The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Psychology Applicants (2013 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boro123
But of course, hahaf! Looking at the guide for visiting applicants, the first day is concerned with college activities, meeting other applicants and current students. The next day, if you stay over; a guide will take you to your department for the academic side of things, perhaps an overview leture similar to that of the open day. So if I'm to absorb anything important the next day and make a positive impression, I best behave myself lol.

My 18th birthday is March 15th, and the post-app days begin March 18th, so really I'm just begging to use my ID.

That sounds fun! It would be weird if everyone off this thread ended up meeting up one day. Lucky you, my birthday isn't until May so I'll still be 17! However, it doesn't hit me too hard as most of my friends are younger than me :wink: It's not good for me talking so highly of Durham when I still have the possibility of being rejected, so I best can it before I make things worse!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by emilypsychology
That sounds fun! It would be weird if everyone off this thread ended up meeting up one day. Lucky you, my birthday isn't until May so I'll still be 17! However, it doesn't hit me too hard as most of my friends are younger than me :wink: It's not good for me talking so highly of Durham when I still have the possibility of being rejected, so I best can it before I make things worse!

I'm not sure if I have asked this before, but what makes you so certain your going to be rejected from Durham? Live in hope! :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Boro123
Tuesday... we get to find about our colleges, right?
If that is correct, then I am also buzzing :smile: Where did you apply to?

Yes, I believe so, if we already have offers.
I applied to University, although I doubt I'll get in as it's so popular, but thought I might as well anyway. Honestly, I really like most of the colleges, so I'll be more than happy wherever I end up! You applied to Trevelyan right? Looks so good there - a friend from the year above is there at the moment :smile:
Original post by Boro123
I'm not sure if I have asked this before, but what makes you so certain your going to be rejected from Durham? Live in hope! :smile:

My GCSE grades aren't all A*s and As. I have only taken 3 A Levels and an EPQ. I take 1 science A Level and that's in Psychology itself. I'm predicted AAA and the majority of applicants have A* predictions (however I have got As in every exam I've taken to date). Basically the majority of my life I've been told that I would never get the best grades or go to the best places so I've been made to feel that I'm unworthy of such prestigious universities. I think all the odds play against me to be quite honest. I hate to be all negative as I'm actually quite a positive person about everything else, but I'm only negative about this so if I do get rejected at least it is kind of expected :rolleyes:
Reply 84
My GCSE grades aren't all A*s and As. I have only taken 3 A Levels and an EPQ. I take 1 science A Level and that's in Psychology itself. I'm predicted AAA and the majority of applicants have A* predictions (however I have got As in every exam I've taken to date). Basically the majority of my life I've been told that I would never get the best grades or go to the best places so I've been made to feel that I'm unworthy of such prestigious universities. I think all the odds play against me to be quite honest. I hate to be all negative as I'm actually quite a positive person about everything else, but I'm only negative about this so if I do get rejected at least it is kind of expected :rolleyes:

I can understand why you don't want to get your hopes up- I do the same thing- but quite honestly, I think you deserve an offer. I go to a state school, so most applicants only have 3 A-Levels (4 if you want to study general studies alone and turn up for the exams). I know Durham is highly regarded for psychology, but it's the dog's *******s when it comes to history, and two of my friends recently got history offers from Durham. They did not get a string of A*s and As at GCSE- they deffo got some, but they were mixed results (weak sciences etc). One of them got a C at AS Level, the other a B, along with A's. I don't know if they got even one A* predicted grade, but they got in. Proves what a good personal statement can mean :smile: Though I have to say, they are worthy offer holders lol.

On a personal note (this will sound cheesey), don't listen to the nay-sayers. Many people have told me that there were certain things in my life I could and could not do, and I make it a point of honour to prove them wrong partially. During my GCSE's I was very ill, and during the exams I was being cared for at the RVI in Newcastle. I was critically ill, and told that I may not get into 6th form due to my grades. They would cut me some slack because I very ill, but I would have to meet some requirements. Doctors also told me I may never walk again- it was a horrible time. Anyway, to cut an unpleasant story short, I got 7A*s and 6As. I know some people did better, but I had to go above and beyond to achieve those grades, which no one thought I could possibly achieve given the circumstances.

Nature loves a tryer! I didn't mean to go on a rant about my education or anything lol, but just because someone tells you the odds are against you doesn't make it impossible. Even if you didn't get an offer, think you'd do just fine :smile:
Original post by Boro123
I can understand why you don't want to get your hopes up- I do the same thing- but quite honestly, I think you deserve an offer. I go to a state school, so most applicants only have 3 A-Levels (4 if you want to study general studies alone and turn up for the exams). I know Durham is highly regarded for psychology, but it's the dog's *******s when it comes to history, and two of my friends recently got history offers from Durham. They did not get a string of A*s and As at GCSE- they deffo got some, but they were mixed results (weak sciences etc). One of them got a C at AS Level, the other a B, along with A's. I don't know if they got even one A* predicted grade, but they got in. Proves what a good personal statement can mean :smile: Though I have to say, they are worthy offer holders lol.

On a personal note (this will sound cheesey), don't listen to the nay-sayers. Many people have told me that there were certain things in my life I could and could not do, and I make it a point of honour to prove them wrong partially. During my GCSE's I was very ill, and during the exams I was being cared for at the RVI in Newcastle. I was critically ill, and told that I may not get into 6th form due to my grades. They would cut me some slack because I very ill, but I would have to meet some requirements. Doctors also told me I may never walk again- it was a horrible time. Anyway, to cut an unpleasant story short, I got 7A*s and 6As. I know some people did better, but I had to go above and beyond to achieve those grades, which no one thought I could possibly achieve given the circumstances.

Nature loves a tryer! I didn't mean to go on a rant about my education or anything lol, but just because someone tells you the odds are against you doesn't make it impossible. Even if you didn't get an offer, think you'd do just fine :smile:

No it's very reassuring! But it is very peculiar about you being ill in the RVI as I spent many months in the RVI in the run up to my GCSEs and during the exams for my mother who suffered a traumatic brain injury who was in ICU and HDU D: I wrote about her though briefly in my introduction of my personal statement and how it prompted my interest in psychology :smile:

I do think I wrote a half decent personal statement. It all kind of interlinks :smile: I think the only thing I can do is wait and see. It is driving me mad though as I had an awful year last year personally and my exams have literally stressed me out big time as they didn't go as well as I hoped for. Just in need of some good news to pep me up!
Reply 86
No it's very reassuring! But it is very peculiar about you being ill in the RVI as I spent many months in the RVI in the run up to my GCSEs and during the exams for my mother who suffered a traumatic brain injury who was in ICU and HDU D: I wrote about her though briefly in my introduction of my personal statement and how it prompted my interest in psychology :smile:

I do think I wrote a half decent personal statement. It all kind of interlinks :smile: I think the only thing I can do is wait and see. It is driving me mad though as I had an awful year last year personally and my exams have literally stressed me out big time as they didn't go as well as I hoped for. Just in need of some good news to pep me up!

First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your Mam, I hope she is making a good recovery. It gets a little strange here, because my Dad suffered a very severe brain injury also, when I was 9. I'd go into details, but you'll know how a brain injury can change someone and how difficult and horrible it can be. But that's an awful coincidence. I mentioned it briefly in my intro too, and I've been told it was very effective. Not that it should have been about that, but still.

I suppose it sounds like I'm making it up lol, but this is a very odd coincidence. Whilst it wrecked my world at the time, I imagine you had it worse because you were older. My Dad was kept in Hartlepool, so it must have been serious to be at the RVI. I'll shut up about it now, I'm just amazed by the coincidence. I'm sure they will take this into account with your grades.

Lets focus on positives then :smile: You may have mentioned this earlier, but have you had any other offers?
Original post by Boro123
First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your Mam, I hope she is making a good recovery. It gets a little strange here, because my Dad suffered a very severe brain injury also, when I was 9. I'd go into details, but you'll know how a brain injury can change someone and how difficult and horrible it can be. But that's an awful coincidence. I mentioned it briefly in my intro too, and I've been told it was very effective. Not that it should have been about that, but still.

I suppose it sounds like I'm making it up lol, but this is a very odd coincidence. Whilst it wrecked my world at the time, I imagine you had it worse because you were older. My Dad was kept in Hartlepool, so it must have been serious to be at the RVI. I'll shut up about it now, I'm just amazed by the coincidence. I'm sure they will take this into account with your grades.

Lets focus on positives then :smile: You may have mentioned this earlier, but have you had any other offers?

That is very peculiar! Yes same, it has had quite adverse effects on me emotionally with the lack of support and having a lack of motherly figure anymore. I dislike how it changes someone, I think the worst thing is I didn't expect it to change someone so dramatically. I've had time to deal with it though so I've kind of hardened my self up to the whole situation. It's given me a drive to exceed in education, along with it prompting my interest in neuropsychology. Overall, pretty odd coincidence but it's nice because I've never spoken to someone who has had a similar event happen to them before.

Yes, positives! I have offers from Nottingham, Sheffield and Sunderland. No Durham and York as of yet. Fingers crossed for Durham, I've tried so hard during my A Levels just to try get into there so lets hope for the best :smile:
Reply 88
That is very peculiar! Yes same, it has had quite adverse effects on me emotionally with the lack of support and having a lack of motherly figure anymore. I dislike how it changes someone, I think the worst thing is I didn't expect it to change someone so dramatically. I've had time to deal with it though so I've kind of hardened my self up to the whole situation. It's given me a drive to exceed in education, along with it prompting my interest in neuropsychology. Overall, pretty odd coincidence but it's nice because I've never spoken to someone who has had a similar event happen to them before.

Yes, positives! I have offers from Nottingham, Sheffield and Sunderland. No Durham and York as of yet. Fingers crossed for Durham, I've tried so hard during my A Levels just to try get into there so lets hope for the best :smile:

You seem very well adjusted, so that's beyond admirable. If you ever did want to talk about it though, don't hesitate to PM me. As you know too well, these things don't disappear over night, or ever in some cases.

Congrats on the offers! This will sound stupid, but I had a bit of hassle booking my Durham open day, so I got annoyed and decided not to apply and visit Nottingham instead. As fate would have it, I didn't really enjoy Nottingham and decided to get over my mood with Durham. Never regretted it hahaf. But I have friends applying to Sheffield who think it's the best thing ever. I prefer my choices, but it has a great reputation for psychology, so congrats :smile: Sunderland is also pretty good mind, but I can see it as a back up rather than a potential firm choice or anything. No offence intended- I was in the same mind when debating applying to Teesside :smile:
Original post by Boro123
You seem very well adjusted, so that's beyond admirable. If you ever did want to talk about it though, don't hesitate to PM me. As you know too well, these things don't disappear over night, or ever in some cases.

Congrats on the offers! This will sound stupid, but I had a bit of hassle booking my Durham open day, so I got annoyed and decided not to apply and visit Nottingham instead. As fate would have it, I didn't really enjoy Nottingham and decided to get over my mood with Durham. Never regretted it hahaf. But I have friends applying to Sheffield who think it's the best thing ever. I prefer my choices, but it has a great reputation for psychology, so congrats :smile: Sunderland is also pretty good mind, but I can see it as a back up rather than a potential firm choice or anything. No offence intended- I was in the same mind when debating applying to Teesside :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Sunderland had a lovely friendly department but I didn't particularly like the lack of facilities and the fact they ask for low grades/points. Sunderland was to just fill up choices really along with York. How come you didn't enjoy Nottingham? :smile: I was so smug when I managed to book the last two places on the psychology talk at Durham for me and my dad. I hate the booking system, such a hassle!
Reply 90
Thank you :smile:

Sunderland had a lovely friendly department but I didn't particularly like the lack of facilities and the fact they ask for low grades/points. Sunderland was to just fill up choices really along with York. How come you didn't enjoy Nottingham? :smile: I was so smug when I managed to book the last two places on the psychology talk at Durham for me and my dad. I hate the booking system, such a hassle!

I had previously stayed at the university of Nottingham for a psychology day thing, and the accommodation wasn't great. That didn't put me off or anything, but I didn't like the site or the size of the university. I like small! So really, I couldn't justify going that far away from home for Nottingham (although 2 hours is pretty reasonable really).

The booking system annoyed because I waited until what I believed was the first day of booking, to find psychology was booked out. That and you didn't really need to book colleges, you could wander where ever you liked lol. Did enjoy the Department lecture for psychology though- it was very thorough, getting into the real knitty gritty aspects of research, which was promising :smile: I think a few people looked bored like lol
Original post by Boro123
I had previously stayed at the university of Nottingham for a psychology day thing, and the accommodation wasn't great. That didn't put me off or anything, but I didn't like the site or the size of the university. I like small! So really, I couldn't justify going that far away from home for Nottingham (although 2 hours is pretty reasonable really).

