The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I felt Waltz was a step down from Inglorious Basterds, though that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't superb.
Reply 8141
Watched Beasts Of The Southern Wild last night. Really good.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I felt Waltz was a step down from Inglorious Basterds, though that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't superb.

Given that was one of the best characters and performance that I have ever seen, yes, it certainly doesn't mean he wasn't superb.

Saying that though, I am yet to watch Django.
Reply 8143
Original post by aja89

Loved this. :five:
Original post by aja89

Was the Oscar nomination for the little girl deserved?
Reply 8145
Original post by danny111
Was the Oscar nomination for the little girl deserved?

I was debating this with my friend. Personally I think not. She was great don't get me wrong, but spent a large portion of the film reacting to the adult cast around her (who were excellent, particularly her father). There was a lot of voice over action which I feel sort of tricks you in to regarding the performance as much deeper than it actually was (I'm thinking Forrest Gump, Shawshank, The Breakfast Club). She did a lot of staring in to the distance while her character's voice spoke over the scene, and I feel the script writing was the factor that was really brilliant rather than her acting.

But hey, what do I know? :colondollar:
Original post by aja89
I was debating this with my friend. Personally I think not. She was great don't get me wrong, but spent a large portion of the film reacting to the adult cast around her (who were excellent, particularly her father). There was a lot of voice over action which I feel sort of tricks you in to regarding the performance as much deeper than it actually was (I'm thinking Forrest Gump, Shawshank, The Breakfast Club). She did a lot of staring in to the distance while her character's voice spoke over the scene, and I feel the script writing was the factor that was really brilliant rather than her acting.

But hey, what do I know? :colondollar:

Yea I see what you mean. It's on my watching list nevertheless. Last exam on Thursday, got a lot of films that I wanna watch!
Django Unchained was immense. Loved it and I've seen it three times already.
The only good part about the movie Hit and Run is the "pounce" ****.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Still need to actually seeing Inglorious Basterds.
Watched a documentary called The House I live In on BBC iPlayer. In parts it was a fairly genetic doc on drug legislation, but plenty of great little insights I had never thought of before. David Simon's talking head bits were great, I really wish he'd write a book on his criticisms of drug law and the prison system.

Thoroughly recommended... Plus it's on iPlayer so there's no excuse.

Ordered Apocalypse Now (I know, it's terrible I haven't seen it), Sin Nombre and City of Men (I love City of God so much so about time I saw the sequel).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Svenjamin
Watched a documentary called The House I live In on BBC iPlayer. In parts it was a fairly genetic doc on drug legislation, but plenty of great little insights I had never thought of before. David Simon's talking head bits were great, I really wish he'd write a book on his criticisms of drug law and the prison system.

Thoroughly recommended... Plus it's on iPlayer so there's no excuse.

Ordered Apocalypse Now (I know, it's terrible I haven't seen it), Sin Number and City of Men (I love City of God so much so about time I saw the sequel).

City of Men isn't as great as City of God, so don't expect too much. It's still great imo, but given that it's similar and just not as good, I was a tad disappointed.
Original post by danny111
City of Men isn't as great as City of God, so don't expect too much. It's still great imo, but given that it's similar and just not as good, I was a tad disappointed.

Ah k. I saw it was above 7 on imdB so worth a shot. Was hoping it'd try something different, but will keep an open mind.

Sounds like a good enough way to put off revision for an hour.

Django ruled.
Ah k. I saw it was above 7 on imdB so worth a shot. Was hoping it'd try something different, but will keep an open mind.

No it's good what I meant was in the same way The Hangover 2 sucked because it was the same stuff, but less funny and not original anymore, this isn't as good as it would be if it weren't a sequel. And then the film itself just isn't quite as good.

It's definitely still worth a watch!
Original post by concubine
Sounds like a good enough way to put off revision for an hour.

Django ruled.

1hr45 :wink:
1hr45 :wink:

Hah, even better.

Now if only Richard Branson wasn't being so stingy with my broadband tonight.
Original post by Colonel.
Django Unchained was immense. Loved it and I've seen it three times already.

I saw this on Saturday and thought it was way too long as is pretty much all of Tarantino's work post 2000. The performances were great all across the board though, especially Leonardo DiCaprio and Christoph Waltz.
Reply 8158
I watched The Raid the other night, was great fun.

Also watched Lady Vengeance which is the first Korean film I've watched that I've been disappointed with!
Original post by Deshi
I watched The Raid the other night, was great fun.

Also watched Lady Vengeance which is the first Korean film I've watched that I've been disappointed with!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/

this one? i debated sometime ago whether to watch it decided against it. any films like it to give me an idea what its like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending