The Student Room Group

Arsey's S1 Edexcel Answers 18th Jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by gooner4ever
Quick question guys do you think I'll lose marks for the probability distribution for B (question 6a) if I wrote the x values of 1 and 3 and 5 separately e.g X 1 1 3 3 5 5 and then the probability of each 1/6 as opposed to what's done in the model answers (joining them all together) ???
cos they way I did it isn't wrong just not well done!

i did the exact same thing lol ! not sure if we'll get any to be honest :/ :L
I HATE the histogram question, 5.a)!! it annoys me -_-
plus 5.e) didnt make sense of how to do it, i just got 0, because i took away the probabilities, si hould get 1/4 marks for 5.e)+f). I said that its skewed so normal distribution shouldnt work.

6.f) BADLY worded, i made a mess of my tree diagram, i hope it makes sense LOL, but i think i wrote the Probablity of her winning but i didnt write like the way the model answer showed. I've never seen a question like this.

All in all, C1 C2 and S1 have surprised me, like the trickiness of certain questions in C1 and S1 but also the easiness (if thats not a word, dont bite) of C2.
Original post by MathMad

I'd be very surprised if we don't get at least 1! It was out of 2 marks...... Oh I'd be so gutted if I lost 2 marks just for that!! :frown: Oh well let's live in hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 243
Original post by newcastle123
(1+k)+(8+k)+(27+k)
-------------------------- =1

(36+3k) -1
------------- =0

36=1-3k

-12=1-k
k=1+12
k=13

Would I get any marks for this?

How did you even get through C1 with such a flawed understanding and use of algebra. I don't want to sound like a dick but you need to seriously step up; that's a year 8 understanding at the very best.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 244
Hi Arsey, would you be uploading the answers to S2 by any chance?
Original post by Arsey
nah your method is wrong, so no method mark and no accuracy mark.

How many Marks do you believe i can get for just calculating p>133 correctly? I missed out the whole given that :frown: thank you so much for the help
Can people stop talking about S2 in an S1 thread? Lol
Reply 247
Original post by wtrmln1245
How many Marks do you believe i can get for just calculating p>133 correctly? I missed out the whole given that :frown: thank you so much for the help

I would guess 2.. Seriously, sometimes these "haha - caught you out" questions are cleverly designed and you can only put your mistake down to your own carelessness or failure to think, rather than an unfair, ambiguous question. But this question was plain retarded - its like after the 127 hours, the phone transformed or something or she changes phones without telling the smart ass people behind this paper.
Reply 249
For 4c, the horribly worded question, I correctly worked out P(127<L<133). I realise now this was completely wrong thing to do, do you think any marks though?
Original post by Arsey
:smile:

I know for absolute certainty that I am right as a) I have taught this for over 15 years and b) I have the actual mark scheme.

P(AnB) only equals P(A) x P(B) when they are independent.

You serious? Hahahah full marks then xdxdxd thanks man!!
Reply 251
Hi Arsey....Thnks for the Marking scheme!
I had a question regarding the Venn diagram!
When drawing the Venn diagram, I wrote 0.32 in the B cirlce instead of 0.23 which also affected the P(AUBUC)^l to be wrong...so out of four how many marks will i lose? one or two?
From wht i think, i could be one as 1 mark would be for drawing the diagram correctly, 1 mark for the cirlce of A, 1 mark for the circle of B and the last mark for the circle of B and outside!

Pls give ur opinion! thnks
Reply 252
Original post by MathMad

I think we should get it tbh i means its the same thing so ya know, i hope we do :frown:(
Reply 253
Hey there...could u help me out wid this :

I had a question regarding the Venn diagram!
When drawing the Venn diagram, I wrote 0.32 in the B cirlce instead of 0.23 which also affected the P(AUBUC)^l to be wrong...so out of four how many marks will i lose? one or two?
From wht i think, i could be one as 1 mark would be for drawing the diagram correctly, 1 mark for the cirlce of A, 1 mark for the circle of B and the last mark for the circle of B and outside!

Pls give ur opinion! thnks
Reply 254
Original post by Humzah96
Ok sorry for being annoying... I got my b value right but switched the bar m and bar t wrong to find a so my end formula was wrong.. Hence the next part being wrong because i used a wrong formula to work out the answer how many marks? Out of 5 in total

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

2/5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 255
Original post by Humzah96
And for getting the width right but the height wrong in historgram how many marks?

1/3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256
Original post by rockthatlook18
Hi Arsey. I worked out the normal distribution in a slightly different way. wondering if you could spare a few minutes to see whether i approached it the correct way.
1) the question says that given its been 127 hours since she last charged the phone. that means we are given that her phone is still alive at 127 hours. we worked out the probability in a) of the phone lasting more then 127 hours so i did 1-0.0359 to get 0.9641 which is the probability that it lasted up to 127 hours.
2)then they want to know the probability of the phone lasting 6 more hours so until 133 hours long. i then found the probablility P(127<L>133) which is the probability it lasted the next 6 hours. i then divided this probability by the conditional probability which we are given that it lasted until 127 hours which is 1-0.0359. to get my answer.
thanks for the mark scheme, much appreciated.

1/4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 257
Original post by mynameistessa
Heyyy for part 4c, i did P(L>133) = 0.0139 but then didn't do the " given that " probability part, how many marks would i get out of 4?

Please read the thread. 2 marks. NOT 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by EL77
btw for f i think i wrote 100 x 0.4038 which gives you 40 people which is what is predicted in the table, rather then just writing 40/100 = 0.4038. thats technically saying the same thing right?

Yes but only 1 mark because you haven't said norm dist isn't suitable since data is skewed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 259
Original post by totw
Hi arsey

Sorry if you have already answered this, but will you be doing a similar mark scheme for C3?

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending