The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
Victor Valdes isn't renewing his contract that expires in 2014. Hope they don't come swooping in for De Gea. Likely they may go for ter stegan i guess

Lol, straight swap for de gea. :lol:
Fabian barthez no 2.
Reply 681
Original post by Tommyjw
David johnson (@KingJonno12) seems to have knowledge into someone we will be signing.

- Championship player - "Not zaha but a player coming from championship"
- Plays all blue - "Nope but the team play in blue,all am sayin"

Not exactly a massive thing to get excited about, given it is a championship player, but still!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-give-jeff-schlupp-trial-but-lose-darren-fletcher-8456579.html

Name: Jeff Schlupp

Championship player?: Yes, Leicester City

Plays all blue?: Yes,

64-unitedgivesschlupp-gt.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
With reference to Jeffrey Schlupp. We are supposedly giving him a trial according to the independent. He is quite a versatile player, he is predominantly a forward but has played as a left midfielder and left back for Leicester. Imo he has a lot of potential, still remember his first season under Sven Goran Eriksson where he has showed some promise and scored a decent amount of goals. He has not played a lot recently due to better forwards at Leicester, I.e. Chris Wood and Nugent. I think he has the pace and strength and is young enough to convert him into a certain position but would have to improve defensively if converted to a left back.
Not sure if he is someone that we need but could be a good player in the future and if he could score like his agent Tony Yeobah, that be brilliant. I think we could get him for cheap as we have good links with Leicester as they have five of our ex/current players from Da Laet, Matty James, Danny Drinkwater, Michael Keane and Jesse Lingard.
Reply 683
'Jonny Evans out of MUFC's game at THFC with a hamstring strain. Ashley Young, Nemanja Vidic and Wayne Rooney all fit to play'

Team i expect/hope to see:

DDG/Rafael-Vidic-Rio-Evra/Carrick-Cleverley/Kagawa-Young-Rooney/RVP
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 684
Wouldn't mind seeing Valencia on the right, our best winger in terms f helping out defensively which will be needed.

Team last time v spurs across the midfield was Giggs - Scholes - Carrick - Nani , with Kagawa and RvP, can't take much to improve on that lol
I think we might see Smalling in the backline, after last time we got caught at the back with pace. I can't see Vidic getting dropped, but last time it was clear they had planned to pull Evans out of position and then exposed Ferdinand's lack of pace. Constantly reminded by rockrunride's sig. I would think SAF will want someone with pace in the pairing.
Anyone..ever imagine what it would have been like if we had a Berbatov-Van Persie strike partnership :moon:
Reply 687
Original post by doggyfizzel
I think we might see Smalling in the backline, after last time we got caught at the back with pace. I can't see Vidic getting dropped, but last time it was clear they had planned to pull Evans out of position and then exposed Ferdinand's lack of pace. Constantly reminded by rockrunride's sig. I would think SAF will want someone with pace in the pairing.

Give Bale 30 yards of space to run at you and you'll struggle, doesn't matter who the CBs are. Whenever I watch that sig I notice Scholes out of the game just ambling back, and Carrick being out of the entire shot. Cleverley will help so much with that, he's mobile and his defensive work rate is really impressive.

And I think Carrick plays a more restrained role when he's with Cleverley. With Scholes in the side there can be a lot of (physical) distance between midfield and attack so sometimes Carrick pushes forward into that gap, leaving space behind him. Cleverley's a lot less static than Scholes which leaves Carrick to do what he does best. Rooney, assuming he plays, is also far more of a defensive presence than Kagawa which will make the midfield look more solid.

We're away from home too, can't imagine we'll leave ourselves that open. I can see the benefits of Smalling and it's the type of move SAF likes to make, so it wouldn't be a massive surprise, but for me I don't think it's worth breaking the Rio-Vidic partnership up.
Reply 688
I think jones should get a chance to play, he really good in the mid week and has impressed me more than smalling recently, sad to hear about Fletcher hope he gets better but it seems like he will play much anymore but health comes first, will be interesting to see lineup tommorow.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 689
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2013/Jan/manchester-united-announces-new-partnership-with-kansai-paint-of-japan.aspx

Manchester United has announced a three-year sponsorship with Japanese paint manufacturer Kansai, who will be the club’s first official paint partner.

Because every club needs an official paint partner

Well that's more sponsorship money in the bank. :rolleyes:
Anyone have any ideas of the number of sponsor you have now? Would love to know how much you bank from all the deals too - I can't imagine an official paint sponsor pays a lot of money but better some than none.
Original post by Zerforax
Anyone have any ideas of the number of sponsor you have now? Would love to know how much you bank from all the deals too - I can't imagine an official paint sponsor pays a lot of money but better some than none.

On the Manchester United website, under sponsors, it says we have 32 sponsors but I have no idea how much money we receive from them. I like how we have more than one sponsor in the same sort of area, I.e. 3 drink sponsors, one juice drinks, one alcohol and one beer sponsor.
Prediction for tomorrow's line up?

I'm hoping either Rio or Vidic is on the bench simply because Tottenham outright pace would destroy them. If Evans wasnt injured i would have put him in, but i think smalling would be a good choice. Not sure if i would start with Valencia, i understand he's good defensively compared to our other wingers but he's just been so poor lately. Young on the right with Rooney on the left wouldn't be too bad with Hernandez and RVP up front.
Hopefully
De Gea
Rafael-Jones-Vidic-Evra
Carrick-Scholes
Valencia-Rooney-Young
---------RVP--------
I think I would like to see the following team assuming everyone is fully fit
De Gea
Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Nani Rooney Young
RVP
Subs: Lindergaard, Jones, Buttner, Valencia, Anderson, Scholes/ Giggs, Hernandez.
I think it is important we have players that will run back and forth especially when Spurs counter and that why I think Rooney and Cleverley are important. I think we need to close down Tottenham as fast as possible and try to restrict them having much space as QPR did the other weak. Players like Jones/ Scholes could be important if we are holding a lead.
Original post by samiz20891
I think I would like to see the following team assuming everyone is fully fit
De Gea
Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Nani Rooney Young
RVP
Subs: Lindergaard, Jones, Buttner, Valencia, Anderson, Scholes/ Giggs, Hernandez.
I think it is important we have players that will run back and forth especially when Spurs counter and that why I think Rooney and Cleverley are important. I think we need to close down Tottenham as fast as possible and try to restrict them having much space as QPR did the other weak. Players like Jones/ Scholes could be important if we are holding a lead.

Hmm Rooney has jst return from an injury, that my concern. Wouldn't surprise me to see me a three man midfield with Valencia and Young on the wings.

Original post by cheetahs56
Hopefully
De Gea
Rafael-Jones-Vidic-Evra
Carrick-Scholes
Valencia-Rooney-Young
---------RVP--------

Not sure if we should start with scholes, especially with his lack of mobility.
Reply 699
Henriquez just scored on his PL debut, only came on a few minutes ago too :smile:

Easy but calmly taken header.

Latest