The Student Room Group

Oyster cards + 16-25 Railcards... Confused!

Ok. So I've just bought a 16 to 25 Railcard. Browsing around the site, I've found this...

Oyster (Transport for London) - Get your Railcard discount loaded on to your Oyster card to save 1/3 on the daily cap on pay as you go

Does this mean it's a 3rd off my daily cap? (Yes, I know that's what it says, but the oyster system confuses me!) Like.. for example, if I get on and off the buses however many times it takes to reach my cap (3?), that cap is then a third off on top of my normal oyster savings?

If so, how do I get the railcard and the oyster card joined?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a normal oyster card on pay as you go, not a student one.
Reply 1
Wow, never knew about that...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/singlefares/6769.aspx
Wonder if they do it for 16+ Oysters too :p: I doubt a "rail" card will work for buses though...
Reply 2
Thank you. <3
Reply 3
So, according to that site, it doesn't apply to al oyster journeys, just train/tube journeys?
Reply 4
Just tube journeys, and probably some train journeys, not sure. Does make sense though, seeing as how you're putting a railcard onto it :p:
Yeah I discovered this a few months ago, just go to a tube ticket office with your oyster and your railcard, fill out a form, and the man will 'upgrade' your oyster card, so to speak. I know that whereas tube travel in zones 1-3 (where I live) would normally cost £5.60 or something, I always cap at £3.50, and maybe something like £2 for the bus only. So well worth it.
Reply 6
Zygroth
Just tube journeys, and probably some train journeys, not sure. Does make sense though, seeing as how you're putting a railcard onto it :p:

Yeah, I got that. xD But it didn't specify whether it was rail/tube journeys on oyster or not, so I was checking! :tongue:
oo im gona have to try this tomorrow as im spending soooooo much traveling to placement but i thought i could either use my 16-25 rail card OR my 18+ oyster. had no idea i could combine them. Wish someone had told me back in september 2010 lol xx
Yeah, all you need to do is have your oyster card registered (if you ordered it online it's already done) and if not it's just a short form to do and then go to the office at any tube station and they just add on your rail card. It's super great!
Reply 9
Original post by Spotty Dog
Ok. So I've just bought a 16 to 25 Railcard. Browsing around the site, I've found this...

Does this mean it's a 3rd off my daily cap? (Yes, I know that's what it says, but the oyster system confuses me!) Like.. for example, if I get on and off the buses however many times it takes to reach my cap (3?), that cap is then a third off on top of my normal oyster savings?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a normal oyster card on pay as you go, not a student one.

See below for how to get your railcard onto your oyster card. The discount you get is 1/3'd off travel costs on the Tube, London Overground and National Rail services within London at off peak times. Off peak times are from 9:30am-4pm, and then after 7pm.
Reply 10
Is this different than purchasing the 18+ Student Oyster Card? I have the student oyster card, but not a student rail card. Is it worth getting both?
how do i use an oyster card that you top up? do i just go to the gates and touch in or do i have to buy a ticket for my journey as well?
Original post by Princess_perfect786
how do i use an oyster card that you top up? do i just go to the gates and touch in or do i have to buy a ticket for my journey as well?

you put money on at a ticket machine, then you touch in and out at the barriers (or if there arent barriers look out for the reader- the top is yellow)
Original post by Spotty Dog

Yes.

Take your oyster and railcard to a London underground ticket office and ask them to link them.

It is a great discount if you travel a lot in London off peak
(edited 12 years ago)
I need to renew my railcard, do I need to register it with my oystercard again?
Original post by Peace_please
I need to renew my railcard, do I need to register it with my oystercard again?

yes

Quick Reply

Latest