The booking system annoyed because I waited until what I believed was the first day of booking, to find psychology was booked out. That and you didn't really need to book colleges, you could wander where ever you liked lol. Did enjoy the Department lecture for psychology though- it was very thorough, getting into the real knitty gritty aspects of research, which was promising :smile: I think a few people looked bored like lol

It took us about 5 hours to drive to Nottingham for the open day, leaving at 8, stopping for tea for half an hour at my aunties on the way down and then the rest of the journey. Wasn't too bad as I was sat sleeping the whole way down haha! Yes Nottingham is massive but beautiful and the university is all in one place really :smile:

You didn't really need to book anything to be honest, people just showed up regardless. Only really needed it for when the bar code was scanned at registration from the print out of the conformation email. I enjoyed the lecture too, my dad enjoyed it more so probably, he couldn't stop singing Durham's praises afterwards. The guy who did the lecture when I was there was on Look North on the BBC a month after due his research on babies. Amazed when I went as there was a ridiculous girl to boy ratio, so many girls and only two boys!
Reply 92
It took us about 5 hours to drive to Nottingham for the open day, leaving at 8, stopping for tea for half an hour at my aunties on the way down and then the rest of the journey. Wasn't too bad as I was sat sleeping the whole way down haha! Yes Nottingham is massive but beautiful and the university is all in one place really :smile:

You didn't really need to book anything to be honest, people just showed up regardless. Only really needed it for when the bar code was scanned at registration from the print out of the conformation email. I enjoyed the lecture too, my dad enjoyed it more so probably, he couldn't stop singing Durham's praises afterwards. The guy who did the lecture when I was there was on Look North on the BBC a month after due his research on babies. Amazed when I went as there was a ridiculous girl to boy ratio, so many girls and only two boys!

Where-ever I have been, there has always been a rough 10:1 girl-boy ratio, but Durham was full of girls, yes. I take it as a badge of honour really. Whilst you shouldn't pick a course just because of sex ratio, I like being of a few boys lol.

The research hit me a little later too. I was looking for some research relating to topics studied in A2 psychology I could write about to advertise the course, and came across this fantastic Durham study- based on several questionnaires, a computer programme was able to produce male and female faces of 'ideal' attractiveness. This related greatly to evolutionary psychology, and looked like a lot of fun for people who wouldn't otherwise be interested! I think it would be great if the study was recreated else where in the world- there just has to be regional differences.
Original post by Boro123
Where-ever I have been, there has always been a rough 10:1 girl-boy ratio, but Durham was full of girls, yes. I take it as a badge of honour really. Whilst you shouldn't pick a course just because of sex ratio, I like being of a few boys lol.

The research hit me a little later too. I was looking for some research relating to topics studied in A2 psychology I could write about to advertise the course, and came across this fantastic Durham study- based on several questionnaires, a computer programme was able to produce male and female faces of 'ideal' attractiveness. This related greatly to evolutionary psychology, and looked like a lot of fun for people who wouldn't otherwise be interested! I think it would be great if the study was recreated else where in the world- there just has to be regional differences.

I don't understand why more boys don't apply for Psychology. There's no particularly feminine basis about it.

I agree. What a fascinating study. I would love to do evolutionary psychology modules just for fun as it's highly interesting but it's not particularly where I would like to lay my career. Have you done evolutionary psychology at A2? I don't get the option to do anything along those lines unfortunately.
Has anyone got their college allocation today? I got Grey :biggrin: so happy
Reply 95
Original post by ginaaitchison12

I haven't heard :frown: Really wanted University. Owh. I know they send them out in batches, but sounds like most people on here who already have offers have heard.

Well done! :smile:
Original post by ginaaitchison12

Congratulations! I hope I can be joining you at Grey some day, still waiting on a reply off Psychology but they said they won't send the majority of replies out until February :frown:
Original post by _Izzy
I haven't heard :frown: Really wanted University. Owh. I know they send them out in batches, but sounds like most people on here who already have offers have heard.

Well done! :smile:

Thank you :smile: I know some people who don't have a college yet, so don't give up hope!
Reply 98
I got Trevs today, so I'm well chuffed :smile:

In response to emilypsychology, we did a little evolutionary psychology at A2 but not in great detail. Triver's theory of parental investment, and how adaptive characteristics become common in a population over successive generations. To be honest, you learn just as much in biology. I recently read Triver's new book 'Deception' which covered loads of stuff I've never considered. Also delved a little into Maynard-Smith, but that could also apply to economics. Either way, I'm afraid it's an effort to get into evolutionary psychology lol. I also enjoy it, but it's hard to relate it to a future career (uness it was research or something).
Congratulations! I hope I can be joining you at Grey some day, still waiting on a reply off Psychology but they said they won't send the majority of replies out until February :frown:

I'm sure you'll get an offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending