The Student Room Group

Arsey's S1 Edexcel Answers 18th Jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by ADayah96
Would I get a mark for writing 'a discrete random variable' for when they ask 'State the name of this probability distribution.'?

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 261
Original post by Chris-69
Hi Arsey,

Quick question with regards to 4c:

I did P(L>133 | L>127) = P(127< L < 133) / P(L>127)

And then inserted the values. How many marks would this gain me? 1?

Thanks!

Yes 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 262
Original post by pilotluke1
Also for 3d i said 'this is reliable because 10 degrees is inside the data range of 8-30 degrees' would i get the mark?

Yep that is what is in the proper MS, sort of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 263
Original post by pilotluke1
For question 6f I multiplied 0.5 by each probability of her winning and added it all together and got seven twelths! I also said which die to pick but not the probability of winning for each die! how many marks?

If you very clearly stated which dice to choose for each number the coin lands on you get 2, which is rather generous I thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 264
Original post by Vorsah
Say if in a question I get part A wrong which is worth 2 marks

Then in part B I use the answer I get in part A to get answer, which is worth 2 marks.

Will I only lose 2 marks for part A, so I would get 2/4 in total?

Depends on the MS normally you would just get the next method but not the final accuracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 265
Original post by Yohann
Hi Arsey....Thnks for the Marking scheme!
I had a question regarding the Venn diagram!
When drawing the Venn diagram, I wrote 0.32 in the B cirlce instead of 0.23 which also affected the P(AUBUC)^l to be wrong...so out of four how many marks will i lose? one or two?
From wht i think, i could be one as 1 mark would be for drawing the diagram correctly, 1 mark for the cirlce of A, 1 mark for the circle of B and the last mark for the circle of B and outside!

Pls give ur opinion! thnks

You will get 2/4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 266
Original post by gooner4ever
Quick question guys do you think I'll lose marks for the probability distribution for B (question 6a) if I wrote the x values of 1 and 3 and 5 separately e.g X 1 1 3 3 5 5 and then the probability of each 1/6 as opposed to what's done in the model answers (joining them all together) ???
cos they way I did it isn't wrong just not well done!

That is wrong so you will get no marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Original post by Arsey
You will get 2/4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi arsey

For the dice question I got 5/12 but I didn't draw a tree diagram at all, but I more or less wrote everything else that is on your mark scheme. Will I gt all 4 marks, or only 2?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 268
Original post by wtrmln1245
How many Marks do you believe i can get for just calculating p>133 correctly? I missed out the whole given that :frown: thank you so much for the help

This one has probably been answered 10 times now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 269

Very similar question.

Would be the same if the question said. What is the prob the phone ran out during the journey. We had to work out that it lasted the journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 270
Original post by totw
Hi arsey

For the dice question I got 5/12 but I didn't draw a tree diagram at all, but I more or less wrote everything else that is on your mark scheme. Will I gt all 4 marks, or only 2?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You didn't need the tree. I wouldn't have bothered. However the MS is very clear you must clearly show which dice to use for each value the coin lands on. So as long as that was obvious 4/4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
Original post by Arsey
You didn't need the tree. I wouldn't have bothered. However the MS is very clear you must clearly show which dice to use for each value the coin lands on. So as long as that was obvious 4/4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also didn't use a tree diagram, but I also thought the coin probability was superfluous because she could win either way, thus I thought Arisha winning or not was entirely dependant on choosing the correct dice, which they assumed you would figure. So my calculation basically was the probability of her winning (excluding the coin probability of * by 0.5) divided by all the possibilities ( her winning and losing) but because I excluded coin probability, I wasn't dividing by one, and I got 5/12 for my answer - surely that can't be a coincidence?
Reply 272
Hi everyone,
If take look at S1 June 2010 paper, it more straightforward than this and the grade boundaries were 55 for an A
S1 June 2010 link: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/june2010-qp/6683_01_que_20100527.pdf
Grade boundary link: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1006%20GCE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries%20(Home%20and%20Int).pdf
And thank you Arsey for uploading the MS.
Original post by Arsey
That is wrong so you will get no marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not even 1/2? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 274
Original post by Arsey
Very similar question.

Would be the same if the question said. What is the prob the phone ran out during the journey. We had to work out that it lasted the journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, god dammnit. I think it was pretty out of order to give such an awkward question which carried 4 marks.
6F) is horrifically worded - why didn't they say find the probability that avisha wins when she picks the best die rather than just saying the probability that she wins making it ambiguous.

I know they said she picks the best one before, but the question just says the probability that she wins
Reply 276
Original post by JASONDILL
6F) is horrifically worded - why didn't they say find the probability that avisha wins when she picks the best die rather than just saying the probability that she wins making it ambiguous.

I know they said she picks the best one before, but the question just says the probability that she wins

The question clearly states 'Avisha chooses the die which gives her the best chance of winning each time Tom spins the coin'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 277
Original post by geor
Yes, true, but it doesn't clearly state that THAT is the probability you should be calculating. It says calculate the probably that she wins. Unclear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did her winning mean to you, then?
Reply 278
Original post by Padouken
What did her winning mean to you, then?

The important bit is that she 'chooses the die', meaning that she chooses one die...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 279
Original post by ljh950912
The important bit is that she 'chooses the die', meaning that she chooses one die...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh ik, I got this question right - I don't understand everyone's problem with the wording.. There only dumb question in the entire paper was that damn distribution question on the phone that transforms after 127 hours.

Quick Reply