The Student Room Group

world class technically gifted black footballer

Scroll to see replies

An old one who springs to mind is Pele, but I think he's really overrated compared to some of the more recent players.
Reply 21
Got to be honest, players like Lukaku and Drogba have both got physical presence, but their technical ability is still not diminished - their heading and finishing was/is unbelievable, but there aren't many 'black' black players with fast footwork, as you see with the likes of Neymar, Mata, Hazard, Messi, Ronaldo, Ben Arfa etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Edgar Davids!
Jay Jay Okocha- arguably one of the most technically gifted players ever!
Reply 24
Pretty sure you're referring to current professionals? Don't know why everyone's quoting retired ones..

Ones for future definately:

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Yann M'vila, Wilfried Zaha

Current leading technical black players I would say were:

Willian, Dembele and Lucas Moura.
Reply 25
Original post by scotttb
Yaya Toure.

He was my first thought.
Reply 26
Chris Kamara
If you want some African Black people,
Samuel Eto'o
Emmanuel Adebayor
Thierry Henry
Reply 28
I think in general, many black footballers have the physical attributes other races don't have as much. When your physical is good enough, you can run and muscle past a player rather than "skill" your way past him, you tend not to be as good in the skill part if you've done it less often.

Players become technical when they have to adapt their game to stay in the team as their physical side isn't good enough. Then again, you can get some outstanding players who have it all, e.g Ronaldo (both of them)
Reply 29
DJ Campbell
Beckham.
Reply 31
So many 'black' players stated who are not black but mixed race :beard:
Reply 32
Edgar Davids, Seedorf, Kluivert, Elia, Nani, Eto'o...

...Pele.
Eto'o, Yaya Toure, Drogba, JJ Ockocha, Essien, Pele, seedorf, Thierry Henry, a little bit Odemwingie (West brom) maybe Balotelli.
(edited 11 years ago)
John Terry
Reply 35
Jay-Jay Okocha, so good they named him twice!
Victor Wanyama, Victor Wanyama!
Emile Heskey
Reply 38
Original post by Lax Wendroff
Emile Heskey

Do you actually still find that funny :sigh:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Drogba?

Single handily won Chelsea the champions league. With his notoriously infamous theatrics during the semi-final against Barca.

Remember?

Quick Reply

Latest