The Student Room Group

The hypocrisy of radical feminism

So after a nice visit to Waterstones in Central London, I got into an argument with a feminist. Rather, I was on the tube, and she sat down opposite me. She must have been a student (I guess, going by some books she had in her hands), and her appearance conformed to all the stereotypes that feminists have been known for: short hair, quite masculine build, you know the sort. I must admit, when I first saw her, I did laugh (not outwardly, I laughed inwardly and what appeared on my face was a smile). She looked at me and said 'typical male'. I asked her what she meant, and what ensued was a diatribe on her part that I'm sure she considered pretty solid.

Here are a few points that she tried to get away with:

-The world is dominated by misogynistic males. She even referenced the classic 'Why are rockets penis-shaped? Because male scientists want to assert their masculinity'.

Now, apart from the fact that vagina-shaped rockets aren't very aerodynamic, the annoyance here is just the fact that most males aren't misogynistic. In fact, she was incapable of accepting that you can be a male and feminist like I am.

-Women are treated as second class citizens by society

This made me laugh. Although females still have some way to go in achieving full equality, it is simply ridiculous to claim that women are second class citizens in this society. In the family courts, the woman is usually favoured, such as in case of child custody. Generally speaking, a woman is usually treated better than a male when the court comes to punish somebody for a crime.

-Most males are violent

She harboured the delusion that most males, at some stage in their relationships, will get violent. Of course, I asked her if she thought it ok for a man to hit a women (no) but gave an emphatic yes to 'Is it alright for women to hit men?'

- Men are unable to satisfy women sexually. Of course, she referenced the average penis size, and said that the majority of men just aren't up to it.

This just reeks of hypocrisy. God forbid a scientist who tries to make up a scale of 1-10 detailing vaginal elasticity; he would be condemned by almost every scientific organisation in the world, and everybody else on top, as being a sexist pig. Yet it's alright to make men feel this way.

So this is my diatribe against radical feminism. It seems that now, in order to achieve equality for women, it is another group that is being discriminated against: the male.

I wonder, has anybody ever met somebody like this in real life? By real life, I don't mean like on the train, but in more dangerous circumstances. Could you imagine working for one of these people?

And given the fact that women have achieved near full equality, do women have any need for these radicals?

Scroll to see replies

Since when were you a feminist, Cephalus?
Reply 2
There is no need to make up such a retarded story about penis shaped rockets.
Reply 3
Original post by Rgman27
There is no need to make up such a retarded story about penis shaped rockets.

I kid you not, that was an argument used against me

Original post by PythianLegume
Since when were you a feminist, Cephalus?

I've always been a feminist
Original post by Cephalus
I've always been a feminist

Fair enough. I know you like to make controversial threads, but to be honest, I don't think anyone disagrees with you in regards to this woman. They might accuse you of inventing this story to discredit feminism, or just claim that not all feminists are like this or true feminism is not about female supremacy.
Reply 5
Fair enough. I know you like to make controversial threads, but to be honest, I don't think anyone disagrees with you in regards to this woman. They might accuse you of inventing this story to discredit feminism, or just claim that not all feminists are like this or true feminism is not about female supremacy.

Well if I had made it up, it would have been alot more exciting. I just think that militant feminism is more common than people think
Reply 6
Radical feminism of this sort is as much enemy to feminism as is misogyny.
Reply 7

-The world is dominated by misogynistic males. She even referenced the classic 'Why are rockets penis-shaped? Because male scientists want to assert their masculinity'.

The rocket thing is just ridiculous and pure bs. However i would agree that there are probably more misogynistic males in the world than otherwise. Simply because of population sizes of places like india and africa etc where in some areas women arent treated aswell. If you are counting every male in the world, i think more would be misogynistic. In Britain alone, maybe not.

Not in Britain

-Most males are violent

bull****. We can all be violent in the right situation, but domestic violence is not 'most men'

- Men are unable to satisfy women sexually. Of course, she referenced the average penis size, and said that the majority of men just aren't up to it.

Rubbish. ive had penises from 3 inches to over 7 and they have all been able to be perfectly good at sex. This crap about penis size really needs to stop. Guys if any girl ever says crap to you about the size of your dick, she obviously isnt worth having sex with.

Sounds like this random you met is a bit of a bitch.
Reply 8
So after a nice visit to Waterstones in Central London, I got into an argument with a feminist. Rather, I was on the tube, and she sat down opposite me. She must have been a student (I guess, going by some books she had in her hands), and her appearance conformed to all the stereotypes that feminists have been known for: short hair, quite masculine build, you know the sort. I must admit, when I first saw her, I did laugh (not outwardly, I laughed inwardly and what appeared on my face was a smile). She looked at me and said 'typical male'. I asked her what she meant, and what ensued was a diatribe on her part that I'm sure she considered pretty solid.

Now, apart from the fact that vagina-shaped rockets aren't very aerodynamic, the annoyance here is just the fact that most males aren't misogynistic. In fact, she was incapable of accepting that you can be a male and feminist like I am.

This made me laugh. Although females still have some way to go in achieving full equality, it is simply ridiculous to claim that women are second class citizens in this society. In the family courts, the woman is usually favoured, such as in case of child custody. Generally speaking, a woman is usually treated better than a male when the court comes to punish somebody for a crime.

-Most males are violent

She harboured the delusion that most males, at some stage in their relationships, will get violent. Of course, I asked her if she thought it ok for a man to hit a women (no) but gave an emphatic yes to 'Is it alright for women to hit men?'

This just reeks of hypocrisy. God forbid a scientist who tries to make up a scale of 1-10 detailing vaginal elasticity; he would be condemned by almost every scientific organisation in the world, and everybody else on top, as being a sexist pig. Yet it's alright to make men feel this way.

So this is my diatribe against radical feminism. It seems that now, in order to achieve equality for women, it is another group that is being discriminated against: the male.

I wonder, has anybody ever met somebody like this in real life? By real life, I don't mean like on the train, but in more dangerous circumstances. Could you imagine working for one of these people?

And given the fact that women have achieved near full equality, do women have any need for these radicals?

Yeah. This never happened.
Reply 9
Original post by Xiomara
Yeah. This never happened.

I was wondering when you was going to comment on this thread. Its up to you what to believe I guess
I'm not a feminist, however, you can't ignore that men still do get the majority of "higher" careers and therefore higher pay than women.

This woman sounds like a freak going on about rockets shaped like a penis! Haha. However, there is nothing wrong with women wanting equality.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by miser
Radical feminism of this sort is as much enemy to feminism as is misogyny.

^^ THIS. A thousand times, this.
Original post by Aries1992
I'm not a feminist, however, you can't ignore that men still do get the majority of "higher" careers and therefore higher pay than women.

And yet, women under the age of 25 get payed more on average than men. Most people in high-paid careers were educated and brought up just as feminism was getting started, and we are currently seeing the benefits of feminism coming through.
Reply 13

No thats true, there is the pay difference and the careers that women are the minority in. Thats true. But surely there is enough being done so that you dont have to get all militant about it.

This woman sounds like a freak going on about rockets shaped like a penis! Haha. However, there is nothing wrong with women wanting equality.

I've seen the 'penis' argument referenced in blogs everywhere, its pretty common.

... How can you say that and say you're not a feminist?

Feminist = Women should have equal rights to men.

I don't quite understand how you can say there's nothing wrong with women wanting equality, then say you're not a feminist...
Reply 15
And yet, women under the age of 25 get payed more on average than men. Most people in high-paid careers were educated and brought up just as feminism was getting started, and we are currently seeing the benefits of feminism coming through.

Do you have evidence for the bold?
Reply 17
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
... How can you say that and say you're not a feminist?

Feminist = Women should have equal rights to men.

I don't quite understand how you can say there's nothing wrong with women wanting equality, then say you're not a feminist...

Because women can want equality as much as they want. My personal beliefs differ.

Edit - And I would never expect everyone to follow my ****ed up beliefs.

Reply 19
I was wondering when you was going to comment on this thread. Its up to you what to believe I guess

Uh-huh.
1/10 for the trolling effort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending