The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shortclaw
Potentially yeh. I get to be a poor student for longer thn everyone else...unless they're doing a PhD. Well gotta love Cambridge so can never have too much =)

I'm thinking of maybe going into Psychiatry or maybe oncology (cancer). Bit different I know. I love having variety in a course means you don't have to decide exactly what you want to do for a while. hmmm... doing Social psychology means you might get to do some quirky experiments lol

Ah I have to climb eight flights of stairs to my lessons normally at least twice a day. That's what you get for doing sciences unfortunately at my college. One day I'll run up them without getting breathless!!! XD

I just realised I completely ignored your question about Magdalene. XD Sorry, I'm a bit absent-minded at times. But no actually, I was fished from Magdalene so I couldn't really tell you whether it's nice from first-hand experience. But the pictures are pretty and it sounds very sweet. :smile: Clare was actually my joint second choice of college with Emmanuel. I've never actually visited it though. I assume it's lovely?

Aha yeah well if we have to spend £9000 a year for university, where better to spend it than at Cambridge? :biggrin:
Ooohhh that sounds interesting! I'm really looking forward to the experiments actually, it is what I want to do for a career - become a research psychologist.

Your college has eight floors?? :eek: Wow... the main building of my school only has the ground floor. I can't say I envy you!

Also, this may sound quite creepy/stalkerish but I just noticed your location, Devon? Woo! Devonian buddies!! *high fives* :h: What part of Devon do you live in?
Original post by chocoholic_x
I just realised I completely ignored your question about Magdalene. XD Sorry, I'm a bit absent-minded at times. But no actually, I was fished from Magdalene so I couldn't really tell you whether it's nice from first-hand experience. But the pictures are pretty and it sounds very sweet. :smile: Clare was actually my joint second choice of college with Emmanuel. I've never actually visited it though. I assume it's lovely?

You're quite right: Magdalene is quite lovely. We had a formal swap with them last year that was very nice and enjoyable. In my opinion/according to my experience, their food is good (not so with every college), so you should be pleased about that!
Original post by _Georgie
Can I just express how weird it is to see people of TSR in real life (if fb counts as real life...)

:ninja: I'm easy to find...
Original post by Oromis263

3333rd post, I noticed. WOO!!! :biggrin:

EDIT: This is what I'm reduced to at half two in the morning, I notice how many posts other users have made and find the number 3333 vaguely amusing. :P
(edited 11 years ago)
3333rd post, I noticed. WOO!!! :biggrin:

:lol: I had noticed it was coming up. :ahee:
Original post by Viceroy
You're quite right: Magdalene is quite lovely. We had a formal swap with them last year that was very nice and enjoyable. In my opinion/according to my experience, their food is good (not so with every college), so you should be pleased about that!

Oh really? Well that's nice to hear!! :smile: Food is very important, I have quite a large appetite you see, so it's pleasing to know the food is of good quality.
:lol: I had noticed it was coming up. :ahee:

Aha, and I just made my 444th post! Not quite as impressive as 3333 but pleasing to the eye nonetheless. :tongue:
Oh really? Well that's nice to hear!! :smile: Food is very important, I have quite a large appetite you see, so it's pleasing to know the food is of good quality.

Yes! Sorry I didn't save the menu, but I do recall the food being very good. One big difference between Magdalene formal and John's was that at Magdalene they put the vegetables out on the tables in big platters so you can take as much as you want, while in John's (and other colleges, too) the waiters give you a certain amount and that's all you can have. So, if you're quite hungry, have the veg pots out would be a good thing, I'd imagine!
Hi guys! just got an offer from magdalene, so I'm coming over here from the pool thread. I was wondering if anyone could help me with something, though- my letter said the offer was for A*AA in biology chemistry and further maths. Does the further maths bit mean it could be in either of the maths / further maths results, or is this a sneaky way of effectively making it a four grade offer? (As to get an A in further I am pretty sure you need to get at least that in maths). If I can't work it out, I'll email them, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!:biggrin:
Reply 1369
Original post by bellatrixb
Hi guys! just got an offer from magdalene, so I'm coming over here from the pool thread. I was wondering if anyone could help me with something, though- my letter said the offer was for A*AA in biology chemistry and further maths. Does the further maths bit mean it could be in either of the maths / further maths results, or is this a sneaky way of effectively making it a four grade offer? (As to get an A in further I am pretty sure you need to get at least that in maths). If I can't work it out, I'll email them, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!:biggrin:

Ah, well, from what I've seen, they have a tendency to treat Further Mathematics and Mathematics as separate subjects. I mean, if not, then they could've simply added optional, further papers to the existing Math subject, rather than have a new Further subject with a separate A-level code.

So, if your conditions don't mention Mathematics, then, I reckon that you could probably even flunk Math for all its worth, provided, naturally that you get an A in Further Math, and still meet your offer.

So, no. Just a 3 grade offer.

Just to re-iterate, this is my opinion, and I would strongly advise you to email those chaps anyway. Wouldn't want to take a risk with that valuable-ass offer now, would you? :P
Original post by MW24595
Ah, well, from what I've seen, they have a tendency to treat Further Mathematics and Mathematics as separate subjects. I mean, if not, then they could've simply added optional, further papers to the existing Math subject, rather than have a new Further subject with a separate A-level code.

So, if your conditions don't mention Mathematics, then, I reckon that you could probably even flunk Math for all its worth, provided, naturally that you get an A in Further Math, and still meet your offer.

So, no. Just a 3 grade offer.

Just to re-iterate, this is my opinion, and I would strongly advise you to email those chaps anyway. Wouldn't want to take a risk with that valuable-ass offer now, would you? :P

Ah, thanks :smile: I just hadn't realised that you could do better in Further maths than regular maths (which was why I thought it was effectively 4 subjects)- but I will email and check after it comes through on UCAS.
I just received my official letter from Magdalene and the offer was worse than I imagined: A*A*A plus an A in AS Further Maths. :unimpressed:
Ah well, I better get my revision on!
Original post by Viceroy
Yes! Sorry I didn't save the menu, but I do recall the food being very good. One big difference between Magdalene formal and John's was that at Magdalene they put the vegetables out on the tables in big platters so you can take as much as you want, while in John's (and other colleges, too) the waiters give you a certain amount and that's all you can have. So, if you're quite hungry, have the veg pots out would be a good thing, I'd imagine!

Ah that sounds great! Unlimited vegetables! :tongue: Though, I think there may be a social limit as to how many you can take before people start to judge.
Did you ever go to one of Magdalene's super halls?

Aha yeah well if we have to spend £9000 a year for university, where better to spend it than at Cambridge? :biggrin:
Ooohhh that sounds interesting! I'm really looking forward to the experiments actually, it is what I want to do for a career - become a research psychologist.

Your college has eight floors?? :eek: Wow... the main building of my school only has the ground floor. I can't say I envy you!

Also, this may sound quite creepy/stalkerish but I just noticed your location, Devon? Woo! Devonian buddies!! *high fives* :h: What part of Devon do you live in?

Ah well I'm sure it is very pretty since all Cambridge is very pretty anyway. I was tempted by Emmanuel as well actually. Yeh Clare is very small in size as in the actually college is a single quad and then the accomodation blocks are seperate but yeh it has a bridge over the river which looks very pretty.

Yes you can be one of the people like in the Milgram experiment ordering your participants to do crazy stuff =P

It has has a block called The Tower which has 9 floors. Maths is on 9th and Physics and Chemistry is on 8th. Since I only do physics and Chemistry now I'm always on 8th. Yeh it is a bit of a change from my previous school which had a second floor in only some buildings =D

Woo!! Devonian buddies!! :cool: I'm from East Devon. What area are you from it you don't mind me asking?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1374
Original post by bellatrixb
Ah, thanks :smile: I just hadn't realised that you could do better in Further maths than regular maths (which was why I thought it was effectively 4 subjects)- but I will email and check after it comes through on UCAS.

Sure you can. :P
Like, par example, the STEP I's a lot easier than the STEP II.
I managed a 1 on the STEP I and an S on the II. :P
Reply 1375
Original post by ThatFrog
I don't even want to join the group because it's a freshers page and I still need the grades :biggrin:

You don't have to join it to stalk... :wink:

Original post by bananarama2
I can't identify you....are you definitely female?

I'm a master of disguise

:ninja: I'm easy to find...

You were the first that I spotted when browsing through!
The ninja face is quite ironic, you're anything but :tongue:
Original post by _Georgie
You don't have to join it to stalk... :wink:

I'm a master of disguise

You were the first that I spotted when browsing through!
The ninja face is quite ironic, you're anything but :tongue:

:lol: I know. :colone: I shall have to make more effort next time to protect my identity... :tongue:
Reply 1377
I just received my official letter from Magdalene and the offer was worse than I imagined: A*A*A plus an A in AS Further Maths. :unimpressed:

I have the same offer! A* Maths, A* Physics, A French and A in AS Further Maths for Engineering at Jesus college. Where's your offer from and for which college?

I sincerely hope the A in AS Further Maths has no bearing on the course content - or I am screwed!

Thats a tough offer, but as Tali Sharot says, Being Optimistic increases the chances that the positive outcome will occur - or words to that effect :wink:
Original post by Yashmeee
I have the same offer! A* Maths, A* Physics, A French and A in AS Further Maths for Engineering at Jesus college. Where's your offer from and for which college?

Oh really? Well I'm glad I'm not the only one and that they didn't target me personally. :tongue: How are you feeling about getting the grades?
Ah, mine is for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Magdalene college. Thankfully, they didn't specify though. So I need only get two A*s out of Maths, Psychology, and Religious Studies. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending