The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mucgoo
International?
You need to show you've got the money to pay for living costs and tuition fees for the three year period of the degree.

UK applicants have government loans so its not needed.

Do you know how they want me to do that? And when the deadline would be? I still haven't received the official letter, so that may have more details.

Also, we're supposed to wait to reply until we've heard back from all the unis we've applied to, right?
Reply 5561
Original post by DanishPastry
Do you know how they want me to do that? And when the deadline would be? I still haven't received the official letter, so that may have more details.

Also, we're supposed to wait to reply until we've heard back from all the unis we've applied to, right?
The financial conditions of your offer will be specified in your decision letter, and will need to be met by August.

Cambridge likes you to write to them to let them know whether you intend to accept the offer; you do not have to do this on UCAS - indeed, you can't - until all your other decisions are in. As it's what's on Track that counts, if you decided later that you wanted to firm another choice rather than Cambridge (it occasionally happens :smile:) you would be able to do this without any difficulty. Out of courtesy you would need to write to Cambridge to say that you were, after all, declining their offer, but they can't hold you to an acceptance. And, of course, before firming Cambridge it makes sense to be clear that you are going to be able to fulfil the financial conditions.

If you still haven't received a hard copy of your decision letter by Monday I'd contact them and ask for an email version.
I just got an offer for medicine via ucas track!! I'm so happy now.
Original post by Minerva
The financial conditions of your offer will be specified in your decision letter, and will need to be met by August.

Cambridge likes you to write to them to let them know whether you intend to accept the offer; you do not have to do this on UCAS - indeed, you can't - until all your other decisions are in. As it's what's on Track that counts, if you decided later that you wanted to firm another choice rather than Cambridge (it occasionally happens :smile:) you would be able to do this without any difficulty. Out of courtesy you would need to write to Cambridge to say that you were, after all, declining their offer, but they can't hold you to an acceptance. And, of course, before firming Cambridge it makes sense to be clear that you are going to be able to fulfil the financial conditions.

If you still haven't received a hard copy of your decision letter by Monday I'd contact them and ask for an email version.

Okay, thank you so much. :smile: I'll keep an eye out for the letter.

If I'm not yet 100% sure I will be able to meet the offer condition, should I still write to them at this time if I accept? Or would it be fine to wait to hear from the other unis and then make my final decision?
Reply 5564
Original post by kamijyo touma

Congrats! Which college or open offer?

Oooh Congrats :biggrin:. Did you have a reinterview or was it a direct offer?
I don't know which college. I haven't receive letter from cambridge itself, just via ucas track. No, i don't have a reinterview because i'm from malaysia.
Reply 5567
what is your bmat if you dont mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
5, 6.2, 4.5. section 3 save my butt, i guess.
Reply 5569
Thanks! do those still swimming don't give up, especially medics!!
Reply 5571
We will find out soon I hope

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know which college. I haven't receive letter from cambridge itself, just via ucas track. No, i don't have a reinterview because i'm from malaysia.

Congrats! On UCAS track there should be a campus code under Cambridge which will be a letter or a number. Use this table to find out which college it is.
Original post by Minerva
x

Just checked my post and I have a letter from Fitzwilliam - offer for MML in 2014, A*AA with an A* in German!

Thanks Minerva for all your help, very much appreciated :smile:

Congrats :biggrin: Let us know what college when you do find out! :wink:
Kind of annoying knowing that our post has arrived, with a potential Cambridge letter inside, yet my dad has mistakenly taken the postbox key with him to work ... :rolleyes:
Original post by The Polymath
Just checked my post and I have a letter from Fitzwilliam - offer for MML in 2014, A*AA with an A* in German!

Thanks Minerva for all your help, very much appreciated :smile:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :woo::woo: I knew you'd get an offer in the end! :biggrin:

Is there a campus code under Cambridge on UCAS track?
Reply 5578
just got drowned this morning by robinson :frown: well done to all the rest of you who got in- you have no idea how much i would appreciate deferred entry :L

in all honesty I'm quite sick of the process now- thank god its over!

I'm gonna go to Leeds, become really successful, and then in one of my many high-profile interviews, casually slate cambridge for putting me through such a damaging and soul-destroying process :wink:

wish me luck :smile:
Original post by iamsherlocked
Argh, that really sucks. That's an awful way for her to react and to spoil such a fantastic moment for you. Hopefully she will come round to it in time. How did your other family members react?

You will have a great time on your gap year, and then a great 3 years at Cambridge :smile:

Are you going to go to the offer-holder open day at Churchill on the 22nd Feb? :smile:

My sister (who also went to Cambridge) and my stepdad were quite happy :smile: I am definitely thinking more positively now, been applying to winter resort jobs and things abroad to keep me busy whilst everyone else goes to uni this October.

Yes, I am - see you there I guess? :smile: Also sorry for not answering this earlier, but my offer was A* in English Lit and AA in Psychology and French.

Original post by nearlymaddad
Sorry to come to the debate late.

Might I suggest that you speak to the UCAS (or Oxbridge) Co-ordinator at your school, and ask them to call the admissions tutor. That way it can be kept on a semi informal basis, and there is no possible loss of face on either side. Someone from your school is also likely to get a more frank answer from the College than if you do it yourself. Similarly, if they can do it by phone, there's nothing on paper so no downside. If the College says yes, it can then be put on paper.

In the back of my mind I seem to recall that some colleges can make deferred offers if they think that the candidate might benefit in increased maturity from a year out. A call to the College would at least establish if this influenced the deferral.

Also, as others have pointed out, some places may come up after the exam results come out. Have a look at the offer and acceptances stats on the Cambridge admissions stats website. It might still happen.

And I'm sure your mother will come round!

This seems like a really good idea, thank you. Although to be honest I don't know why everyone seems to be so worried about 'saving face' - even my Oxbridge mentor said she had a 'bad feeling' about me contacting the College - I mean, surely if it is phrased very carefully no harm at all would be done by asking? Especially since I met the Admissions Officer and he was the loveliest man in the world, I know he would handle it calmly provided my e-mail is very carefully worded.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I really appreciate everyone stepping in to offer their opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending