The Student Room Group

MSc Real Estate or MSc Construction Project Management?!

Hey all,

I'm currently faced with a dilemma! I got accepted to study at Heriot-Watt university a MSc in Construction Project Management and at the University of Glasgow a MSc Real Estate.

The reason I picked them is because im interested in both fields. However, I am not sure now what field to pick!

What are the benefits of both? Does one hold better career prospects?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Am going to do my MSc in construction management at university of salford,i have 7 years experience in the construction field & i think that a degree in CM is what the industry needs right now & you will have many options of work related subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by edward80
Am going to do my MSc in construction management at university of salford,i have 7 years experience in the construction field & i think that a degree in CM is what the industry needs right now & you will have many options of work related subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have actually thought a lot about applying to Salford and Reading to study Construction Management or Construction Project Management. However, it would mean that I would need to get a Career Development Loan of a high amount to be able to afford the tuition and living expenses. It could pay off in the end as both universities have an excellent reputation and are the best in the field after Loughborough, but still is a risk.

What made you choose Salford? You say you have 7 years experience, where at? I can't seem to be able to gain any work experience in the field at all, which is a bit frustrating!
Reply 3
Original post by llb_ant
I have actually thought a lot about applying to Salford and Reading to study Construction Management or Construction Project Management. However, it would mean that I would need to get a Career Development Loan of a high amount to be able to afford the tuition and living expenses. It could pay off in the end as both universities have an excellent reputation and are the best in the field after Loughborough, but still is a risk.

What made you choose Salford? You say you have 7 years experience, where at? I can't seem to be able to gain any work experience in the field at all, which is a bit frustrating!

To be honest I chose salford because of not only a word of mouth by my manager, but also because it will be much cheaper than other uni's as am self-funding myself.

I think that a good experience is more important than good marks in this field, personally I had really low marks in my undergraduate study nevertheless I got accepted from all universities I applied for (Loughborough, birmingham,manchester etc...) because of my work portfolio. Regarding my experience I currently work as a project engineer in a construction company in the Middle East & during my past 3 years I have been responsible for project management duties & liaison between project's parties including Consultant-Construction Manager-Contractor interrelations & I also have a strong technical background of co-ordination with electro-mechanical works, so I think that a master degree in CM can push me to the next level.

My personal advise about this is If you are a fresh graduate I suggest that you gain some work experience ( 2-5 years ), before applying to a master in CM , because if you take a master degree right after your undergraduate one , the potential employers will still regard you as a fresh graduate who still need to learn & will pay you less . Also try to work with a small firm rather than a large one if you want to gain more experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by edward80
To be honest I chose salford because of not only a word of mouth by my manager, but also because it will be much cheaper than other uni's as am self-funding myself.

I think that a good experience is more important than good marks in this field, personally I had really low marks in my undergraduate study nevertheless I got accepted from all universities I applied for (Loughborough, birmingham,manchester etc...) because of my work portfolio. Regarding my experience I currently work as a project engineer in a construction company in the Middle East & during my past 3 years I have been responsible for project management duties & liaison between project's parties including Consultant-Construction Manager-Contractor interrelations & I also have a strong technical background of co-ordination with electro-mechanical works, so I think that a master degree in CM can push me to the next level.

My personal advise about this is If you are a fresh graduate I suggest that you gain some work experience ( 2-5 years ), before applying to a master in CM , because if you take a master degree right after your undergraduate one , the potential employers will still regard you as a fresh graduate who still need to learn & will pay you less . Also try to work with a small firm rather than a large one if you want to gain more experience.

Very well done :smile: Where abouts in the middle east? I'm half Lebanese and lived in Lebanon for 12 years and speak the language! You seem to have done very well for yourself, good on you.

I know what you're saying but I'm finding it very difficult to get any job at the moment even a cleaning one! Which is why I decided to study a masters for it to open more doors! The fact that I studied law at university seems to be putting construction firms off me because they would rather have someone with a construction related degree, hence going to university again. I'll have a think over and I'll see whether to apply to Salford or Reading university and see if I get it. Thanks for the advice!
I was just searching the site on this subject and came across this thread and was wondering whether you have made a decision? I am looking at what to do after my under graduate degree and I wish to go into property but I cannot decide between a Real Estate MS (there is also a Real Estate Development MS in the US) or a Construction Management MS. I am unsure of which is best as on the NYU site for example they list the career opportunities as pretty similar if not the same which I think is incorrect.

Could someone shed some light on the subject so I can become better informed? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending