The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry CH2HP Paper (Unit 2) January 2013

Hi, Anyone sitting the Chemistry Unit 2 Higher paper in January this year? Any suggestions on what I should concentrate on? Any help would be gratefully received.:smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mechanism
mass spec
Reply 2
Why is this thread so dry!? Is there only 3 people taking this exam or something?

We should post/ask questions on here.

Discussion is a good way of revision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Il start. Explain the whole process of extracting Titanium (IV) oxide and why it's done that way. Include equations and conditions. (7marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by BorisP
Il start. Explain the whole process of extracting Titanium (IV) oxide and why it's done that way. Include equations and conditions. (7marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile

WTF, i'm taking this exam and i don't have a clue what you're on about, i'm sure the highest mark question is a 6 marker.. + We haven't learn't extraction of titanium oxide, only aluminium by electrolysis, perhaps they are similar i don't know. If i'm wrong please correct me and explain to me how titanium oxide is extracted? I'm guessing its by electrolysis as it's fairly high in the reactivity series?
Reply 5
Alright so i'm taking this exam and what i need some additional notes on is chromatography and gas chromatography as our teacher didn't really teach us this, she does gave us a sheet with information which may not be enough. If anyone could give me some key points i need to know about them i would be grateful and also some information about a Mass spectrometer.

Oh yeah one more thing, we did a paper and there was a question stating what are the advantages of using gas chromatography over normal paper chromatography , i didn't really know so i put down less human error? Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by abccba120
WTF, i'm taking this exam and i don't have a clue what you're on about, i'm sure the highest mark question is a 6 marker.. + We haven't learn't extraction of titanium oxide, only aluminium by electrolysis, perhaps they are similar i don't know. If i'm wrong please correct me and explain to me how titanium oxide is extracted? I'm guessing its by electrolysis as it's fairly high in the reactivity series?

Woops my mistake, sorry to frighten you! :P I thought this was an A level thread. Good luck with your exam anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by BorisP

Woops my mistake, sorry to frighten you! :P I thought this was an A level thread. Good luck with your exam anyway.

Not to worry. Thanks for at least replying!
Reply 8
Original post by BorisP

Thew! Thanks for saying and good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Many thanks. Are you doing the exam next week? If you are good luck.
Reply 10
Original post by chatty
Many thanks. Are you doing the exam next week? If you are good luck.

Yup on thursday, are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yes this thursday and not looking forward to it. Any areas you think very strongly will come up?? Doing moles/mass etc
Reply 12
I'm terrible at guessing but i guess there will few questions on chromatography as that came up alot last summer, and i got a feeling the 6 marker will either be electrolysis of bauxite or sodium chloride/brine. Moles/mass i think is mass given in question divided by mass of element?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm terrible at guessing but i guess there will few questions on chromatography as that came up alot last summer, and i got a feeling the 6 marker will either be electrolysis of bauxite or sodium chloride/brine. Moles/mass i think is mass given in question divided by mass of element?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I was thinking of going over chromatography as well. Mass prob given in the question. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good Luck on Thursday. let it snow... :smile:
Reply 14
Haha thanks, good luck too! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm doing this exam!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
well i too am sitting the ch2hp chemsitry component aqa tommorow and my teacher (one of the best in north west london) has told us where the questions most likely will pop out on. hopes this helps

seeing as our year are being taught a new cyllabus, most of the questions will be on new topics such as new materials(nanoparticles, shape memory alloys, fullerenes etc) polymers-weak and strong forces of attraction along with high density and low density polymers, extraction of aluminium oxide al203(chemical equation) ,electroplating, and last but not least chemical analysis and instrumental methods. i would focus on these topics as examiners are usually ITCHING to ask these questions to students sitting the new cyllabus(or so thats what my teacher says anyway).

anyway good luck to all the candidates
Reply 17
Original post by mandandafufu
well i too am sitting the ch2hp chemsitry component aqa tommorow and my teacher (one of the best in north west london) has told us where the questions most likely will pop out on. hopes this helps

seeing as our year are being taught a new cyllabus, most of the questions will be on new topics such as new materials(nanoparticles, shape memory alloys, fullerenes etc) polymers-weak and strong forces of attraction along with high density and low density polymers, extraction of aluminium oxide al203(chemical equation) ,electroplating, and last but not least chemical analysis and instrumental methods. i would focus on these topics as examiners are usually ITCHING to ask these questions to students sitting the new cyllabus(or so thats what my teacher says anyway).

anyway good luck to all the candidates

Can you elaborate on what you mean by electroplating? Like some examples? We havn't done much on that, same goes for low density and high density polymers, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Can you elaborate on what you mean by electroplating? Like some examples? We havn't done much on that, same goes for low density and high density polymers, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOz0i9YfC7w&feature=youtu.be electroplating at 6:45

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending