes, far far away in the corner of North-east Scotland...
Reply 12
Sorry if this seems irrelevant, but I am currently in AS still and would like to study Pharmacy, especially at Aston (or Keele). Now Aston offers the mPharm course for students with A Level grades of AAB. Is it true, next year, that universities (including Aston) are lowering their entry requirements, so will allow students with grades ABB to be accepted due to lack of university spaces being filled?
Reply 13
Well done on the offer btw!:wink:
Reply 14
Original post by Euannn
Sorry if this seems irrelevant, but I am currently in AS still and would like to study Pharmacy, especially at Aston (or Keele). Now Aston offers the mPharm course for students with A Level grades of AAB. Is it true, next year, that universities (including Aston) are lowering their entry requirements, so will allow students with grades ABB to be accepted due to lack of university spaces being filled?

Ermmm I really don't know, I know Aston's entry requirements have been AAB for a while but if you do apply to Aston they don't interview people, instead you get invited to a department open day and optional interview, I have one coming up in February :smile: From the letter I got from them about a mouth ago said If you agree to have an interview during this day and you just missed for grades, IF!!!there is space left on results day, they take your performance in the interview to consideration but I don't know if this process will be the same for next year, I thought Aston would definitely do interviews :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Ermmm I really don't know, I know Aston's entry requirements have been AAB for a while but if you do apply to Aston they don't interview people, instead you get invited to a department open day and optional interview, I have one coming up in February :smile: From the letter I got from them about a mouth ago said If you agree to have an interview during this day and you just missed for grades, IF!!!there is space left on results day, they take your performance in the interview to consideration but I don't know if this process will be the same for next year, I thought Aston would definitely do interviews :s-smilie:

Heeyyy!! I have a conditional from Aston too and I'm going to the open day in February :biggrin:
Which date are you going to can I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by m.dot.mak
Heeyyy!! I have a conditional from Aston too and I'm going to the open day in February :biggrin:
Which date are you going to can I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!!! That's cool :smile: mine is on the 13th. where are you coming from??? I'm travelling from essex :biggrin:
Which other uni's did u apply to??
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hey!!! That's cool :smile: mine is on the 13th. where are you coming from??? I'm travelling from essex :biggrin:
Which other uni's did u apply to??
Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, mine is on the 27th- I was shocked how quickly the places got filled up! Like within a couple of hours or something
I'm travelling from Worcester so only like an hour away :wink:
I've applied to Wolverhampton, Keele and Birmingham- what about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by m.dot.mak
Aww, mine is on the 27th- I was shocked how quickly the places got filled up! Like within a couple of hours or something
I'm travelling from Worcester so only like an hour away :wink:
I've applied to Wolverhampton, Keele and Birmingham- what about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww good luck, I knowww! Its good to send your form early as possible especially for science courses, r u doing the interview?? Im not sure about the ethical questions doe. Oh ok. I don't know where that is :s-smilie:
I applied to uni's quite close like medway, reading, portsmouth and kings :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Aww good luck, I knowww! Its good to send your form early as possible especially for science courses, r u doing the interview?? Im not sure about the ethical questions doe. Oh ok. I don't know where that is :s-smilie:
I applied to uni's quite close like medway, reading, portsmouth and kings :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loolz hardly anyone knows where it is so I don't blame you- it's like south of Birmingham...
Yeah I'm doing the interview because I thought it would be a good experience
Have you got any other offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending