The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Films of all time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by AmeliaRose
TBH i thought the Avengers was great, so gonna have to disagree with you there :/

Okay It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a great piece of cinematic art either. To me it's just another big budget overhyped Hollywood movie.
Reply 141
Original post by EffieFlowers
Is Requiem for a Dream really that overrated then? I was planning on watching it..

Its the most terrible movie I have ever seen. If the goal of the director was to make you feel drugged yourself then they succeeded. Also the mother just plain annoys me. She looks more like a grandmother than a mother. Its all about drugs.
Reply 142
American Beauty.

No. I just don't get the hype. It just dragged on and on and on and seemed too convoluted to get any real message across.
Original post by Nicsi
The hunger games-- worst film ever made

I wouldn't say it's the worst film ever made, cos trust me there are worst! But I do agree however, the hunger games is extremely overrated! extremely.
Am I really seeing this,
LOTR? Fight Club??? The Dark Knight?..

there is not enough negs in the world to give out :facepalm2:

I guess you're are entitled to your wrong opinion
Original post by TM94
Lord of the Rings

Definately agree with that...
Original post by Thugnificent.
Am I really seeing this,
LOTR? Fight Club??? The Dark Knight?..

there is not enough negs in the world to give out :facepalm2:

I guess you're are entitled to your wrong opinion

It's important to remember that something can be great and overrated. I love American Beauty and I think it's great but as someone above suggests, it probably is overrated.
Alien. Just a lot of laughably big armaments and dishwater dialogue.
Pulp Fiction. Such a boring film.

And Inglorious Basterds. (Won't be watching another Tarantino film.)

Oh and Fight Club. Twist was stupid and the ending is what happens when writers write themselves into a corner.

Also, having seen the Tree of Life (possibly the worst film I've ever seen) I don't get why self-professed film buffs like Terrence Malick so much.

Some people here don't understand what 'overrated' means. Things like Twilight are not overrated because the vast majority of people can see that they're vacuous teen flicks - the box office just comes from girls who think the two guys are hot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Valdo
The Expendables (anything over 2.0 IMDB rating is too high for this piece), great cast but Sylvester Stallone pretty much ruins it with his horrible acting and directing. aand the Avengers is pretty overrated also.

The Expendables is not supposed to be a cinematic classic. It's an incredibly self-aware satire of 80s action flicks. I mean, when the sequel has characters quoting their catchphrases from other films, along with a Chuck Norris joke, that's pretty clear.

It's kind of the action equivalent of Scream - self-aware satire of slashers combined with genuinely scary bits; like Expendables is a self-aware satire of action combined with great action pieces (like all the Jet Li bits).
Original post by paddyman4
Some people here don't understand what 'overrated' means. Things like Twilight are not overrated because the vast majority of people can see that they're vacuous teen flicks - the box office just comes from girls who think the two guys are hot.

An overrated film is one that you feel is over-appreciated by people. That's all. However many people may see that Twilight is rubbish there will always be hordes of screaming girls to rival them; and however much you may dispute the foundations of their opinions, largely aesthetic, they are still entitled to appreciate films on any grounds they wish.
Original post by Tuerin
An overrated film is one that you feel is over-appreciated by people. That's all. However many people may see that Twilight is rubbish there will always be hordes of screaming girls to rival them; and however much you may dispute the foundations of their opinions, largely aesthetic, they are still entitled to appreciate films on any grounds they wish.

When people say overrated they're normally concerned with critics and imdb rating therefore u can't really say twilight. Every film has people that like it but this thread is about films that are rated well by most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mister Cery
When people say overrated they're normally concerned with critics and imdb rating therefore u can't really say twilight. Every film has people that like it but this thread is about films that are rated well by most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Internal contradiction
Reply 153
Avatar. Found it very boring. Silly film about sillt blue people.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Avatar, the same generic plot but with blue people.

+1. Agreed.
I didn't find Bridesmaids to be that great. Shockingly lots of the films I've seen on this thread I have not actually seen in real life.
Original post by Tuerin
Internal contradiction

What I mean is that those IMDB ratings are rated by people, which means that its an average of film goers opinions. Twilight is around 4-5/10 so its not rated at all.
Original post by Mister Cery
What I mean is that those IMDB ratings are rated by people, which means that its an average of film goers opinions. Twilight is around 4-5/10 so its not rated at all.

1. 4-5/10 can still be an overrating.
2. There are other ways of rating a film than IMDB, which is likely to attract real film buffs who base their criticism not on Pattinson's cheek bones, - as some do, and as I've already outlined are entitled to - so it's not really an appropriate place to estimate how twilight is rated by everyone, as many of the people who rate it probably don't go there.
Valentines Day
I wanted to walk out of the cinema was an absolute joke and to make matters worse it actually had a good cast but the film was terrible.
Original post by The Socktor
Has anyone ever seen The Last Samurai?, because part of me thinks the plot in Avatar seemed dangerously similar to it... except that the Last Samurai was interesting.

More similar to Dances With Wolves has as been said.

I really never got the hype surrounding Avatar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending