The Student Room Group

Man sent to prison because stuff he posted on facebook 'may' have influenced others

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21090488

Slee also put online links to a communique by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), claiming those from the west were "Crusaders" and encouraging terrorism. Det Ch Supt Tony Mole, head of the North West Counter Terrorism Unit, said: "It is clear that Slee was a total fantasist.

"He had no links whatsoever to any terrorist organisations, was not a radical convert and there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest he engaged in any attack planning."

"While Slee may not have been planning any sort of attack, he could easily have influenced someone else with the propaganda he was uploading."

So this guy is not a terrorist not part of any terrorist groups. but he posted material which said soldiers (not everyone as the bbc claims) from the west are crusaders.

whilst i dont agree with that view, should it be a crime to post such material ? isnt that what news organisations basically do when they play videos of Al Qaeda goons telling muslims to kill infidels ( http://www.cnn.co.uk/2012/10/27/world/asia/al-qaeda-kidnap-threat/index.html ) Is uploading propaganda a crime ? what defines propaganda, would posting Saddam Hussain properganda in 2003 be a crime ? . Slee was posting the material on his troll account, seems abit orwellian to me.

Is this a clear example of terrorism legislation being used to curtail freedom of speech. Tomorrow they may start coming after conspiracy theorist. Just as in America where the Joint Terrorism Task Force designed to control Al Qaeda ended being used against the Occupy Wall Street movement

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/08/federal-reserve-fbi-spied-on-occupy-wall-street-movement/

This wide use of anti terrorism legislation with out proper safeguards to protect abuse and only convict terrorist actively plotting sets a dangerous precedent.

Scroll to see replies

I think therapy or something to help him see the stupidity would be much more helpful than just locking him up for a bit.
This is disgusting. For ****'s sake, if I want to upload propaganda all over the place, that's my right. Don't like it? Don't look at it. Just because someone "might" be influenced doesn't mean you should have to stay silent. This is a clear example of anti-terrorism laws being used in a Big Brother manner to restrict free speech.
You can't post any video or anything that may be seen as "glorifying terrorism" (which can be translated to terrorism involving Muslims only). There's quite a few Islamic forums that are forced to comply with this. You're only allowed to "discuss it". :frown:

Anyways, hope the brother gets through his ordeal in jail.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Perseveranze
You can't post any video or anything that may be seen as "glorifying terrorism" (which can be translated to terrorism involving Muslims only). There's quite a few Islamic forums that are forced to comply with this. You're only allowed to "discuss it". :frown:

Oh what a shame you and your "Brothers" aren't allowed to plot and plan terrorist attacks online are we supposed to feel sorry for you?
Original post by Shabalala
Oh what a shame you and your "Brothers" aren't allowed to plot and plan terrorist attacks online are we supposed to feel sorry for you?

Sorry, but who mentioned plotting anything?

I don't know if you read the article, but let me help you out with this one;

"He had no links whatsoever to any terrorist organisations, was not a radical convert and there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest he engaged in any attack planning."

And all Muslims are brothers and sisters, both the "bad" and the "good". Here's what we mean by it;

“It is said, brothers in faith are closer than blood brothers as blood brothers may fall out over differences in faith whereas brothers in faith are not affected by differences in lineage.” - Al-Qurtubi
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Perseveranze

Was he a Muslim or not? The article is quite unclear by saying he wasn't a ''radical convert'' but that could mean he was not a convert at all OR he was a 'moderate' convert..?
Reply 7
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
This is disgusting. For ****'s sake, if I want to upload propaganda all over the place, that's my right. Don't like it? Don't look at it. Just because someone "might" be influenced doesn't mean you should have to stay silent. This is a clear example of anti-terrorism laws being used in a Big Brother manner to restrict free speech.

Welcome to the 'new liberal' Britain.
It's good that Muslims are now taking this issue seriously and campaigning for free speech. Hopefully when you get cases of people posting videos online that are offensive to Islam, Muslims will stand up for their rights to free speech and expression and not try and lock everyone up like the Western police state do.
Reply 9
Original post by MagicNMedicine
It's good that Muslims are now taking this issue seriously and campaigning for free speech. Hopefully when you get cases of people posting videos online that are offensive to Islam, Muslims will stand up for their rights to free speech and expression and not try and lock everyone up like the Western police state do.

hay r u being sarcastik or sumthin?
Reply 10
Another slap in the face for the government's complete misunderstanding of the internet. As if linking to anything is an endorsement of it! What the hell? Free him immediately.
Reply 11
Good, one less terriost behind bars. There's some things that you should be outraged to be locked up for but this stuff? Hell no.
Reply 12
Original post by FSP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21090488

So this guy is not a terrorist not part of any terrorist groups. but he posted material which said soldiers (not everyone as the bbc claims) from the west are crusaders.

whilst i dont agree with that view, should it be a crime to post such material ? isnt that what news organisations basically do when they play videos of Al Qaeda goons telling muslims to kill infidels ( http://www.cnn.co.uk/2012/10/27/world/asia/al-qaeda-kidnap-threat/index.html ) Is uploading propaganda a crime ? what defines propaganda, would posting Saddam Hussain properganda in 2003 be a crime ? . Slee was posting the material on his troll account, seems abit orwellian to me.

Is this a clear example of terrorism legislation being used to curtail freedom of speech. Tomorrow they may start coming after conspiracy theorist. Just as in America where the Joint Terrorism Task Force designed to control Al Qaeda ended being used against the Occupy Wall Street movement

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/08/federal-reserve-fbi-spied-on-occupy-wall-street-movement/

This wide use of anti terrorism legislation with out proper safeguards to protect abuse and only convict terrorist actively plotting sets a dangerous precedent.

Looks more like he was helping spread and putting links to al Qaeda propaganda, thats slightly more than just posting his views surely?
Reply 13
Original post by Michaelj
Good, one less terriost behind bars. There's some things that you should be outraged to be locked up for but this stuff? Hell no.

Reply 14
Just looked at the bbc link, he was jailed for more than "freedom of speech". Keep note, HE PLEADED GUILTY, pleading guilty is pretty much owning up to your crimes. And he pleaded guilty to 4 crimes in the "terriost act". I'm glad you find him innocent because if he thought he was innocent the he'd plead not guilty.

- Posting videos of people being beheaded. (honestly, wtf?)
- possesion of prohibited weapons.
- Trying to motivate terriosm.

Yes, he needs proffesional help but I for one don't give a rats arse if he rots away in jail.
Wouldn't sending him to prison reaffirm his beliefs? Pretty stupid on the government's part imo.
Just looked at the bbc link, he was jailed for more than "freedom of speech". Keep note, HE PLEADED GUILTY, pleading guilty is pretty much owning up to your crimes. And he pleaded guilty to 4 crimes in the "terriost act". I'm glad you find him innocent because if he thought he was innocent the he'd plead not guilty.

- Posting videos of people being beheaded. (honestly, wtf?)
- possesion of prohibited weapons.
- Trying to motivate terriosm.

Yes, he needs proffesional help but I for one don't give a rats arse if he rots away in jail.

How do you know he wasn't coerced to plead guilty? It's pretty likely that he was offered a shorter sentence for doing so.
Reply 17
Original post by Ayesha1234
How do you know he wasn't coerced to plead guilty? It's pretty likely that he was offered a shorter sentence for doing so.

If he was truly innocent then any half-decent lawyer would have got him free.
Reply 18
Will freedom of speech be forever bashed? He merely stated his opinion. It's not like he encouraged his 'brothers' to take up arms and fight. It's so stupid. Besides, Bush referred to the wars as 'Crusades' many times, and is not 'you're either with us or with the terrorists' extreme emotional propaganda? This legislation is really getting out of hand now.
If he was truly innocent then any half-decent lawyer would have got him free.

Just read the article, he needs serious professional help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending