The Student Room Group

Would it bother you if a potential guy you may be seeing still lives at home

I'm talking to this guy .... seems like a nice guy ...into the same music as I which is important.

He's very handsome .... don't really get why he's taken an interest in me but anyway we've been talking and then he dropped something that really bothers me and I don't know why....

He said he still lives with his family, he's 22...... thing is I'm very very independent , have no family really, I don't rely on anyone and would like someone similar.

I think it says a lot about the person if they still live at home

I'm trying not to be picky as I know I can and trying to go along with it.

But would it be something that bothers you.

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate from this but I think it's just human nature that we need to accept but ..

I think I'm only making an effort because he is fit and if he wasn't that good looking I wouldn't have bothered is that wrong too?

Keep in mind I havent ever been in a long term relationship should I still get to know him?

EDIT: I just like to say that after reading the posts in this thread I still stand by what I say ......Yes, it's tough times but nothing would ever make me think of moving back home because I like my independence and I like like fending for myself and having no-one to rely on.

No I'm not from a rich family or have a rich daddy as some people have implied.

I'm from a single parent family who has never had any financial help from my parents or anyone to rely on. (boo hoo)

I realise now that I would probably want someone with a similar life style, maybe because I'll relate to them more.

But you can't claim you have as much independence and still live at home because you are still depending on your parents !
There's nothing wrong with that ...yes it may be a clever thing to do but don't claim you have as much independence

NEG AWAY !!! haha
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What does it say about people that still live at home? Who's to say he isn't saving up to move out? If he's parents don't mind him living there until he picks himself up I don't see an issue. Living expenses are a lot these days I would rather stay where I'm at until I am able to live without wondering where im going to get money for a bill. You know? It doesn't mean he depends on his parents or he's a mummy's boy. It happens, if you like him go for it. Obviously if he doesn't seem to fussed if he's living at home still when he's 30+, relies on his parents, has no ambition etc then I'd say that's more understandable. Get to know him a little better, just because he lives at home now doesn't mean he isn't on the same page as you. It could be a lot worst, he could be potentially the right guy for you.
Wow, if something as trivial as that bothers you, then he's certainly better of without you.
I don't see the problem tbh.
Especially now when it can be incredibly difficult for even graduates to get jobs at all, let alone jobs that pay enough for them to be able to move out properly.
Original post by tweety_2479

You do realise we've been through a double dip recession, right? He's 22, not his mid 30's. Its very expensive to move out - i'm not much younger than him and if i wasn't at university there is no way i'd have been able to afford to do it! I'm willing to bet the number of people that age who live at home isn't much different than those who don't.

The only reason you should be worried is if he's still in his mums basement, unemployed and playing computer games.
edit: why would i you neg me for giving you a fact about my life
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I wouldn't mind AS LONG AS it's not a long term thing. For example, I think a lot of people (the majority, even), move back in with their parents temporarialy after uni, because very few people find a graduate job straight away and can't afford to live on their own. so if he's 22, that seems normal. However I'd expect them not to live their for long.. 2 years, tops. If he hasn't been to uni and has been their since leaving school... that's a little different, and yeah, it might bother me.

What does it say about them?
Reply 8
Original post by sr90
You do realise we've been through a double dip recession, right? He's 22, not his mid 30's. Its very expensive to move out - i'm not much younger than him and if i wasn't at university there is no way i'd have been able to afford to do it! I'm willing to bet the number of people that age who live at home isn't much different than those who don't.

The only reason you should be worried is if he's still in his mums basement, unemployed and playing computer games.

Yeah I'm aware of that but your saying that to someone who moved out when they were 18 and has never looked back, I'm 24 now. But I see your point. I'm aware I stress over the smallest things
Reply 9
Original post by rattusratus
yes

my boyfriend is 28 and we have been together 6 years and have a child together yet he still wont move out of his mothers house, trust me men that live with there parents in there 20s have emotional attachment issues that dont change, my partner is a lovely guy and great father but completely emotionally backward with commitment and freakishly close to his family

red flags should fly (unless its just a temporary thing i.e... hes moved in with his parents due to moving area after uni while looking for a flat ect...)

see this is what I think may be the case ..... I wouldn't want to end up dating such a pathetic man...
see this is what I think may be the case ..... I wouldn't want to end up dating such a pathetic man...

Did your mum die of cancer of something?

Does it say that they are economically aware ?

I think I'm only making an effort because he is fit and if he wasn't that good looking I wouldn't have bothered is that wrong too?

I think this says more about you than living at home says about him tbh
Reply 12
Wouldn't bother me at all. In fact it might even be a plus, oh hi parents cooking.
Reply 13
Original post by Height_maTTERS
Did your mum die of cancer of something?

I've said something not to you liking and your wishing cancer on my mum.

Wow.
22 isn't really that old to be living at home at all. My cousin just moved out of her home to get her first flat with her boyfriend at 27, after looking/ saving for a year or two, and I've never thought it strange.
It's if they were hitting 30+ with no plan to move out that it would start putting me off.
Reply 15
Original post by TenOfThem

I think this says more about you than living at home says about him tbh

Oh I'm fully aware I'm not perfect I don't try and hide that at all. I'm just being very honest in my OP.

I think in general people may give things a go with people they're more attracted too .... Is it wrong to feel this way because society tells us not to, calls us shallow for doing so. Or is it just human nature to do so?
(edited 11 years ago)
He lives at home, get the **** over it. If you really liked him, and wanted to take things further, you wouldn't care whether he was homeless.
Yeah I'm aware of that but your saying that to someone who moved out when they were 18 and has never looked back, I'm 24 now. But I see your point. I'm aware I stress over the smallest things

Yes, but the vast majority of males simply cannot afford to move out until they are at least in their mid-20s. Not including for university, obviously, but that's only temporary and not even classed as having properly moved out anyway.

You're being incredibly irrational.
Oh I'm fully aware I'm not perfect I don't try and hide that at all. I'm just being very honest in my OP.

I think in general people may give things a go with people their more attracted too

I just think that attraction goes beyond looks

Not so long ago it was expected that young people lived at home until they married

Then the advent of "sexual freedom" meant that the norm became to find one's own space

Then the rising prices in the housing market made it harder to get onto that ladder

So now many young people stay at home until they can afford a housing deposit

Or at least until they can afford somewhere "nice" to live

Or until they find someone they want to live with

Social norms change
Reply 19
Original post by Smack
Yes, but the vast majority of males simply cannot afford to move out until they are at least in their mid-20s. Not including for university, obviously, but that's only temporary and not even classed as having properly moved out anyway.

You're being incredibly irrational.

Why would it be any different from a male to move out in comparison to a female ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending