The Student Room Group

Would you date someone with teeth like this...?

Ok so little backstory... I have dated girls in the past but to be totally honest they have usually just been the whole "i'm insecure, your insecure lets get together" mindset. I did have a 3 year relationship with a girl I loved and she loved me so i'm a decent bloke in a relationship. That long term girl put up with me when I was drinking 8+ cans of coke a day for around a year (6 years ago now!) and this is what caused all the damage.

Nowadays (and for the past year) my oral hygiene has been excellent despite the gradual decline in teeth quality. I have cut out fizzy drinks altogether and brush at least 3 times a day. I also have a nice personality as well and have had healthy relationships in the past.

Now I find it very hard approaching girls and opening up due to my teeth.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
link not working... :/
Reply 3
honestly dont let something like this bother you, if you met a girl who had like i dunno a wonky nose (i have a slightly wonky nose i get self conscious) would it bother you?

my boyfriend has gap teeth but i love them they're quirky! they make him look amazing haha, so dont worry about little things like that if someone cares about you they'll like it about you!
Reply 4
I would consider cosmetic dentistry. It's expensive, but I know I would feel a lot better personally if I got my teeth improved. Once they're damaged, restoring them through hygeine is usually impractical. If they really do make you insecure, it is something to be considered.
Reply 5
Original post by luuucyx
honestly dont let something like this bother you, if you met a girl who had like i dunno a wonky nose (i have a slightly wonky nose i get self conscious) would it bother you?

my boyfriend has gap teeth but i love them they're quirky! they make him look amazing haha, so dont worry about little things like that if someone cares about you they'll like it about you!

I look at my teeth sometimes and think they could be a hell of a lot worse...

the only problem is, it makes me look a bit goofy. Especially when I should be dating older girls now I just feel a bit like a **** up because I don't have nice teeth/can't smile and be happy. I have some good qualities as a bloke but I just fear that the second they see my teeth it is going to put them off
everyone has different teeth

my boyfriend has the 'perfect' smile and by that i mean the tom cruise Hollywood smile (his canines are completely flat so all the teeth look the same)

my teeth are the opposite i have very pointy canines and each section look different
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I look at my teeth sometimes and think they could be a hell of a lot worse...

the only problem is, it makes me look a bit goofy. Especially when I should be dating older girls now I just feel a bit like a **** up because I don't have nice teeth/can't smile and be happy. I have some good qualities as a bloke but I just fear that the second they see my teeth it is going to put them off

weeelll when i first met my boyfriend and he opened his mouth i was a bit shocked because everything else he looks like a model i swear, but like genuinely i dont think you think that.

like, you have to remember how other people feel too so if you met someone that you liked loads but had a mole or something (just like anything that could be seen as an 'imperfection' - i have a little mole under my eye i used to hate it until i realised no one notices it) you wouldnt care
and in the same way they wont care about teeth. if you meet a girl and she really is that shallow shes not worth it anyway cos as much of a nice person as she may seem if she cant accept you because of that one little thing she cant truly be such a nice person! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by luuucyx
weeelll when i first met my boyfriend and he opened his mouth i was a bit shocked because everything else he looks like a model i swear, but like genuinely i dont think you think that.

like, you have to remember how other people feel too so if you met someone that you liked loads but had a mole or something (just like anything that could be seen as an 'imperfection' - i have a little mole under my eye i used to hate it until i realised no one notices it) you wouldnt care
and in the same way they wont care about teeth. if you meet a girl and she really is that shallow shes not worth it anyway cos as much of a nice person as she may seem if she cant accept you because of that one little thing she cant truly be such a nice person! :smile:

yea, I don't think i'm a bad looking bloke apart from teeth and it does hold me back, but you are right and I think in the past girls have probably noticed but have still liked me.

I just try and hide it because it dents your confidence. Might benefit from cosmetics or something like that, but yea what you say is true
Reply 9
your link doesn't work
Reply 10
Original post by Michaelj
your link doesn't work

yea well in all honesty I don't wish to know whether or not you'd date me :wink:
Reply 11
yea well in all honesty I don't wish to know whether or not you'd date me :wink:

Funny. I can still tell you the truth whether your teeth look so bad that a girl is likely to turn you down.
Reply 12
Original post by Michaelj
Funny. I can still tell you the truth whether your teeth look so bad that a girl is likely to turn you down.

I know! I was joking lol. I'll pm you if you want?
Reply 13
yea, I don't think i'm a bad looking bloke apart from teeth and it does hold me back, but you are right and I think in the past girls have probably noticed but have still liked me.

I just try and hide it because it dents your confidence. Might benefit from cosmetics or something like that, but yea what you say is true

honestly i suffer with the same thing when im nervous but once you over come it youll realise its no biggy. remember if you swapped places and met a girl with teeth like yours i bet youd just be like nah shes a nice girl i like her

promise you! youll accept it and start to like it im sure just need to break your thought pattern :smile:
Reply 14
I know! I was joking lol. I'll pm you if you want?

it's entirely upto you.
"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

That's what it says when I click on the link..

Anyway are your teeth very yellow/brown or something?
Reply 16
Original post by luuucyx
honestly i suffer with the same thing when im nervous but once you over come it youll realise its no biggy. remember if you swapped places and met a girl with teeth like yours i bet youd just be like nah shes a nice girl i like her

promise you! youll accept it and start to like it im sure just need to break your thought pattern :smile:

haha we need more girls like you in the world :biggrin:

Thank you though, i'm not some useless bloke with women but yea you make so much sense!
Although your link doesn't work I will assume that you're just talking about yellow ness? Caused by the coke and inadequate brushing? In all honesty I do not think teeth are a massive factor if they are yellow or goofy.. But I do think they are if you are missing some or you have decay. I personally drink a lot of coke myself but I use a really good toothpaste so my teeth remain white haha :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I suffer from buxism, so my teeth are grinded a bit. But it doesn't stop me pulling on nights out..
Reply 19
haha we need more girls like you in the world :biggrin:

Thank you though, i'm not some useless bloke with women but yea you make so much sense!

loool there are plenty you'll find one. plus it could be worse there are some awful specimens around :P

good luck :smile: hope i helped haha x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending