The Student Room Group

Is obesity a choice or an addiction?

Is obesity a choice or an addiction? Please give your opinions and explain please. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I don't think its that simple. It could be both, or a combination of other factors for some. For many people its probably ignorance and confusion. Whats healthy and unhealthy changes every other day. Low fat often means high sugar and so much of our food is packed with chemicals that our bodies don't know what they're doing. There are also genetic factors. (factors, not causes) the women in my family tend to gain weight more than the men, and my partner eats a lot more than me but never gains, whereas I struggle with my weight. It can also be down to the way people eat. My partner tends to have snacks rather than meals and only really eats proper meals if I cook them or out...
Reply 2
It's a pathology for some, biological for others, and some have claimed the result of inequality.

Having said that, you're far more likely to find an accurate answer using this website than asking on here.
Reply 3
In some sense I have no doubt that it counts as an addiction. If you are obese and you start to diet you will experience a plethora of negative affects that will encourage you not to bother. In particular, suddenly dropping your diet to that of someone of an average weight can be potentially dangerous. As a result every time you move away from eating the necessary amount to maintain your weight, your body will conspire against you to push you back into eating how much you're used to, which I always think of as one of the effects that characterises an addiction.

There also are other factors at play that can cause obese people to struggle to change their lifestyle, but I'm not too well up on official definitions of addiction.
Reply 4
Or is this just a false dichotomy?
Reply 5
The thread title smacks of ignorance. It's far more complex than that. Some medication causes weight gain, some cause issues with appetite, etc.
Original post by OU Student
The thread title smacks of ignorance. It's far more complex than that. Some medication causes weight gain, some cause issues with appetite, etc.

Calm down son
Reply 7
I'd say obsesity is something that can be controlled, yes medical issues such as an over active thyroid can influence weight gain, however you don't suddenly become obese. There is a difference between being over weight and actual obesity. I'm sure in some cases people can't help significant weight gain, however people know that if you eat in healthy food and do not burn the extra calories you take in, it will turn to fat. People that smoke, drink and do drugs are aware it's unhealthy, Surely eating tonnes of high Calorie foods is just as bad?
Original post by Architecture-er
Calm down son

But OU Student is perfectly right, it's smacking of ignorance that implies the OP has not done his/her research into the topic - I for one know many who have gained weight as a result of medication, and been told "Stop eating more" when it has nothing to do with that.
Original post by FPRider
But OU Student is perfectly right, it's smacking of ignorance that implies the OP has not done his/her research into the topic - I for one know many who have gained weight as a result of medication, and been told "Stop eating more" when it has nothing to do with that.

No need to dive in at the deep end with the phrase "smacking of ignorance" though - especially since mods are supposed to make the forums a pleasant place, and the OP may genuinely not know too much about the topic, hence posting here.
100% a choice. It's not hard to put the knife and fork down and do a couple hours a week on a bike or a rowing machine.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
100% a choice. It's not hard to put the knife and fork down and do a couple hours a week on a bike or a rowing machine.

Can you tell that to people with thyroid / mobility problems which make exercising difficult?
Original post by OU Student
Can you tell that to people with thyroid / mobility problems which make exercising difficult?

Perhaps they should eat less then... you know, have a little self-control?
Reply 13
Obesity isn't a choice, but of course it is a result of choices. The factors that influence us to make the choices we make, however, are usually more substantial than we tend to give credit for. It is well-known that 95% of diets fail (this, at least, is the figure apparently used by health professionals), and this should make us think carefully about how in control we really are. It is apparantly very difficult to lose weight and keep it off - it is not enough that we ask people to try harder, when will power itself is known to be a finite resource.
Could be both...environmental and biological factors combined. Most obese people aren't actually happy. I used to be obese..I'm still overweight and hate myself for all my choices and have to literally restrict the food I eat and I feel SO guilty when I have a bad day (Like today).
Reply 15
Original post by pblankson92
Is obesity a choice or an addiction? Please give your opinions and explain please. Thanks

Why don't you start us off?
Original post by miser
Obesity isn't a choice, but of course it is a result of choices. The factors that influence us to make the choices we make, however, are usually more substantial than we tend to give credit for. It is well-known that 95% of diets fail (this, at least, is the figure apparently used by health professionals), and this should make us think carefully about how in control we really are. It is apparantly very difficult to lose weight and keep it off - it is not enough that we ask people to try harder, when will power itself is known to be a finite resource.

I would say that if you follow a certain course of conduct fully aware of the result, even if the result is not your desire or 'purpose' you have still chosen the result. It's called oblique intent.
Reply 17
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I would say that if you follow a certain course of conduct fully aware of the result, even if the result is not your desire or 'purpose' you have still chosen the result. It's called oblique intent.

They are not fully aware of the result, though. When considering to eat a burger, the person knows that whether or not they eat the burger or not will have no bearing on whether they will become obese. The problem is that of lifestyle, which is by no means a matter of simple choice.
Original post by miser
They are not fully aware of the result, though. When considering to eat a burger, the person knows that whether or not they eat the burger or not will have no bearing on whether they will become obese. The problem is that of lifestyle, which is by no means a matter of simple choice.

I've got to disagree. I find it hard to believe that people don't know how calories work these days. Equally, how much you eat relative to your level of activity doesn't seem to me to be beyond 'choice' in terms of lifestyle. Even if you have very little money, and as a student of course I am familiar with this, you can still eat quite healthily if you're prepared to try.
Reply 19
I think certain people store fat a lot more than others so for some its easy to get fat. However I also know of parents that think ther children are not eating enough and so they put pressure on their children to finish everything given to you. If you force yourself then over time your stomach will expand, which means you will need to eat more food in order to feel full. More food = more fat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending