The Student Room Group

Hobbies a 16 year old can take up?

Hiya,
So yeah, I'm a 16 year old girl and looking to take up a hobby. I work hard at school and currently have a Saturday job, but I want to do something in my spare time, preferably a sport. I did ballet when I was 4, done horseriding, swimming and streetdance over the years, which I really enjoyed. Only problem is, most of these dance classes/ sports clubs are aimed at children and only go up to my age :s-smilie:
Any suggestions? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sailing, one of the most physical,tactical sports around. And badmintons good fun once you play seriously
Original post by 3mma_gal96
Hiya,
So yeah, I'm a 16 year old girl and looking to take up a hobby. I work hard at school and currently have a Saturday job, but I want to do something in my spare time, preferably a sport. I did ballet when I was 4, done horseriding, swimming and streetdance over the years, which I really enjoyed. Only problem is, most of these dance classes/ sports clubs are aimed at children and only go up to my age :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could do dance again. Tap perhaps

Memoirs of a misunderstood teen
Reply 3
Here are some of my hobbies to give you some ideas - maybe you'll find one that interests you:
Programming, chess, Esperanto, writing (essays and poems), badminton, aikido, rubix cubing, running, piano, juggling, politics, reading, philosophy, French, games development.
Archery, too often overlooked :smile: (although, possibly due to the cost of a lot of beginner courses. :tongue: If you're going to Uni when you're older, you may want to look in to it there...I highly recommend it! )
Reply 5
What about asking your school what extra curricular clubs they have? It would be cheap too.
Reply 6
Original post by miser
Here are some of my hobbies to give you some ideas - maybe you'll find one that interests you:
Programming, chess, Esperanto, writing (essays and poems), badminton, aikido, rubix cubing, running, piano, juggling, politics, reading, philosophy, French, games development.

:woo:

Wow! How do you find time?! I thought I was doing well with 2, and one of them's kind of half hearted! :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by roh
:woo:

Wow! How do you find time?! I thought I was doing well with 2, and one of them's kind of half hearted! :colondollar:

I make time. :smile: Haven't done much badminton lately since I don't have a partner, and I misplaced my rubix cube, but apart from that I still do all those.

I live very consciously of the fact that if I'm not careful I'll fall into a situation where I'm just floating along with not much to show for it. I used to have a mechanism through which I'd be forced to devote a certain amount of time to different self-improvement activities every day, but I abandoned it when I got a full-time job after uni. Right now I just jump from spending time on one interest for a while, then switch to another one. The last few months I've been concentrating on writing, aikido and Esperanto.

The only bar to having lots of hobbies is your priorities.
Reply 8
Original post by miser
I make time. :smile: Haven't done much badminton lately since I don't have a partner, and I misplaced my rubix cube, but apart from that I still do all those.

I live very consciously of the fact that if I'm not careful I'll fall into a situation where I'm just floating along with not much to show for it. I used to have a mechanism through which I'd be forced to devote a certain amount of time to different self-improvement activities every day, but I abandoned it when I got a full-time job after uni. Right now I just jump from spending time on one interest for a while, then switch to another one. The last few months I've been concentrating on writing, aikido and Esperanto.

The only bar to having lots of hobbies is your priorities.

Yeah, I suppose I've just decided to prioritise one over all others, cutting it out or down to just 5-6 hours a week would free up a lot of time.

I keep meaning to take up others, but end up shelving them when they start eating any of the time for the main one, which isn't very adventurous :colondollar:
Reply 9
What about netball? I play it and I really enjoy it and it's a good sport to play if you go to uni as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by its_just_em
What about netball? I play it and I really enjoy it and it's a good sport to play if you go to uni as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was considering that, I love it at school! Only trouble is, I don't know where to start:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I was considering that, I love it at school! Only trouble is, I don't know where to start:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well look on the Internet or at your school like on a notice board for local clubs in your area and start there? That's how I got started and I went along and the club were really nice and welcoming :-)
Reply 12
Original post by its_just_em
Well look on the Internet or at your school like on a notice board for local clubs in your area and start there? That's how I got started and I went along and the club were really nice and welcoming :-)

Yeah, the only problem is with my school, is that every week, only like, 2 people turn up:/ And I could try and google local clubs, but a) how much do they tend to cost usually? b) are they seriously competitive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flower arranging
Stamp collecting
Learning to play the air guitar
Bird watching
Looking at trees
Knitting
Train-spotting

These are just a few of the many things you could spend your time doing :smile:.
Reply 14
Bullet or Blitz chess.
Reply 15
Rowing, badminton, cycling, basketball. All good :smile:

Even the gym would be distraction from everyday life.
Original post by Hazeltine
Sailing, one of the most physical,tactical sports around. And badmintons good fun once you play seriously

Took the words straight out of my mouth. Sailing is fantastic. Find your nearest sailing club, wander down and talk to a couple of people and see about booking yourself onto a course or something. Then stick your name on the club noticeboard and advertise yourself to people looking for crew and you should end up with lots of people wanting you to come and sail with them. It's a very friendly sport, most people will have a genuine interest in getting you on the water and helping you out. It doesn't have to be expensive either. 20 quid wetsuit, some old trainers, a raincoat and a buoyancy aid borrowed from the club and you're ready. Your sailing can pan out however you want it to aswell. You could choose to just go for a little potter around a reservoir on a nice summers day, or you could end up on a 52 foot racing yacht sailing across the pacific ocean at breakneck speeds. It's so diverse, there will DEFINITELY be something to suit you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
what about cheerleading? You can keep on doing it when you get to uni! :smile:
Hiya,

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you enjoy dance still go for it! Maybe you need to look harder for a better school as it's weird that there's no one over 16 there, meaning no one seems to be reaching an advanced level, I wouldn't worry about being with younger ones though, as long as they're not like 10!
Yeah, the only problem is with my school, is that every week, only like, 2 people turn up:/ And I could try and google local clubs, but a) how much do they tend to cost usually? b) are they seriously competitive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My club isn't that bad maybe like £2-£3 per session? And again they won't be competitive because it's just a club and it just means you can get better and enjoy it at the same time! If you aren't sure maybe get a friend to go with you? I'm sure you would enjoy it :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest